• 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss
  • 1 Post By jay-h

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why would I trade in?

Just before the corona virus, I was getting my oil changed at the dealer. I get free oil changes for life. While they were changing the oil, I thought I would kill some time by walking around the lot instead of sitting in the waiting area.

Yes, I know salesman will do or say anything to sell a vehicle. Yes, I know many are not the most honest or straightforward people.

My Jeep had 80,000 miles. It is excellent condition. The salesman didnít see it, we are just talking while I am looking around the lot at the new stuff.

He says I should think about trading my Jeep in because of the miles while I can still get something for it. Come again? Still get something for it?

He says yes, because of the mileage. Once it reaches 100,000 miles he canít give me much if anything for it. I told him if that is the case then I might as well keep it as long as possible because otherwise it is an endless cycle of short term vehicle ownership and Wranglers hold their value. We see CJís, YJís, and even TJís selling for higher than their original MSRP these days and they have two to three times the mileage as my JKU has.

Am I crazy for thinking this way?

I decided to do a sanity check using the Build My Jeep function for a new JL.

I was stunned by the high prices. A stripped down basic two door sport with very options like air conditioning added on is the same as the MSRP of my 2014 loaded JKU Sahara! A loaded JLU Rubicon is around $65,000. A loaded JLU Sahara isnít much less at around $60,000

So even if I were to defy logic and get rid of a perfectly fine Jeep with a somewhat limited production color, the pricing doesnít even make sense. With the trade in, the balance would come out to what I paid in total for my 2014 JKU

In summary, I am glad my current Jeep doesnít have anything wrong with it and has been very reliable. By comparison my 2007 loaded JKU Sahara was only around $3,000 less than my comparably equipped 2014 and the 2014 has heated leather seats.

I am not knocking the JLís but the price is as shocking as the salesman trying to tell me my JKU will be worth next to nothing very soon.

That 100,000 mile trade in limit might have been valid in the 80ís and maybe into the 90ís, but not now.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 10:28 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't think you are crazy.

The salesman is full of bovine excrement.

That 100K is not nearly as true now as it was in the early 2000's. Especially if you know how to negotiate.

Although my JK is more of a toy now, it's not going anywhere until it rots out from under me. My wife's new Grand is hopefully the last vehicle for her too. One of the reasons I opted for the MaxCare Lifetime warranty on it. New vehicles are just too expensive and have too many government mandated nanny features on them for me.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2020, 11:31 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The point being...."Once it reaches 100,000 miles HE can’t give me much if anything for it". Why would anyone trade in a Jeep to a stealership when you can get much more by selling outright.
JoonHoss likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2020, 03:48 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
The point being...."Once it reaches 100,000 miles HE can’t give me much if anything for it". Why would anyone trade in a Jeep to a stealership when you can get much more by selling outright.
This.

Case-in-point; The TJ market is as booming as ever, and sub-100K mile TJ's are no where to be found.

Hoss
TheBoogieman likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2020, 09:59 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Let's see.... my 89 YJ is at 363K, No plans to replace it.

Buying a new vehicle is very expensive, even the sales tax is enough to cover a year or two of maintaining your old one.
TheBoogieman likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in