Sunrider Besttop extremely difficult to close - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
paullorimeier

Sunrider Besttop extremely difficult to close

We have a 98 Wrangler with a Sunrider Besttop and I have a very difficult time getting it to close. The section that flips back is where I have the problem during closing. I can not get the support bar into the locking position. It seems that it should be much easier. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just common with this type of top? If so, I need to buy another soft top because I don't want to work that hard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Lumpymayo

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the piece that is directly above the windshield? There are 2 latches there, both of those latches split in half making it easier to get them in the hole, then when in the hole pull the other one down to fully latch it. It's hard to explain.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
paullorimeier

No, I mean on the sides near the middle of the passenger and driver side window. It is hard to explain! When you put top down you take out windows, pull out the pin above the passenger and driver side window, and then undo the windshield latches. The part that is hard when returning to the upright position is the bar that is eventually above the side windows. It has to get pushed back into that pin hole. I hope this helps. Thanks for your help!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know what youre talking about. Mine does it too. But only on my passenger side.

Sometimes I can just man handle it, other times I have to latch the windshield first. I always find it easier to do it if I start with the hard side first though.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
post #5 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
paullorimeier

The top came with the jeep so we have no instructions. I am just wondering if there is some sort of adjustment to make this procedure less painful!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullorimeier View Post
The top came with the jeep so we have no instructions. I am just wondering if there is some sort of adjustment to make this procedure less painful!
Nope, its just stiff.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullorimeier View Post

I have a new one as well and can kind of relate. I find you have to pull HARD on it to get it to snap into place. But it will. The big complaint I have is the top will pop out of the part that attaches to the windshield every once in a while when putting the top up or down (not while it is up). It supposedly snaps into place but I have not got it to snap. The worst part of installing it was getting the rear bow bolted to the right rear bracket, it was like the bow was about a half inch too long so getting it lined up with the whole was a major pain.

I believe the instructions are available at Quadratec's website that came with it.
By the way first post. I have been lurking here for the last month. Very informative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in