Finally a build thread, and a name. (Warning, pic heavy) - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 300 Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I started on the rear disk conversion install.

Started.

Pulled the passenger shaft, had one hell of a battle getting the bearing off the shaft, ended up splitting both the retaining ring and the inner race.

Drum roll please....

O'Reilly's sold me the wrong ****ing bearings! :

Add to this the fact that I now discover the Teraflex caliper mounts need to be re-drilled (backing plates actually are slotted and will fit), and my retaining plates will need to be modified to fit the Teraflex backing plates.

Bolt-on kit my ***!

I suspect I may be going back with the drums for now, it kinda depends. I guess I'm gonna have to do a little more research on making this kit fit. Depending on the vendor, it's supposed to fit the 44, but others don't claim that at all.

I'll get back on here with some pics of what I've found so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 300 Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
OK, I decided that if I'm gonna have to re-machine these caliper brackets to fit my axle, I might as well go another route.

I shot Teraflex a message, to see if they would be willing to trade me brackets (with some up-charge) from the correct kit. It seems the kit I bought (004354420) has a different bolt pattern than the XJ d44. (the kit I need is 4354410) If they can't help me I'm inclined to try to sell this kit rather than going to the effort to rework it.

So now I wait. I'll see if I can get the correct bearing tomorrow, and if I manage that I'll put the drum brake back on. Depending on what Teraflex has to say about swapping out the parts I need, I may take another stab at this again in the fairly near future.

It's a pretty good looking kit. This kit was packed in 2013 according to the label on the box, so that explains the surface rust on the disks.

Bearing on the left is what the parts house sold me. The race on the right came out of the axle housing.

A shot of how far the holes are from matching my axle. The lower two are a entire hole off, the upper holes could be elongated with a die grinder, but why?

This shot gives an idea of how much grinding the retaining plate is going to require.

All in all, a frustrating experience so far.

Quote:
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #288 of 300 Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I stand corrected, those are indeed the correct bearings. I guess I owe the dude at O’Reilly's an apology.

I'll count this as a "teachable moment", just because he's a parts counter dude doesn't mean he's always wrong.

Quote:

post #289 of 300 Old 10-06-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Next time she asks "What do you want for (fill in the blank, Christmas, birthday, etc)?"

Shoot her this link.

Motive 0250 Pressure Bleeder

Unless she wants to spend more than $90, in which case this link is the one...

Motive 0260 Pressure Bleeder

Yeah, you can build your own for less money, but the adapters on these work really well, so there is that.

The first time you have to bleed brakes or a clutch, you'll understand why I suggest these.

Quote:

post #290 of 300 Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I was about to comment on those bearings and I see you figured it out. I was helping a friend replace a shaft in his rubi44 the other day and thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #291 of 300 Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Last night I did a "cosmetic".

Before:

And, after:

It's just rattle can, so won't last forever, but it looks better than the rattle can flat black that it covered.

On a completely different topic, here's some shots on something that's been keeping me busy for the last few weeks.

We got my wife's Pug female (I put "*****" in here, the censor deleted it! LOL) bred this summer, these are a few of the results. They say the average Pug litter (especially a first litter) is 3 to 4. Our little girl pumped out 6! We've been kept busy feeding, cleaning, etc ever since. Two are going to family, one is sold and I think I have one more sold at this point. So only two more to find homes for (I gotta get 'em spoken for soon, or the wife is gonna keep one...or two).
JeepN4KC likes this.

Quote:

post #292 of 300 Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yesterday I got the RADesigns Rail and toggle switch installed. Today I attempted the wiring of same.

Anyone thinking of doing this mod, don't do what I did. I bought this damn thing about two years ago. It's been rattling around behind the driver's seat, in the garage, and back again many times. I thought I was gonna wear it out just moving it around before I got it installed.

My employer has this neat engraver, which allowed me to create a custom switchplate. Not sure if this is the final design on this or not however, so I mounted it with velcro.

I did lose the view of the t-case shifter position. Not the end of the world.

I chose the toggle switch location for a couple different reasons, mainly due to the proximity of everything I needed to connect it to. The orientation (Rail position up, TCU down) was not quite arbitrary. I decided that the Rail will probably mostly be used when offroad, and usually in 4wd, so it just seemed to make sense to place it this way. I had limited locations available for the shifter itself, I wanted it where I could reach it for ease of shifting.

The wiring instructions that come with the Rail shifter are somewhat wonky and difficult to follow. I found other sources of info and kinda put everything together into something I could follow. One of the worst moments was when my documentation listed "blue w/ white stripe" as one of the shift solenoid wires I needed to cut near the TCU. Try as I might, I just couldn't find a blue & white wire. Studying the pin chart for my TCU solved the question, the other wire was violet & white and was obvious, the "blue & white" wire was the neighboring pin and the blue was so dark as to appear black. Once this issue was sorted out things went pretty well.

The only drive I've taken with the new shifter was against a headwind, so I don't know if the Rail has somehow affected my torque converter lock-up or if the headwind was enough to force additional throttle. I may have to wire a TC lock-up switch to use on the highway if there is a problem.

