Cherokee windshield removal/reseal question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
OLDBEAR12345
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee windshield removal/reseal question

1995 cherokee windshield leaks. No cracks, no stone chips. Weathersrtripping is cracked and dried out, got a new one ordered. I have ordered the knife to cut the glue. Are there any tutorials out there? Any information will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
jweier111

Bumping this one. OLDBEAR12345 have you found any info about this elsewhere? I've looked high and low, and can't seem to find any tutorials, images, or instructions.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 AM
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweier111 View Post
Bumping this one. OLDBEAR12345 have you found any info about this elsewhere? I've looked high and low, and can't seem to find any tutorials, images, or instructions.
do yourself the favor and pay someone to do it.

i had my window replaced in febuary. they did everything under an hour. 225 out the door. the price for the window and all the parts were going to be more than that. maybe you could call a window replacement place to see if they will do the install without a new window. the windshield is big and hard to work with without the tools they use to hold it.. and you really dont want to screw it up considering the windsheild is a big saftey concern if your in a high impact collision.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Grimm5577

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
i would like to remove/replace my seal too, the problem i have with calling a place is I need to tackle some rust when the windshield is out. and then have it put back in. no sure a shop or one of those come to you places could do that.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Please pay someone to remove it first. If you are going to do it use a 6 foot piece of piano wire. Put it through a bad spot in the seal. Have a second person help you pull it back and forth. Holding the wire with vice grips.Sawing the wire in and out. Still there is a fair chance of cracking it.Expect to pay for a new glass if you are not EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA careful. I have done this many times with 80-90% good results. The tool with a T handle on a wire will crack the glass very quickly. Been there done that.
GOOD LUCK you will need it.
Ron
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
imthehink

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Listen to everyone else and pay a professional. I paid 150 out the door with a lifetime warranty last summer and they came to me and everything was done in 30 min. Not worth the hassle doing it yourself IMO
post #7 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 06:22 AM
eatmorechickenx
1997 ZJ 

What is it with all these people saying just replace it. First of all, if you only paid 150 bucjs, you got **** quality glass. Second, just because you suck at doing something, dont assume everybody else is incapable of it. How egotistically snobby...
post #8 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 AM
StrippedTorx

8 years later.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes this is a resurrected zombie thread.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that XJ windshields are integral to the unibody structural support which is why it's a task often left to professionals.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 07:20 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorechickenx View Post
What is it with all these people saying just replace it. First of all, if you only paid 150 bucjs, you got **** quality glass. Second, just because you suck at doing something, dont assume everybody else is incapable of it. How egotistically snobby...
How arrogant, and condescending. Do you perform your own internal surgery as well ?

As already noted, the windshield on a uni-body vehicle it an integral part of the uni-body structure and the design safety features. Yes, for about $ 250 you can have brand new glass and a new gasket installed by a trained professional.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmorechickenx View Post
It's called fair warning! I've done professional windshield installs and wouldn't dare trying it with all my friends there to help.

D3<!L!>3D
post #12 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 AM
StrippedTorx

I don’t know if I would call some of those safelite repair guys “trained professionals”
post #13 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Better those guys, than a rude DIY ZJ owner.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 AM
jweier111

Wow, 8 year old thread resurrected? So I did remove mine after I responded to OLDBEAR. The only reason I took it on was because no glass place would touch it with out some additional work to the cab and I didn't have the money for a body shop to do it or for the glass guys to make two trips. I was only working part time and had more time than money or sense. If your in the kind of situation I was at the time: wait until you've got the money to pay the glass guys to come out twice .

Can you remove the windshield yourself? Maybe. But I would advise against it. It's about as dumb as resurrecting an 8 year old thread to navel gaze about the "possible" when you've never actually attempted the job yourself. And if you have...shame on you for not starting your own thread with pictures of the process so we could all share in the the laughter while you try to figure this crap out on your own

Last edited by jweier111; 06-09-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: it's 2019, you think there would be a better way to post pictures by now.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthehink View Post
Listen to everyone else and pay a professional. I paid 150 out the door with a lifetime warranty last summer and they came to me and everything was done in 30 min. Not worth the hassle doing it yourself IMO
i agree with you. and some companies will come to your home.

ps. love your avatar. my 9 year old daughter had just discovered this movie. we watch it about once a week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in