JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Audio Upgrades? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/audio-upgrades-4401213/)

snyper82 06-17-2020 07:57 AM

Audio Upgrades?

What have you done to improve your XJs sound?
speakers used?
baffles?
sound mat?
amps?
head units?

I'm in need to some better, not blown speakers and I'd like to have some better quality sound, nothing amazing, but improved.

kluttsy01 06-17-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper82 (Post 40995783)

speakers used?

baffles?

sound mat?

amps?

head units?

I'm in need to some better, not blown speakers and I'd like to have some better quality sound, nothing amazing, but improved.

I went with the skar tx5.25 in my doors and sound bar, kenwood kdc-bt378u because it had the 6 pre amp outputs, a skar sk-m9005d 5 channel amp to power the components and sub, and a skar vd-10 shallow in the cargo area as shown in the pic. I could not be happier with the sound quality or price of everything. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...25ca800290.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

snyper82 06-17-2020 12:44 PM

Nice, and I like the enclosure! who made it, you?

soapy 06-17-2020 01:44 PM

I went with pioneer speakers all around and tuner. I saw on you tube some place is making a new center moulding that lets you put a double din radio unit in.

kluttsy01 06-17-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper82 (Post 40996167)
Nice, and I like the enclosure! who made it, you?

My buddy owns an audio shop so I had him throw it together but you can find the exact one online for around 120 I think.

Michaelj51 06-17-2020 02:03 PM

Replaced the factory AM/FM/Tape deck with a Retrosound AM/FM with digital AUX inputs [1/8" and USB] for my digital PONO Player... The Retrosound was available in the same DIN size so I didn't have to futz around with the dash trim. For the music I listen to [Americana, Scots/Irish trad/folk, Classical...] the factory speakers have been just fine (other than fixing the ever frustrating door to body wiring).

hispls 06-17-2020 02:25 PM

Q-Logic makes a custom kick panel that'll fit your Jeep. I've got their custom kicks in my Grand Cherokee and the imaging is excellent. I run midbass woofers in my doors (heavily deadened), midrange and tweets in the kicks off a 6 channel amp. We used the Q-logic kicks in my brother's civic with a set of components in the doors and a set in the kicks and that sounds great too.

Anyway, they're a little spendy, but performance is excellent and they look like something that came from the factory.

Your generation Cherokee can get very loud, There's a few in the competition circuit in the northeast.

TheBoogieman 06-18-2020 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sony high powered head unit ($110) and 4 MTX speakers ($44 a pair) from Crutchfield.com. They have very good bass for a 6.5" speaker. So much better than stock and budget friendly.

kadetklapp 06-19-2020 02:30 AM

I recently got the double din dash bezel and am trying to decide what head unit to get. My XJ only has front door speakers, so obviously sound quality isn’t good anyway. Getting some Kilmat to put on roof before I reinstall headliner. But that’s more for temp control and exterior noise.

Serokee 06-19-2020 02:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kluttsy01 (Post 40995987)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper82 (Post 40995783)

speakers used?

baffles?

sound mat?

amps?

head units?

I went with the skar tx5.25 in my doors and sound bar, kenwood kdc-bt378u because it had the 6 pre amp outputs, a skar sk-m9005d 5 channel amp to power the components and sub, and a skar vd-10 shallow in the cargo area as shown in the pic. I could not be happier with the sound quality or price of everything. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2020...25ca800290.jpg

If subwoofee is installed there, what does inside metal surfaces need? Just mat or does it need plywood box etc inside?

Thats nice place and wont eat cargo room

kluttsy01 06-19-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serokee (Post 40997847)
If subwoofee is installed there, what does inside metal surfaces need? Just mat or does it need plywood box etc inside?

He just cut out the plastic "cargo area" and built a box to fit.

Serokee 06-19-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluttsy01 (Post 40998247)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serokee (Post 40997847)

He just cut out the plastic "cargo area" and built a box to fit.

So box is closed all the way? What is box's volume ?

kluttsy01 06-19-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serokee (Post 40998283)
So box is closed all the way? What is box's volume ?

Yes its just a sealed box, im not sure the volume. I just told him what I wanted and let him do his thing.

snyper82 06-22-2020 04:56 PM

I went with some cheap $25 pioneer 6.5, I had an old Sony xplode radio but my wife got me a new kenwood digital media receiver, can't wait to get that in.
I went cheap on the speakers to use the rest of my budget on poly-fill, sound mat, foam weather strip, wire, and aluminum tape.
I sealed off the doors and poly-filled all four speaker locations, sound deadened the roof behind the rears and most of the inside of the front doors. I also used the weather strip on the ring of the speakers to keep them from metal to metal vibration. [emoji38]
These cheap speaks sound tons better than factory!!

hispls 06-23-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snyper82 (Post 41000895)
I went cheap on the speakers to use the rest of my budget on poly-fill, sound mat, foam weather strip, wire, and aluminum tape.
I sealed off the doors and poly-filled all four speaker locations, sound deadened the roof behind the rears and most of the inside of the front doors. I also used the weather strip on the ring of the speakers to keep them from metal to metal vibration. [emoji38]
These cheap speaks sound tons better than factory!!

Dunno if I'd ever go 25$ cheap on components but from my experience money spent in sound deadening is a good bang for your buck. Obviously there's a point of great diminishing returns but the good news is that will always be done for the life of the vehicle and if you ever want better speaker later they'll sound better too.

The time now is 04:24 PM.