11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 PM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
The VIN to your vehicle is just like your SSN, Never give that out online or in any sort of documentation.
I will let the owners of 99% of all the vehicle ads on my local craigslist know this asap. 100% of the car dealers too. I hope nobody steals their Jeep's identity and runs up credit cards in the Jeeps name.

JoonHoss and cranbiz like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I will let the owners of 99% of all the vehicle ads on my local craigslist know this asap. 100% of the car dealers too. I hope nobody steals their Jeep's identity and runs up credit cards in the Jeeps name.
You might notice that gun owners typically don't reveal their serial numbers online...guess some of us treat personal data a little bit more carefully than others, which includes the VIN, even though it's easy to get to.

You don't care? OK, then.

Let Alexa listen in on your house...write all of your combinations and passwords down and carry them in your wallet...let your waitress handle your charge card for you...take the 10 year face picture challenge (and help out Zuck's facial-recognition software as a consequence)...It's your data. It's just bad form to wave data around these days, but that's just my general opinion.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

A gun's serial# is hardly a reasonable comparison to a car's VIN. AFAIK, gun ownership is not a public record that anyone can access and get that kind of info on.

A car's VIN is beyond easy to get. You know why? You can't do anything detrimental with it.
VIN#s are a public record and tied to your license plate. Hell, there are legal web sites you can go to and get the VIN for any car just by typing in it's license plate. Is there something like that for guns?
We even have car dealers around here that will give you quotes on buying your car without seeing it. Just give them the license plate#, they use it retrieve the VIN to run a Carfax.
TheBoogieman likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #19 of 23 Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
gutthans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
A gun's serial# is hardly a reasonable comparison to a car's VIN. AFAIK, gun ownership is not a public record that anyone can access and get that kind of info on.
Sorry my point has been missed. Access to unique identifiers on property that's tied to other data sets is risky, whether that data is, or isn't public. Always pays to be slightly suspicious about requests...
post #20 of 23 Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
Sorry my point has been missed. Access to unique identifiers on property that's tied to other data sets is risky, whether that data is, or isn't public. Always pays to be slightly suspicious about requests...
In this instance, the request is from a known subject, for a known reason, with a legal precedent. The nexus is legit.

Now, one can argue that it's not necessary, and there may be a way around it, but that doesn't make the initial request nefarious.

Nobody is advocating giving your SS# to the indian-accented supposed IRS agent who is cold-calling you from a VOI call center.

But to worry about having the VIN for your vehicle be known, when it is easily accessed already through any number of legal means is ridiculous.

If someone is worried about that, they should probably take the house numbers off their home, pull the plates off the jeep, and perhaps even remove their full name, middle initial, home town and age off their JF profile!

Hoss
Kruzin likes this.

She said, "I like your car!" ...I said, "Get out of my JEEP!"
post #21 of 23 Old 09-18-2019, 05:56 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
In this instance, the request is from a known subject, for a known reason, with a legal precedent. The nexus is legit.

Now, one can argue that it's not necessary, and there may be a way around it, but that doesn't make the initial request nefarious.

Nobody is advocating giving your SS# to the indian-accented supposed IRS agent who is cold-calling you from a VOI call center.

But to worry about having the VIN for your vehicle be known, when it is easily accessed already through any number of legal means is ridiculous.

If someone is worried about that, they should probably take the house numbers off their home, pull the plates off the jeep, and perhaps even remove their full name, middle initial, home town and age off their JF profile!

Hoss
Well, Joon, while I understand that in this particular instance my thoughts may be unnecessary, I would suggest that every day it becomes easier and easier to perpetrate fraud from formerly innocuous bits of information. You may joke about it at my expense if you wish...
post #22 of 23 Old 09-18-2019, 06:02 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post

Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #23 of 23 Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyWrangler View Post
I'd be happy to send this guy a bill of sale but my Jeep's VIN doesn't seem necessary.
You nailed it - that Craigslist guy is an idiot, and he wants you to incur time and worry participating in his incompetence

You have every right to remain in stealth mode. This seems like a good time to retell a great privacy experience I've heard:

A guy at my gym was falsely accused of causing a car crash that he was not involved in. The chick who caused the crash gave the cops his license plate #, and several days later they went HARDCORE PSYCHO on him, screaming every imaginable threat and false accusation, guilty until proven innocent.

Stuff can happen to anyone, even those who take every precaution. More stuff happens to people who take fewer precautions.

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in