Ceramic coating & underhood temperature - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ceramic coating & underhood temperature

From what I have read, the ceramic coated headers are very expensive but imo the only way to go. Comparison of surface temperature reduction between coated & uncoated headers by fifty degrees is no small matter. Will likely have the extension pipe coated too after I add a flex joint to it. Another consideration is to have the intake manifold coated. JEEP- just empty every pocket!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2016, 02:36 PM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
From what I have read, the ceramic coated headers are very expensive but imo the only way to go. Comparison of surface temperature reduction between coated & uncoated headers by fifty degrees is no small matter. Will likely have the extension pipe coated too after I add a flex joint to it. Another consideration is to have the intake manifold coated. JEEP- just empty every pocket!
You could always buy a nice new header and ceramic coat it yourself. Opens up many more options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

@shooptube I considered that but the inside of the header needs to be coated too. The most challenging aspect is to install it without scratching it!

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 12:24 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
@shooptube I considered that but the inside of the header needs to be coated too. The most challenging aspect is to install it without scratching it!
Wrap it in painters tape or even athletic tape, then peel it all off after it's installed. Makes the no-scratch thing WAY easier, though the unwrapping will cost you a scraped knuckle or two in all likelihood.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 PM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Or just stick it in a pillow case and tape it up near the top flange. Once it's bolted to the block, you can pull the pillow case off from below.

D3<!L!>3D
post #6 of 10 Old 10-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
@shooptube I considered that but the inside of the header needs to be coated too.
I can't speak for shooptube, but when I read his comment I thought he meant that you could buy any header that you like, and then send it to a place like Jet Hot to have it coated (you would likely be able to find a local place that could do it as well). Not that you should buy the spray can stuff and actually coat it yourself....

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 PM
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Comparison of surface temperature reduction between coated & uncoated headers by fifty degrees is no small matter. Will likely have the extension pipe coated too after I add a flex joint to it. Another consideration is to have the intake manifold coated.
I got some of that spray-on ceramic stuff at NAPA.
I did the front rotors - it says to bake at ... 200 or 250 degrees F for maybe 30 min. , then after cooling, 450 or 500 F for 30 min.
After that install and get it hot ... well I don't have a real big (long enough) hill nearby , so probably not completely cured yet ?

Should be simpler for headers, down-pipe, muffler? - (I'd like to do those too soon)

4-wheeling is about going where others can't won't or don't think it's safe.
Freedom. Exploring the wilderness, or nature, whatever... - NOT paying to go on someone's roller-coaster ride, or go-cart track!
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have not looked into the cost of having a header coated but it is likely the header manufacturer that provides the ceramic coating will offer a better warranty but not certain. I like the pillow case solution! Likely to go with brown construction paper & a lot of tape. Much to do before I get to this but I do like to plan my expenses ahead! Thanks to all for the comments & suggestions!
post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have not looked into the cost of having a header coated but it is likely the header manufacturer that provides the ceramic coating will offer a better warranty but not certain. I like the pillow case solution! Likely to go with brown construction paper & a lot of tape. Much to do before I get to this but I do like to plan my expenses ahead! Thanks to all for the comments & suggestions!
I haven't looked lately, but Jet Hot used to offer a real lifetime warranty on anything they sold or coated. I had a friend warranty a set of small block chevy headers that had been left in weeds behind a shop for 8+ years, no issues from Jet Hot. He paid to send them back to them and they cleaned them up, re-coated them, and mailed them back in just over a week.

Their service isn't cheap, but if their quality and service is still at or near that level, they are definitely worth looking in to.

- Justin

1992 Cherokee Laredo - mostly stock, DD. 300k miles and counting

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
75SV1

I did have a set of headers done by Jet Coat in the mid 90's. It was $300. Quality work. I haven't run that car much. I also coated the trans tunnel. Made a huge difference. '75 Bricklin. Make an XJ seem like a refrigerator. Also, had a set of the Armour coat Pace Setters. Held up for at least a year. Some chips around the edges. I did have a local shop do a -00+ intake. I can't remember the price. A lot of the price is sandblasting. So, if you have acces to one, it might same some $$.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in