• 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 2 Post By JoonHoss
  • 1 Post By Prot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Trade in

A guy at work traded in his 2002 TJ Sport in on a 2018 JKU. His TJ only had 46,000 miles, 4.0L straight six, a manual transmission, factory hard top, and was literally in show room condition. I don’t think he even drive on rain and drives his FJ when the weather is bad. Doors and top have never been off. Nothing wrong with it st all.

The dealer only gave him four thousand dollars trade in. I asked him if he was insane. He paid thirty three thousand for his 2018 JKU Sport, minus of course the four thousand dollars trade in.

I told him he got screwed big time.

Today I see his TJ on the dealers website for fourteen thousand.

I love my 2014 JKU and I am really happy with all the kids it has, but I was thinking that maybe since my JKU is still worth a lot, of trying to make some kind of deal to trade it in on that TJ. Maybe I could use my knowledge of how badly they ripped him off on the trade to end up with a deal that gets me an immaculate TJ and maybe a good chunk of change in my pocket.

The TJ is bone stock. My JKU has air lockers, 4.88 gears, 35’s etc. I don’t really go off-road much these days due to poor health , so maybe a basic TJ would be alright. My JKU has 65,000 miles and lately has served me well on out of state road trips to concerts. I sleep in it at times when I get a weak spell and it just all around awesome. The music in it is phenomenal. So I don’t really want to get rid of it and I don’t owe anything on it. I am not hurting for money and I make a pretty good living.

What got me down this line of thinking is I received a statement a couple of days ago saying I only have forty thousand dollars left to pay on my house. Then this possible opportunity after my friend getting ripped off has me taking if I could do a trade and end up with around twenty grand plus the TJ, that puts me closer to paying off my house without having to touch my savings to do it.

On the other hand I love my JKU. The color, the mods, everything.

I also know I would be tempted to modify the TJ, thereby burning through the residual cash from the trade quickly.

What do guys think?

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 07:26 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Damn, Thats a tough call. But I understand what you're going through. We both try to offer support to others who might be on the cusp of buying into the jeep family. In our case, my wife is thrilled to want to upgrade our custom/special order 017 wrangler. But once in a while I hear her say, she wants to travel and buy a new home. so we're torn between a rock & a hard place. But at least I'm able to Finish the jeep as we wanted it, then my turn to getting a new home. Must be nice to be able to get a mortgage on your home and buy things you want. We've been debit free for 12 years and we're just not willing to go down that route. if push comes to shove, we'll always have our 401K to fall back on. Hang in there, do what your gut tells you because 9 out of 10 it's the best thing anyone can do and they should listen to their inner feelings.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the JK. They are two completely different Jeeps. You won't be happy with a stock Jeep after having a modded one. It cost a lot of money to properly set-up the TJ to run 35s.I can't drive any stock Jeep after running 35s on most of mine. It just feels weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't do business w/ a dealership that screwed someone over that hard.

Granted, that's on him for accepting the deal but wow.

Just wow.

Hoss
TheBoogieman and underscore like this.

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I wouldn't do business w/ a dealership that screwed someone over that hard.

Granted, that's on him for accepting the deal but wow.

Just wow.

Hoss
Book value is that for a trade in. He screwed himself by being uninformed.
JoonHoss likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #6 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 AM
fxrsliberty

Keep the jk, simply because you can sleep in it!!! I have one on each. I love them each for their own reasons. I would never go on a long trip in my TJ after driving there JKU.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Book value is that for a trade in. He screwed himself by being uninformed and an idiot.
Absolutely Agree.

My old roommate was a Jeep Salesman (and his dad owned the Chrysler /jeep dealership)

I will never forget the story he told me about a gal that came in (longtime repeat customer) who had a van that she bought brand new from them, 3 years old, and wanted a top of the line new grand cherokee.

She came into his office and said 'I want $15K for the van (it was worth $19K on trade), and I will pay $44K for the new jeep (full sticker +full second sticker including dealer fluff markup)

He said he told the lady point blank that they could get her a better deal than that, but she didn't even want to discuss it.

It ended up being a little over $10K in ADDITIONAL profit (on top of the standard dealership cut)

My roommate said the lady was very happy, but that he couldn't even look her straight in the eye anymore when she came in for service.

Hoss
TheBoogieman and underscore like this.

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 04:18 PM
tjcj

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1st the dealer didnt screw your work friend , he screwed himself by taking that deal . 2nd I would not downgrade from a JK to a TJ.

Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is the Jeep in the dealer’s website

https://www.mussonpatout.com/vehicle...FA49S42P761122
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 12:17 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I sold my lifted 03' auto outright to a dealership (not a trade in). It had 27,000 miles on it and brand new 35" BF Goodrich KM2s. They drove 2 hours to come look at it and tried to get me down on the price. I sold it to them for $13,000 and they sold it a week later for $17,000. We both made a good profit.
Attached Images

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand how you figure that you would come out financially (or value) ahead through a dealership. Dealerships don't lose money. While you would walk away with cash, you are guaranteed to lose value. There's no way you're getting $20k out of that deal. Likely they would come down on price, but you have no leverage whatsoever by knowing how they acquired that Jeep.

If you want cash to go toward your house debt (which is admirable) via Jeep shuffling, sell your Jeep private party and buy another private party Jeep. I could see you getting near $15k net if you are patient with selling and buying. But it would have to be a downgrade. Is that what you want?

97 TJ sport.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The dealership is not going to drop the price of the TJ down to anywhere near what they have in it and give you full trade in value. Sorry, isn't going to happen. Either they'll lowball your trade in or stay firm on the price of the TJ.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 05:00 PM
StrippedTorx

Shoulda bought the tj off the friend for 4K
I would buy the tj anyways. You’ll be able to find another jk in ten years when your house is payed off for a decent price, but by then tjs will be classic harder to find. Look at all the modded JKUs people are trading in for JTs and JLs.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-15-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Several of us at work tried to buy it off of him but he didn’t want to sell them he goes and does this deal. Now we are all telling him we would have given him double or almost triple that for it.

I keep coming down to a simple conclusion. I bought a JKU for reasons that are still valid today.

I think I would be more tempted if it was a Rubicon with half doors.

I like to entertain possibilities when something catches my attention. This has served me well.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Already sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in