Build Thread - Project Punisher - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-14-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Build Thread - Project Punisher

Well after selling my red XJ a couple years ago I caught the bug again. Started a new build about a month ago and I figured i've made enough progress to start a new build thread. Hope you enjoy.

I would also like to thank Jason from www.jeepinoutfitters.com for once again providing excellent customer service and quick deliveries. The bulk of the parts seen in this thread have been or are going to be purchased through him.

The beginning.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport (175k miles, CA truck virtually zero rust)
Auto trans
231 TCase
8.25 in the rear
No leaks

Plans:
4.5" RE lift (kind of a hybrid)
TnT LA Kit
AA SYE
Fox 2.0 RES shocks in front (possibly rear also though I might end up going through the floor in a few months).
4.56 gears
ARB Front/Rear
D30 30spl conversion
RuffStuff covers F/R
c8.25 disc conversion
Some type of F/R bumpers, Gas tank skid, misc armor, and rocker guards (not sure what yet)
Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4.0 BS
Wrangler MTR 35's
Plus some other odds and ends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's Not Just a Jeep, It's a Lifestyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-14-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Started with pulling apart the rear end.

Took axle out to freshen up.

Pulled shafts/cleaned inside of housing. Installed new wheel studs for disk conversion. Installed new backing plates. Protecting with Ruff Stuff cover (highly recommended).

Back inside jeep.

post #3 of 25 Old 08-14-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Onto SYE and TnT LA Bellypan install.

AA SYE. I installed with the SYE still inside the jeep thinking I would save time. However i feel like it took me the same amount of time as it has in the past. In the future I would probably pull it out to install so i'm not on the ground all day. Probably took 4.5-5 hours (with a trip to napa).

This was my first time installing the TnT Bellypan. It took me a bit to actually figure out what the directions were saying. I ended up just getting into it and then the directions started making sense. Probably took 3 hours to install. I HIGHLY recommend using a 90* drill to cut the holes, much easier. Install ended up clean (will be adding stiffeners as well as painting rails in the near future.

So far very impressed with the TnT LA Bellypan. Huge amount of added coverage and I think I could drop the jeep on it without any problem at all.

post #4 of 25 Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

And the front begins.

Out with the old.

Mocked ride height

post #5 of 25 Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Will be getting the rest of the front end lift put together in the next two days.

Just to piss people off it should be noted that I have only needed to use PB Blaster on one bolt. Nothing broken thus far

Any questions or suggestions about the build or anything else feel free....

post #6 of 25 Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 PM
RedJeepster1
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
You got the leaf springs out without the use of a sawzaw? That just isnt fair.... Great looking start to the build. Jealous of the super clean Jeep. I would love to find one like that. Unfortunately it's hard to come across such a thing in New England. As is my Jeep came from Florida 5 years ago and has already lost its rocker panels.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Silver XJ, 4.0, AW4 with 350k+, Locked C8.25 w/ Chromos, Trussed hp30, 4.56's, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's
post #7 of 25 Old 08-16-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

They came off pretty easy...only issue I had was my breaker bar is too big to put a pipe around it. One of the bolts was pretty stubborn so I threw a pipe around a craftsman 3/8 driver and busted the internal teeth. Tried again with a Napa brand 3/8 wrench and worked like a charm.

Lucky Sears has an easy warrienty. Though over the years I have learned to love craftsman sockets and hate their drivers.

post #8 of 25 Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Today's progress, LCA mount removal. 6 cutoff wheels later....

post #9 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 12:26 PM
lowrnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJK View Post
Today's progress, LCA mount removal. 6 cutoff wheels later....

I just got done removing mine this past weekend as well. After bending a sawzall blade and exploding a cut off wheel i changed tactics and drilled out all of the spot welds the pried it off. I don't think it took any longer and it left a nicer surface for frame stiffeners.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrnu View Post
I just got done removing mine this past weekend as well. After bending a sawzall blade and exploding a cut off wheel i changed tactics and drilled out all of the spot welds the pried it off. I don't think it took any longer and it left a nicer surface for frame stiffeners.
Ya there's really no good way to go about it. I was stuck with cutoff wheels only. I exploded two...

My finished product ended up better than I expected but took a lot of grinding after the fact. I'm surprised I didn't burn out my cheap grinder.

post #11 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
I'm surprised I didn't burn out my cheap grinder.
Harbor Freight special? Mine is holding strong and I am very surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #12 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a harbor freight special for a couple years until I attempted to use it and found that it burnt out. Current one is hardware store special 35$ porter cable that has worked like a champ so far. Knock on wood

post #13 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 05:51 PM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
I had a harbor freight special for a couple years until I attempted to use it and found that it burnt out. Current one is hardware store special 35$ porter cable that has worked like a champ so far. Knock on wood
Porter cable is great. I have their cordless impacts and drills and they are amazing for working on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:

Instagram:
post #14 of 25 Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My first experience with them, so far so good. All my cordless stuff is dewalt.

Today's progress.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 PM
b16gsr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

following along, love the white XJ's.

2000 Cherokee
1998 Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in