Over the Mountains - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Over the Mountains

Wife and I are doing a road trip to a family event next week in Colorado. To get there, we will travel I64 from Tidewater Virginia in her JK Sport. Being flat landers I have been asking people about the mountains of West Virginia in a Jeep. My daughter has done a similar road trip in her pickup. Her advice was to avoid that route and go around. The mountains scared her to the point she said never again. Iím thinking, if itís an interstate highway how bad can it be?

Forecast for next Sunday says snow will not be an issue all the way to our first stopover in Kentucky. So, where else would I go for the straight story? Is it really like driving up a wall? How about down hill braking?

Iím not going around, I like mountains. Any advice would be appreciated.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

On the interstates, the mountains are not an issue. I have driven thru WV multiple times in my JK.

Is it the JK in your signature? If it is, it should be fine as it's the 3.6 L with the NAG1. Stock tires with 3.21 gears is ok and shouldn't have any issues in the mountains.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I drove I-64 through WV to Arrington, VA for Overland Expo East last month (coming from Indy). Very pretty drive! There was as I recall three passes, and I had no issues with my TJ and pulling a small trailer (other then about 11 mpg ). Traffic was heavy around Charleston, but east of, very light. I definitely have to return to explore the backroads of WV.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists.Ē Don Colacho

post #4 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 04:28 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I drove through there about twenty years ago in a stock '68 Beetle, you'll be perfectly fine in your Jeep. Best advice I can give is don't be in a hurry, downshift and use your gearing to minimize the amount of braking you need to do downhill, abide by the posted recommended speeds for curves, cut your speed considerably more if you encounter slippery conditions, and enjoy the drive.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 18 Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

In the last couple years, I've driven from southern Maryland to St Louis & back 4 times using I-64. Nice drive.

With the exception of some minor traffic in Charleston a couple weeks ago (@4PM) and accessional road work, it was a great drive.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
On the interstates, the mountains are not an issue. I have driven thru WV multiple times in my JK.

Is it the JK in your signature? If it is, it should be fine as it's the 3.6 L with the NAG1. Stock tires with 3.21 gears is ok and shouldn't have any issues in the mountains.
We put Goodyear Wrangler AT's on for a little more grip. Otherwise it is a stock Jeep. I'm looking forward to the adventure. Weather for next week is showing temps in the 50's.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.

Dick Surran

post #7 of 18 Old 11-13-2019, 10:16 PM
bravobravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I definitely have to return to explore the backroads of WV.

i think a few horror movies started this way.....
grogie and olysteve like this.

^ it made more sense in my head

removed for stirring the pot
post #8 of 18 Old 11-14-2019, 08:23 AM
dln1962
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsurran View Post
We put Goodyear Wrangler AT's on for a little more grip. Otherwise it is a stock Jeep. I'm looking forward to the adventure. Weather for next week is showing temps in the 50's.
I was through there once, many years back. I too thought it was a wonderful drive and from what I can remember barring bad weather you shouldn't have any problems. And that forecast of 50s can change overnight this time of year.

Some people just aren't wired for mountain travel. My former wife would freak out whenever things got a little hilly & curvy. If I let her drive she could tolerate it, barely. If she was a passenger she would become physically ill. Perhaps your daughter has a similar issue.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. Iím looking forward to this road trip. The weather looks snow-free, at least for the outbound but even if it changes we will be ok. I know when we get back Iíll be ready to settle into the homestead for the winter.

Dick Surran

post #10 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I definitely have to return to explore the backroads of WV.

On a recent trip through the backwoods mountains of WV, I took a Wrong Turn. Always bring extra ammo.
Attached Images

grogie likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #11 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 12:03 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^I did find it interesting that on one side road in WV, there were people's homes/trailers/shacks like five feet from the road that people were driving 65 mph on. Of course those fine establishments were probably built when the road was just a dirt cow path!
TheBoogieman likes this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists.Ē Don Colacho

post #12 of 18 Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

We enjoyed the transit through the mountains. We were just a little late for fall colors but I enjoyed all the views just the same. I wondered at apartment houses perched on the very top of mountains in West Virginia. Get drunk and fall out your back window youíd fall for about an hour. The 3.6 handled all the terrain really well. I was impressed. Thanks for all the help and humor.
TheBoogieman likes this.

Dick Surran

post #13 of 18 Old 11-23-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, disaster has struck. Left rear brake started grinding as we drove into our destination after 3 days on the road. Panic set in. Our family event is Saturday this is Tuesday and we donít know anything about mechanics or dealers here (our sonís vehicles are Kias). I can see deep scoring in the Left rear rotor. This is never going take us 3 days back home. So I do a search and find a dealer who will take us on Friday. By Thursday it feels like Iím having to give it more gas to get it moving. We rent a car (Cherokee) for Thursdayís visits and leave the Jeep at the hotel. Two inches of snow turns into 5 inches of snow but the Cherokee does a great job. Snowing hard Friday morning we make it to the dealership and the service writer says they should have everything they need to fix us up by afternoon. So we wait.

Three hours later the service writer comes with a long look on his face. They replaced the rotor and pads but the Jeep failed the test drive. Brakes are binding on both rear wheels after the repairs. They think the calipers are shot (80,000 miles). They tried cleaning them up but no go. Whatís worse, they donít have them. It will take 2-3 days to get OEM parts. There goes Thanksgiving at home if we wait. So we tell him our tale of woe. He says he will look for after-market if we waive the OEM warranty and accept the after market warranty. And the bill is looking like $1600. We waive the warranty and the search turns up calipers at Car Quest. They also have hoses and hardware for a complete rebuild on both wheels. Probably a 1 or 2 year warranty on all parts. Ironic a Jeep dealer getting Jeep parts from an after market store.

So now itís Saturday. Our familyís main event is at 5 oíclock and we are due to be on the road for home tomorrow morning. We are waiting for the call to pick up our Jeep promised by noon. Both the mechanic and service writer are working today. They did give us a shiny new Ram pickup courtesy car yesterday so we could get around. Iím thinking how much cheaper it would have been to fly. Stay turned for the next episode of ď And The Stupid Shall Be Punished.Ē

Dick Surran

post #14 of 18 Old 11-23-2019, 03:05 PM
JarheadAl

I'd rather deal with all you have posted than deal with the idiocy that happens everyday at every airport. I hate TSA. They have employed a few decent people but most seem to be mall cop rejects. IMHO YMMV.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 02:46 PM
jeep63
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry to hear about your troubles Dick. My 10A lost both rear calipers just before 80k. same behavior, i had to fully replace them. Hope it all works out and you get back to the beach safely.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in