One more thing I'll mention for now, I'm parking the Rail shifter in the 4th gear position for a reason. I figure if the toggle switch ever gets bumped while at speed (from TCU to Rail) I'd rather have the transmission shift into overdrive at 60 than first!

Quote:

post #293 of 300 Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Well, I've been dealing with "life on life's terms" for the last few months.

Holidays, complete with their traditional insanity. Worked through most of 'em.

Had a sibling pass between Thanksgiving and Christmas, kinda threw things off balance for a while.

The wife's car broke down. Honda del Sol, has been uber-reliable for years, just quit on the side of the road. It's a long boring story, but it seems to be a bad ECU, so we're waiting on a reman unit to show up.

Because her car was down, she was driving mine (1987 Saab 900) when another driver violated the sanctity of her lane. He got cited, she got banged up, the car... totaled.

img_2530.jpg

0107191400a.jpg

It drove onto the trailer. Runs fine, drove it around the parking lot before I loaded it, and it seems to drive just fine also. Seems a shame to send it to a crusher. I started to get a little emotional when I was cleaning my junk out of it.

Does anyone wanna build a Gambler 500 rig out of it?

Checking Craigslist yielded a replacement.

cl1.jpg

1994 Saab 9000 Aero turbo.

It'll do.

As far as the Jeep goes, I ordered one of Nick's REMs tonight, he's already got it out for shipment... the outfit I bought the Honda ECU from could learn a thing or two from him.

Last item for tonight, also on Craigslist, I scored an EVO SS Gimbal.

EVO SS

I'm pretty sure this will go a long way towards making future wheeling videos more watchable.

Quote:

post #294 of 300 Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I've been concentrating on tackling some of the "deferred maintenance" on the new daily so the Jeep has been waiting it's turn. Tonight I gave it a little love, I hope to put some of this to the test soon.

First thing that got done tonight was wiring and installing my REM II. I finally settled on the corner of the dash alongside the driver side "A" pillar. There really isn't any reason to mount it in the center of the dash, unless I decide I want it in frame of the GoPro.

img_2650-1-.jpg

img_2652-1-.jpg

The most difficult part of this install was getting the plug on the Ethernet Cord through the grommet. I used the hole the back window washer hose goes through. As I no longer have a pump for the back window washer, the loss of the hose is of no consequence.

The next project was figuring out a mounting location for the gimbal I mentioned in my last post. What I finally came up with was using the GoPro suction cup mount coupled with the flexible arm that came with the clamp mount. The final configuration looks kinda busy, but I think it'll work pretty well. It places the camera directly beneath the mirror.

img_2646-1-.jpg

img_2645-1-.jpg

img_2655-1-.jpg

Stay tuned, I'll try to get some video to upload as soon as I get a chance.

Quote:

post #295 of 300 Old 12-07-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Well, I'm back. Don't know if that's gonna be considered a good thing or not by the XJ public. LMAO

Installed a 21 slot grill that I've had sitting around for a couple of years. Haven't decided if I like it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201206_210552_1607325889045.jpg  
RedJeepster1 likes this.

Quote:

post #296 of 300 Old 12-07-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
On a completely different topic, I finally joined the rest of y'all and moved from the flip-phone to a smartphone. I was still happy with my dinosaur, but the hinge was half broken, so it was going to need to be replaced soon anyway.

In a discussion with my brother, he mentioned there were smartphones with a FLIR camera onboard. I did some research, and now have a Blackview BV 9900 Pro.

The first attached pic is my right rear tire after sustained freeway travel. I found that if I ran at 70 or above I would develop a serious vibration. Slowing down to 65 or so would quiet things down nicely. You can see in the image the tire is running a little bit hotter on one side. I suspect I've got some belt separation beginning in that tire.

I'm not too upset about it, I bought these tires used about 4 1/2 years ago.

The second image is just for fun, it's a shot of my black male pug peeing on something on a dark night. 😆flir_20200827t221028_1607327085134.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
flir_20201125T084409_1607326922587.jpg  

Quote:

post #297 of 300 Old 12-07-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
FLIR images

Looks like I'm losing quite a bit of resolution on the FLIR pics. I'll try a different method later, probably try using a file host & link 'em and see how that goes.

Quote:

post #298 of 300 Old 12-08-2020, 10:35 AM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Now that you have a smart phone, try downloading Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
un4gvn1 likes this.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #299 of 300 Old 12-17-2020, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
It occurs to me that I attached the wrong FLIR image.

Enjoy.

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk

Quote:

post #300 of 300 Old 02-06-2021, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Finally got new rubber. Turns out you can get five 36" Super Swampers delivered for about what you'll pay for four of most other 36s or 37s. With 1 3/4 pounds of ceramic balance beads in each, they run nice and smooth. I may need to upgrade the stereo next though.

Had one hiccup with the installation, one of the valve stems got disturbed and I ended up with a leak. Had to break it back down to replace the rubber gasket on that stem.

I'm really looking forward to getting these off the pavement, but it may be a little while. I'm scheduled to have a minor surgery on Wednesday. It's just some repair work on a finger, but I won't be doing any wheeling until it's healed up.

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk
rocdiver and RedJeepster1 like this.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in