AIC's BFG - Build thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 516 Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up an electric impact wrench, we'll see how it does tonight, but tonight is the night I volunteer at an employment center so I won't be home until later tonight...

89 Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 05:15 AM
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

PB Blaster is going to be a necessity. I used the the handle to a jack to use as a breaker bar on mine. The front spring bolt was stuck. So it was a pain in the arse.

Best to start soaking in PB now before you start.
post #138 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've been hitting it with pb blaster since aug. I have broken a socket and a breaker bar. Next up is the impact wrench. See what that does.

89 Cherokee

post #139 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 AM
JeepN4KC
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

You are probably gonna need to hit it with some heat.

Torch the bolthead 'till it's redhot. Let it cool, repeat.

Then use a breaker bar and hammer the hell out of it.

~Mike~

WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #140 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I tried the impact wrench, and it did nothing. I have beaten on it so hard I may just buy new shackels. I am gonna tear these ones up.

89 Cherokee

post #141 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

PB Blaster is garbage. 50/50 acetone and auto trans fluid. Works 90% of the time. Just bear in mind it's entirely possible the bolt and nut have basically welded themselves together. But if you're not worried about the old leaf springs torch the bushing and just hit the bolt with a grinder between the shackle tabs. Don't bother with a sawzall, they don't go through those hardened bolts for ****.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #142 of 516 Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

This is the first and only time i've had a problem. I actually had bolts I forgot to spray before I started the work, couldn't get off sprayed, waited 20 minutes, and then had no issue getting them off. I'm a convert.

I'm going to take it to a tire shop, see if they cannot get them off for me.

89 Cherokee

post #143 of 516 Old 09-19-2014, 05:08 AM
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

The nut isn't turning at all? Can you hit the other side with a BFH? Also I think I used my ratchet on the other side and held a locking vise grip on the nut. Seemed to work for me.
post #144 of 516 Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Bolt spins if I don't have something holding the other end, but I put my socket on one side, and my impact wrench on the other and just went at it until it got so hot that it started to smoke a little (PB blaster burning)

89 Cherokee

post #145 of 516 Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Sounds like the bolt has rusted to the inside of the sleeve of the leaf spring. Worst case is to just get new shackles and hardware right? Looks like you have it off the Jeep
post #146 of 516 Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got free shackels. They never got mine off, they used a 1200ft/lb impact wrench to no effect. So the shop traded me, my rear springs with shackels for a new set.

89 Cherokee

post #147 of 516 Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Awesome!! Glad u got it resolved
post #148 of 516 Old 09-20-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

finally got the bushing sleeves out. Got the bushings out last night, but left the sleeves in since I thought I might need them with the new bushings... oh how wrong i was, so has to use a sawzall to cut them down a little so I could fold them in and pop them out. only problem is I don't have a sawzall, so had to go over to my dad's to use his.

89 Cherokee

post #149 of 516 Old 09-20-2014, 01:33 PM
DunmerBoy

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
finally got the bushing sleeves out. Got the bushings out last night, but left the sleeves in since I thought I might need them with the new bushings... oh how wrong i was, so has to use a sawzall to cut them down a little so I could fold them in and pop them out. only problem is I don't have a sawzall, so had to go over to my dad's to use his.
Almost done then??

“The mountains are calling and I must go.” ― John Muir
COTM October 2014
-
-
post #150 of 516 Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
Almost done then??
I am hoping tonight. Today is family time.

89 Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in