• 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By Kruzin
  • 1 Post By Dr. Internet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
jgrunbaum
2017 JK Wrangler 

Thoughts on new business idea for Jeep Owners with Hardtop

I have a idea for a business revolving around use Jeepers...I don't think it will be good for most people on this forum, as we are pretty infected with the Jeep "bug", but I think it would be good for people just getting into Jeeps or just need a hand.

The idea is that I would go to the owners place and remove the Hardtop for them, and place their soft top on the jeep. I would then take the hard top and place it on my Jeep (currently have 4d JKU). I would then take the hard top and store it for them. In the Fall/Winter, I would do the reverse and bring it back to them. I have started working on website and pricing for the removal/installtion, but I just wanted to get peoples opinions on the idea here, not looking to drum up business.

Again, this is for the new Jeep owners, or the people who want to enjoy the topless life without the hassle of putting the hardtop somewhere.

If I do decide to go forward with this, I will get a JLU so I can capture those Jeepers as well. But I am not gonna do 2 doors at this time (as much as I would love to have 4 Wranglers in the driveway!)

Please let me know your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2021, 09:55 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Somehow, I don't see this working.

I know that I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing my $2000 hard top driving off on some guy's jeep that I don't know personally.

Would feel only a bit more comfortable if this was done at a storage facility but would be concerned if the renter failed to pay the storage fees and my top is auctioned off and I have no recourse.

What guarantee's do the top owner get when using your service for damage and recovery in case your business goes belly up? These are all things you need to have dialed in before you start moving peoples expensive tops away.

Not saying that you are a thief or anything but these are things that other people will want to know and need to be addressed prior to doing the first top.
JoonHoss likes this.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Morris4x4Center
Morris 4x4 Center

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I like the concept of it.

Personally, I think if you had a storefront/storage unit of sorts that almost operates like a coat check system that they drive to you to get it off and put the soft top on at the store/unit with a claim number system. That might be better for them and you.

I understand the kindness aspect of driving to them to save them the trouble but it's a jeep in the first place, it has wheels and an engine, so drive it. You can always offer the option to go to them if it does pose an issue to drive to your business.

The other thing is, I planned when I got a jeep on what would happen. Either keep one top on it and be happy with it or have multiples with a place to put the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories
JeepForum Discount Code: JF10
Please PM us with any questions.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2021, 11:01 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The liability involved would require some pretty pricey insurance. There WILL be people who claim you did expensive damage their Jeep or their top, whether you did or not. You're going to need good coverage to deal with those people. Better talk to your agent and figure that into your pricing plan.
cranbiz likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2021, 10:19 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ready to deal with people who have leaks after you've removed/installed their tops?

Also, Where are YOU going to store all the hardtops? Inside dry storage? Secured? Kept Cleaned? Going to store the soft tops too?

I think you are limiting yourself to people who have a fout door jeep with the dual top option who are unwilling/unable to remove or store their own top... I'm guessing thats a pretty small market?

Then again, I wouldnt have thought people would pay $5+$2 tip for a $6 dollar sandwich to be delivered by some dude in a Hyundai, yet here we are....

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I like the idea, because I have no place to keep my hardtop. All we have is a carport and people will steal anything from it.
One way to reduce some of the risks to yourself and your potential customers would be this idea:
Instead of you storing the tops, work a deal with a local public storage firm. Have them set aside a few places exclusively for top storage. You provide the service of hard top removal and transportation to the storage facility, and installation of the soft top. The storage deal is between the customer and the storage company. Then, in the fall, the customers call you. You retrieve their hardtop and transport it to their home where you remove the soft top and install the hard top.
If the customers want to store their doors, they can just drive them to the storage firm and leave them there.
My issue with using a storage company to store my top is that they want me to 'lease' a storage site large enough for two bedrooms worth of stuff just to keep one top. Not cost-effective. If you put ten tops in there it could work.
You make money by providing the service of moving, installing, and removing the hard tops. I can imagine people paying $50 - $100 to have someone take care of swapping tops for them, and paying $10 - $20 a month for safe storage.
bobjp likes this.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2021, 07:26 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If I recall correctly, there was a large Jeep dealership in Florida that would do this for free for customers who purchased their Jeep from them.

They were very Jeeper friendly and had regular club meetings, free food, raffles etc for Jeepers.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2021, 07:47 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the storage unit idea above. Although, I think you'd have to convince the storage place that there is a business case. The option of having the top picked up or the customer dropping it off makes sense.

I don't have a good understanding of the market. For one, I don't have a hard top. Two, I don't think it is something I would do. Are there enough people living in an apartment or house with small/no garage who also really want both tops?

I think that transporting the top on a small trailer (like a snowmobile trailer) makes a lot more sense than putting it on your Jeep. Easier, less likely to damage/drop, not dependent on weather conditions, can do any Jeep.

I agree that there are risks. You would want to take detailed notes and pictures of the conditions of the tops and Jeeps you're working with. But everything comes with risks...

If you've already got storage space, what is the harm in trying in the spring? Put an ad on Facebook/Craigslist, and see what happens.

97 TJ sport.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 PM
Killntime
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think the limited number of people needing this service would make it hard to turn this into a profitable business if that is all you are doing. Do you have a storage area for the tops or will that be an added expense for you to acquire a space?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in