Buying an XJ, things to watch out for - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
ASHtheBass
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Buying an XJ, things to watch out for

I am planning to purchase an xj within the next year or so. I know there are things to watch out for like underbody rust and the 0331 head cracking. I am also aware that the 4.0 tends to overheat. I've also heard of the power windows and door speakers going out, but I'm not to worried about that.

I heard that '96 and '99 were good years to buy.

I was hoping to get one with the 4.0 I6
I don't have a preference over manual to auto
I definitely want 4wd

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer some suggestions or simply things to look out for when purchasing an xj. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 PM
CEScuzzy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHtheBass View Post
I am planning to purchase an xj within the next year or so. I know there are things to watch out for like underbody rust and the 0331 head cracking. I am also aware that the 4.0 tends to overheat. I've also heard of the power windows and door speakers going out, but I'm not to worried about that.

I heard that '96 and '99 were good years to buy.

I was hoping to get one with the 4.0 I6
I don't have a preference over manual to auto
I definitely want 4wd

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer some suggestions or simply things to look out for when purchasing an xj. Thanks.
After having bought one, the only thing I'd encourage you to avoid, if you can, is the California Emissions package. It makes replacing catalytic converters much more expensive. 0331 heads will either crack or they won't, but if you maintain the cooling system properly and avoid overheating the engine, you should be fine for a long while. The window and speaker issues are easily repairable, it's usually just adding a jumper or running new wires. The rear hatch can have that problem sometimes as well, which will render the rear wiper and defroster inactive. Once again, just a matter of fixing some wiring.

Models with ABS had the Dana 35 rear axle, which is looked down upon versus the Chrysler Corporate 8.25 that came in non-ABS models.

Every year model has its own quirks. Considering the age of the vehicles, that's no surprise. You'll want to go through any XJ you buy and decide what does and doesn't need to be changed.

Best plan is simply to plan out what you want to do with it and then choose the model with the options that get you as close as possible for the best deal possible.

-Scuzz

"Some Assembly Required" is a target, not a deterrent.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
ASHtheBass
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply, Scuzzy.

I found this awesome article, a buyers guide foe xjs:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...-buyers-guide/

It was very helpful especially for first time xj owners. If you're looking to buy an xj, you should check this out.

Tags
advice , buying , cherokee , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in