Short Arm vs Long Arm - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
NewJeeperYJ90

Short Arm vs Long Arm

Hey guys and gals. New to the group. I actually have a 2000 TJ Sport. So I have a 3.5 Short Arm Kit Rubicon Express. It was on the Jeep when I bought it. It rides pretty rough. And I like to go up to our cabin that's about 4 hours away and it's a LONG 4 hours. I put new Bilstein shocks on. Helped a little. Anyways. Long story short. I'm looking into getting the Metal Cloak lift. I was going to do the short arm but the shop that I go to said that the Long Arm kit is a world a difference on the road and off road. But I'm assuming with the Long Arm I would have to do new driveshafts front in back also. I wish you could test drive them. So my long drawn out questions are is the Long Arm worth it? Does the Long Arm really ride that much better then the Short Arm. And wil I have to put new Drive shafts on with the Long Arm. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 08:37 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Arm length makes little to no difference in ride quality. Any long arm kits that simply bolt on without the need for welding are wrong.

Ride quality is mostly influenced by shocks and tire pressure. How much shock shaft is showing? What are your tires set at?

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fans of long arm are in the minority on this site. You should go over to TJ Tech section and use the search function. This stuff has been discussed many times before and there will be tons of reading for you.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
NewJeeperYJ90

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Fans of long arm are in the minority on this site. You should go over to TJ Tech section and use the search function. This stuff has been discussed many times before and there will be tons of reading for you.
Thanks. Still figuring my way around the site
post #5 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
NewJeeperYJ90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Arm length makes little to no difference in ride quality. Any long arm kits that simply bolt on without the need for welding are wrong.

Ride quality is mostly influenced by shocks and tire pressure. How much shock shaft is showing? What are your tires set at?

2003 Rubicon

I have Bilstein shocks. There isn't too much shock showing. At least in the rear. But then the shocks are for 3.5 and 4.5 lift. Which to me isn't right.

33" Tires are at 25psi
post #6 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 03:52 PM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned earlier, shocks are going to make the most difference in ride quality. 25psi for your tires is about right. That's what mine are at.

It's never going to be smooth like a Cadillac, but the ride shouldn't be harsh. It will bounce around a bit due to weight and size and 2 solid axles.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #7 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 04:01 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeeperYJ90 View Post
I have Bilstein shocks. There isn't too much shock showing. At least in the rear. But then the shocks are for 3.5 and 4.5 lift. Which to me isn't right.

It isn't. Sounds like you need shorter shocks that will give you back some up travel. Factory was 4" up, 4" down. There should be at least that much shaft showing. Long arms can't fix that problem.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 04:03 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
As mentioned earlier, shocks are going to make the most difference in ride quality. 25psi for your tires is about right. That's what mine are at.

It's never going to be smooth like a Cadillac, but the ride shouldn't be harsh. It will bounce around a bit due to weight and size and 2 solid axles.
I've never ridden in a Caddy. But good shocks, good up travel and the right tire pressure will make a Jeep ride pretty good.

2003 Rubicon

post #9 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 04:14 PM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've never ridden in a Caddy. But good shocks, good up travel and the right tire pressure will make a Jeep ride pretty good.
Pretty good is subjective. I have several vehicles. The Jeep is, by far, the bumpiest ride of all of them. It's not harsh, just more bouncy than other vehicles. It has a new OME suspension.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #10 of 14 Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
Pretty good is subjective. I have several vehicles. The Jeep is, by far, the bumpiest ride of all of them. It's not harsh, just more bouncy than other vehicles. It has a new OME suspension.
Which shocks? I have rancho rs5000x up front and Fox 2.0 in the rear.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Shocks and tire pressure make a difference for sure. Something else to keep in mind is if your control arm joints / bushings are worn, it can contribute to a harsh ride, as there is literally slop between the frame and control arm. I ditched my poly bushing Superlift arms for Rokmen control arms with Johnny Joints and that alone tightened up my suspension quite a bit, it mimics the factory ride pretty closely in my opinion.

I was on a 4" lift with short arms which had some funky characteristics. I've since gone to 3" springs, and would consider going to 2.5" springs, maybe 2" because the suspension has a much more "neutral" feel. Under hard acceleration, or high torque situations, the suspension geometry, and effects of that geometry, particularly "anti squat" can play into harsh ride situations as the torque of the motor is causing the Jeep to stand up.

2000 Silverstone Metallic TJ
U4WDA
Utah JeepCrew
RR4W
post #12 of 14 Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post

I was on a 4" lift with short arms which had some funky characteristics. I've since gone to 3" springs, and would consider going to 2.5" springs, maybe 2" because the suspension has a much more "neutral" feel. Under hard acceleration, or high torque situations, the suspension geometry, and effects of that geometry, particularly "anti squat" can play into harsh ride situations as the torque of the motor is causing the Jeep to stand up.
Your shocks size in relation to the changing lift height is likely playing a very large role in the ride quality. Antisquat is not having a meaningful affect in what you describe.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

post #13 of 14 Old 03-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your shocks size in relation to the changing lift height is likely playing a very large role in the ride quality. Antisquat is not having a meaningful affect in what you describe.

2003 Rubicon
Care to elaborate? I believe we are talking about 2 different situations.

2000 Silverstone Metallic TJ
U4WDA
Utah JeepCrew
RR4W
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 PM
sadass

1998 ZJ 

I had pretty much the exact same geometry suspension as the TJ in my ZJ with 4" of spring lift and 1.5" budget boost for a total of 5.5" The TJ is the closest set up to the ZJ. and I got to tell you, When you lift 4" ^ the angle of the Control arms become way to step. For TJ/ZJ that is. the term Jarring comes to mind. I even went to 8 adjustable control arms with flex joints, different shocks, you name. It was tearing up the all the new CA bushings and ripping the upper CA mounts off the uni-body. it was a horrible ride In my opinion. Until I went to a F/R 7" Long arm and now its 100% better . Granted it is a total suspension design change. The TJ is one I would go Long arm with.

5NineZJ,35mtr/k IRO 7" LA F/R Detroit F/HP-4.56 R/Aussie 44A. ARB Snorkel/JRC Sliders/ Protofab w/9500S./Bushwhackers. Novak242 TCcable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in