Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Adding Rear-End Weight

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MaskedMallard 
#1 ·
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 5-spd - Any suggestions/comments/information about how to add some permanent weight at the back end? Already have adjustable air lift system installed on the rear which I use mainly for when I'm towing a 5x8 cargo trailer, but when driving just the Jeep it's a pretty harsh ride back there; recently I was hauling about 250-300# concrete mix and suddenly realized (yup, I'm a sloooooooooow learner . . .) that additional weight significantly improved the overall ride. So now I'm wondering if there is some way to add permanent weight to the frame or some such.

Appreciate any thoughts.

#2 ·
Why not fix the issue ? More weight translates to less gas mpg's.

#3 ·
What do you have for rear springs? Also, check shocks. Old Man Emu rear springs, at least the newer ones, are a dual spring. Sort of a medium spring, then a heavy spring when the load lowers the ride height down. I think Chevys have these types of springs. I do have a 3.5" set, that I have not installed. They do not include bushings.

#8 ·
In my case, I planned for the weight to be permanent by adding the extra inch in the rear. The compression from the weight absorbed that extra inch. Winter always seems to come sooner than planned around here. Plus I get that weighted, more comfortable ride year round.
In OP's case, it's the air lift system. Permanent weight, as he's discovered, will solve his problem while allowing permanence and usability of the air system.
Aside from ride quality, one other advantage I like is that I maintain more stability when driving in heavy wind situations. Having the winch and extra battery up front ,the speaker box in the rear, and 32's on a 3" lift, I feel perfectly weighted to not get thrown around in 60+mph side winds. And yet, because my stance makes it look empty of any weight, it performs as such too and doesn't feel over weighted and cumbersome. I also get the same 16 to 20 miles per gallon as the rest of you too.

#9 ·
How about a larger fuel tank?

https://genright.com/products/jeep-xj-extended-range-gas-tank-skid-plate-30-5-gal.html
https://www.sneveysoffroad.com/jeep_xj_gas_tank_extra_capacity_30_gal_w_skid_plate_genright

Here is one with an extra 10.5 gallons of fuel. Gasoline is about 6 pounds per gallon. So, here is an extra 63 pounds of weight, directly under the rear cargo area, where you were carrying your cement.

I see shipping weight of this product is 134 pounds.

So, I would assume this should put you at about 190 pounds of extra weight, providing you aren't going into those extra 10 gallons of fuel you are carrying around.

You'll also get a skid plate to protect the fuel tank if you don't have one already.

Do you have a full size spare tire, or a space saver spare tire? A full size spare tire will add a little more extra weight.

How about a Class III / IV tow hitch? Check your 5 speeds XJ's towing capacity to see what tow hitch is better for you, or if you put the heavier duty on, just don't exceed the towing capacity of the 5 speed XJ that you have.

This combination of weight, might be putting you into the 250+ pounds of additional weight you are seeking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.