Scam Question, particularly for Massachusetts Jeepers - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
BarneyWrangler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Scam Question, particularly for Massachusetts Jeepers

I'm asking this question because I want to help out a fellow Jeeper if possible.

I sold the OEM running boards from my 2012 JKU a few months back, on Craigslist, to a guys who said he was rebuilding a JKU on a salvage title after it was t-boned.

He recently contacted me asking for the VIN from my Jeep, so he could prove that the running boards weren't stolen and he could register the Jeep (in Mass.). Does this sound legit, since the running boards are at best an accessory? I'd be happy to send this guy a bill of sale but my Jeep's VIN doesn't seem necessary.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 AM
hdsport
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can't think of a legitimate reason that this information would be necessary.
Maybe inquire as to why this information would be required and by whom.
Very suspicious, at least.
wildbill23c likes this.

2001 Winnebago Adv 32v MH
2008 Jeep GC , 2005 Willys
US Army Vet, 8th Army,
In God We Trust
post #3 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds odd, but there isn't anything he can really do with that VIN. Not like your VIN is going to get transferred to his Jeep.
All vehicle's VINs are plainly visible through the windshield, so anyone can get them just by walking through a parking lot. If he wanted to do something shady, he could get all the VINs he wanted without contacting anyone.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Kruzin is likely correct...but it's still odd that someone with the capability of a salvage rebuild wants an existing VIN. That is, of course, unless he's trying to sell the JK on your title??? My thinking would be he may be applying for a duplicate title to show ownership so he could be issued a 'new' VIN by the DMV field agent???
post #5 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 08:00 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Scam Question, particularly for Massachusetts Jeepers

Being scared of giving out the VIN# is as ridiculous as people that post pics of their Jeeps and cover the license plate.

p.s. GO PATS!
33-3 vs Steelers
43-0 vs Dolphins
Attached Thumbnails
RUBI 35 7 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC) (2).jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #6 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

In some states, you need to document where you got the parts used to rebuild the vehicle. I never did one in MA but that requirement wouldn't surprise me.

Doing a quick google search, in MA,

You need to document that the repair parts used are not stolen, You need bills of sale for all major parts used to rebuild the vehicle and if you use used parts, you are required to provide the VIN of the vehicle the parts came from.

So, yes, if he is using your parts to rebuild his Jeep, he needs the VIN.
JoonHoss and wildbill23c like this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

The VIN to your vehicle is just like your SSN, Never give that out online or in any sort of documentation. Sounds to me he needs/wanted your VIN to re title his broken jeep just to get it back on the road. Also running board/sidestep do not require any sort of VIN number, But when ordering from an aftermarket site, they should list that those steps were made for that particular vehicle. Just show him the bill of sale when you purchased it. But if these came with the jeep upon ordering/purchasing the vehicle. Copy/highlight and cut away that area on the bill of sale showing that these side steps were installed by the factory and that you've sold these steps/etc to him on what ever date. Never include your VIN within any documentation.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
The VIN to your vehicle is just like your SSN, Never give that out online or in any sort of documentation. Sounds to me he needs/wanted your VIN to re title his broken jeep just to get it back on the road. Also running board/sidestep do not require any sort of VIN number, But when ordering from an aftermarket site, they should list that those steps were made for that particular vehicle. Just show him the bill of sale when you purchased it. But if these came with the jeep upon ordering/purchasing the vehicle. Copy/highlight and cut away that area on the bill of sale showing that these side steps were installed by the factory and that you've sold these steps/etc to him on what ever date. Never include your VIN within any documentation.
Read my post, sir. In MA, he needs the VIN. You consider it fluff, not needed, in fact the buyer is on the up and up. If he bought an aftermarket part, the buyer would need the bill of sale and the descriotion of the part, model#, etc. All of which should be on an invoice. Used, that's another story and the requirements are different, supplying the VIN of the vehicle the part was obtained from is a requirement.

Read this from the MA RMV.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/salvage-inspections

Running boards/rock rails are not specifically mentioned but could be considered part of the quarter panel, fender, etc. That depends on the attitude of the inspector at the time. I wouldn't chance it up there and make sure any part I put on it that I got from a 3rd party meets the MA requirements.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 12:16 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Being scared of giving out the VIN# is as ridiculous as people that post pics of their Jeeps and cover the license plate.

p.s. GO PATS!
33-3 vs Steelers
43-0 vs Dolphins
In this case I might disagree. It's one thing to observe a VIN through a window. May be quite another when you have access to the owner's name, address, and perhaps other information as well. It's not hard here to get a title duplicate. It's not difficult on the 'net to get supposedly private identification information.

