4.5" Lift - RE or RC - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
danlikescoldbeer
2015 WK 

4.5" Lift - RE or RC

Before anyone says anything about searching, I have and did some research. Most posts I can find are old and can't find too much current stuff. Parts change, quality changes. I planned on a 4.5 Inch Super-Flex Short Arm Lift Kit with Rear Leaf Springs and Twin Tube Shocks. But I am still thinking about a RC 4.5" X-series. The RE kit is $419 more.

The truck is a 99XJ with 193k. This is a second vehicle that I don't plan to drive to much, I have a WK2 for comfort. I may drive it to work once a week(2 miles), a couple of times a month in the woods(mud, dirt, no rocks) and as a beach buggy here in NJ. I am not too concerned about the ride or gas milage, if I put 2500 miles a year on it, it would be a lot.

I am really thinking about the RC now and use the extra money for an SYE and other parts that I will need.

Any feedback???

2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude
1999 XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 11:43 AM
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
RC is really HIT or MISS. Ive seen people have 0 problems with them, and some people have non stop problems with them. The one kit my friend installed had nothing but problems. I wouldn't use there leaf springs. Sag like hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 02:34 PM
MunkMaster

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have the Rough Country 4.5 and haven't had any major problems. The d riverside is a hair shorter than the passenger side and it rides like the name Rough.
but besides that it is fine.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 06:47 PM
rick_rob
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have had rc4.5 x series on my jeep two years only issue has been track bar tre. I see now it comes with more stuff and a better track bar then when I bought mine.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What about iron rock offroad
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM
JeepN4KC

2001 XJ Cherokee 

If it's a kick around rig then the RC kit might do you just fine. However, I second the worthless leaf springs - they definitely sag.....

There is also the option of putting the better RE kit on and skipping the SYE.

A Jeep only driving 2500 miles/year (if that); short trips and beach fun etc doesn't need an SYE.

~Mike~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 AM
LAF1269

There is definitely a reason the RE kit is more expensive, and there's no real comparison in quality. People buy RC because they are cheap, not because they are looking for the best built parts. I wouldn't personally run anything from RC. I've been less than impressed with all of the parts I've seen, and would rather spend money on a part that I have confidence in.

As far as the "kits" go, I saved the most money my piecing together my lift rather than buying a kit. I ended up with better parts for less money by doing it this way. The lift on my Jeep consists of mostly RE, JKS, and Curry (with some others mixed in).
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 AM
DFresh73

Re all day . Never had any complaints out of customers with Rubicon Express..
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
danlikescoldbeer
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
If it's a kick around rig then the RC kit might do you just fine. However, I second the worthless leaf springs - they definitely sag.....

There is also the option of putting the better RE kit on and skipping the SYE.

A Jeep only driving 2500 miles/year (if that); short trips and beach fun etc doesn't need an SYE.
That's my thought, I am new to whole jeep thing and figured I could install this then upgrade parts as I want.

I've heard about the whole RC parts suck but other people love them. And the RE parts are great but they have terrible customer service if there is a problem.

I own my boating store/ bait and tackle shop so I know all about customer support. The customer service part is just as important to me as the product.

2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude
1999 XJ
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 10:49 AM
nolanbalzarini

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlikescoldbeer View Post
I own my boating store/ bait and tackle shop so I know all about customer support. The customer service part is just as important to me as the product.
From what I saw they have 9/10 customer service. I reported an instance where my passanger side leaf pack had a broken bottom leaf. The driver side had a broken centering pin. I contacted customer service and the driver side was not warranty. I got 2 rear leafs for $238 at my door. Basically buy one get one free. Of course I still think they are both warranty, but I got a deep discount. So 9/10

Cherokee Of The Month. September 2015
post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 PM
75SV1

Why are you limiting to just RE and RC? There are other lift companies. I do have RC for rear springs. It wasn't my intent, but the place I ordered them from, changes supplier on that lift size for XJ springs. Its my first lift, so I can't compare. Maybe a bit rough. I am changing out the shock to Bilstiens from Pro Comps (wheeled hard by PO). I did look on line and both RE and RC in the prices you mentioned were AALs. The RE had more stuff with it though. On the Comanche Club, guys like Zone Lift kits over RC. About the same price. Also, did you think about piecing together a kit?
Also, on my RC rear springs, they were roughly 6 inches installed. They settled to about 5"s so far in about 8 months. I hear this is typical. Also, hear that with RE. Not sure what I'd do from scratch. Some of the cost is the grade of shocks supplied with the kit. I was thinking of going with Doetsch shocks for a budget shock, before the Bilsteins. I got a good price on the Bilsteins, as Christmas sale from one of the vendors.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-01-2016, 03:15 PM
RedZJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Scroll to the bottom. He states he will never use RC leafs again.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...l#post33749002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in