oh so common carpet questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
CortezLeGrand

oh so common carpet questions

new jeep owner, 2013 wrangler sport soft top
just getting introduced to the wild and wonderful world of all things jeep. I live in hawaii where its nearly always nice out, and after talking to a few jeep owners I decided to take off the back and side windows and cruise around with the top up and windows down...

then it rained...

didnt think it was bad at first then started poking around and noticed how much h20 was pooling up, I AM SO NOT OK WITH THAT, so i took out the carpet and pulled the plugs...

thoughts about leaving the side windows off and carpet out?

looks like most threads ive read, folks are pro no carpet and go about lining the tub, also read about liners (mopar rubber floor) but wont it mold and mildew underneath?

any thoughts, comments or advice are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 AM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep is bed lined and I have no carpet. I also am a firm believer that rain does not belong in a vehicle so if it is raining my top is all the way on or the Jeep is parked in the garage. That is not to say that I have not been caught in a down poor or two, but I never willingly drive around in the rain with part of the top off.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Even when it rains there the weather is pretty nice. There are a lot of electronics on the new jeeps so I would be concerned about not having at least a bikini top for the rain. Probably a good idea to bed line the inside, pull the plugs and carpet and let it rain. You should also know the carpet keeps heat from the floor coming into the cab, and serves as a sound deadening.

92 Rene, 4.5 RE lift, Currie ARB D44, super 8.8 ARB

YJOTM. 12/15

post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I run topless and doorless 9~10 months out of the year. I have my tub lined with Line-x which makes it waterproof for the most part. I also made this waterproof dash cover out of an old tent that protects the dashboard and all electrical things. Going on 15 years and never had a problem with anything.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Your in Hawaii, as I recall I rains some darn near every day. Id Line the tub, bikini top and get waterproof seatcovers. Up n Down on the top as much as you would be doing would kill it.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2015, 06:17 PM
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhh...I miss Hawaii so much! Did 2 tours, back in the 80's, over at Kanehoe MCAB: Good times! Yep: I had me a Jeep too! Just a bikini though...Hawaii's worst weather day is *nothing* like Jersey's! Rain never hurt anything in my Jeeps. My 02 TJ goes in Safari mode from april to november here in Jersey. Starts getting a bit cold then! I lined the tub with Durabak, threw the carpet back on top....and forgot about the whole issue. Sure it gets wet. But then, magically...it dries! Something about doing 80mph up and down the parkway, as well as sitting in the sun. It's indoor/outdoor carpet and it dries very fast. No rust or issues from it at all! It's a Jeep: It's made to get wet and dirty!

2002 Wrangler "X".

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.

Tags
carpet , hawaii , rain , soft top , windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in