I don't know all of the transactions details obviously, nor do I live in Mass...just broaching the possibility for consideration of those with more details.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

So when someone's clearly posts the fact the the gentleman who purchased the parts is legally required to provide a VIN number from the vehicle the parts came from in order to get new title, some of you are just going to ignore that fact, or worse, not bother to read it and instead post misinformation?

At worst, the re-builder is confused, and may be able to get by with Bill of sale. But you know who WOULD know, without question?

The Massachusetts state police. One simple call to the correct legal authority would clear this all up much better than random sentiments and personal opinion

Salvage inspections are done by the Massachusetts State Police. You may contact the Massachusetts State Police Salvage Unit at 857-368-8454 for general information related to salvage inspections.

Oh, and if you think it's difficult/impossible to get a name, address, phone number and plate number for someone nowadays, think again. (Especially if you know anything out them already)

How many of you are aware that you can get a VIN for any vehicle simply by running a carfax report?

Hoss
RedNeckCorvette and cranbiz like this.

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #11 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
So when someone's clearly posts the fact the the gentleman who purchased the parts is legally required to provide a VIN number from the vehicle the parts came from in order to get new title, some of you are just going to ignore that fact, or worse, not bother to read it and instead post misinformation?

Hoss
Nope, as he himself stated, he doesn't care about facts or anyone else's thoughts on anything. He IS the end-all and be-all of all knowledge and we are all beneath his omnipotent presence.

Unfortunately, he has promised more than once in the past that he would not be posting here any more when confronted with the truth, only to return within hours to shovel out more nuggets from his massive pile of wisdom.
TheBoogieman and cranbiz like this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #12 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
@cranbiz ..And read my post sir as we've had these discussion several times before. I'm responding to the Oper and could careless about anyone else replies within the middle of this topic. As I said before, I'm not able to ignore you, so I have to simply overlook your comments.. so NO I didn't read your post cause again I could careless what you said or what everyone else has said or may say.

Because we are still at odds and because i'm not allowed to speak freely, I do not see me returning here only to be subjected to your anothers scrutiny and wise cracks. By all means ban my account.. You've ban it before what's the hold up now?. I could careless.
Man, you have a reading comprehension issue. I posted the link to the Mass General laws that state whats required. In his case, it appears that the buyer needs the VIN to pass the Mass inspection. I did read your post, you told him not to do it and protect his VIN. You said it was your opinion that the buyer is up to something shady. YOu told him to show the buyer his invoice or build sheet with everything except what part shows the running boards. According to the MGL section I provided, that won't cut it with the MA State Police for the inspection.

Don't read my post which has accurate info, thats up to you but once again, you are giving incorrect info to other posters.

Oh, and by the way, I haven't banned you before and I'm trying very hard not to now. You have posted good info in other threads, why can't you admit you are wrong once in a while?

@JoonHoss , good post and a great idea.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #13 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
JarheadAl

OP, contact the Mass State Police directly. Get the info from them directly. It may be required info, but maybe you can provide the info directly from you. Either way, you will know the real process. I don't know who here is right, but I suspect it may not be mr butthurt.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadAl View Post
OP, contact the Mass State Police directly. Get the info from them directly. It may be required info, but maybe you can provide the info directly from you. Either way, you will know the real process. I don't know who here is right, but I suspect it may not be mr butthurt.
Good idea for the OPs piece of mind. I suspect, for Mass, the police will say a VIN is required. Now the inspector may have some judgmental leeway, as I think the goal is to prevent assembling a vehicle from stolen parts and legitimizing it. I've dealt with Mass inspectors a few times and they are reasonable folks. The vehicle itself will have VINs stamped in varrious areas, so they are most interested in panels that may have a VIN stamp. If one is combining parts stamped with a VIN, or other ID, from one vehicle with another, the inspectors get very interested.

In spite of the skeptics and the paranoid, providing a VIN is not as big deal now days as it was decades ago as in those old highway patrol episodes .

I have reached the age where all compliments will be followed by “for your age.”
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #15 of 23 Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Customer must present bills of sale (receipt or invoice) as proof of ownership for each MAJOR component part used in the reconstruction, rebuilding or repair of the motor vehicle, including the following parts:

Engine, transmission or trans-axle, front bumper, rear bumper, each fender, hood or engine cover, each door, each quarter panel, deck-lid, tailgate or hatchback, dash, frame, air bags, assembled items such as a nose (fender hood bumper radiator support), front clip (cowl frame section, shock and apron structure), rear clip (rear sheet metal, frame section, roof), short clip (rear clip without roof), and interior, including seats & dash

If the running boards are a major component part used in the reconstruction, then I'd just leave them off until after registration

2017 JK Sahara (my Smartcar)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in