New to Tj Wrangler, Give me ideas!! :) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM
ItsJustD
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Bernardino
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by czebley24 View Post
Also, what is a SYE/DC Shaft combo? Sorry, I'm new!
When you start lifting your jeep your drive line gets a steeper angle, when you get a steep enough angle you get drive line vibrations. A Tcase drop drops your transfer case to make your drive line angles less severe, they suck because you lose clearance when you drop it down.

A SYE is a "Slip Yoke Eliminator" It removes the slip yoke from the rear of the transfer case and replaces it with a fixed yoke, adds a lot stonger output shaft, adds about 5 inches to the drive shaft length, adds a cv (constant velocity) style shaft, reducing the angle of the shaft and reducing vibration.


Edit: sjones26573 beat me to it lol

ItsJustD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
czebley24
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Lyon
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD View Post
When you start lifting your jeep your drive line gets a steeper angle, when you get a steep enough angle you get drive line vibrations. A Tcase drop drops your transfer case to make your drive line angles less severe, they suck because you lose clearance when you drop it down.

A SYE is a "Slip Yoke Eliminator" It removes the slip yoke from the rear of the transfer case and replaces it with a fixed yoke, adds a lot stonger output shaft, adds about 5 inches to the drive shaft length, adds a cv (constant velocity) style shaft, reducing the angle of the shaft and reducing vibration.


Edit: sjones26573 beat me to it lol
I am in high school, so I don't have a ton of money. Is it absolutely necessary when I get the lift? Or can I drvie the car around with the lift and not go off roading, and then save up again for the SYE and CV or will I get the death wobble?
czebley24 is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
ItsJustD
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Bernardino
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by czebley24 View Post
I am in high school, so I don't have a ton of money. Is it absolutely necessary when I get the lift? Or can I drvie the car around with the lift and not go off roading, and then save up again for the SYE and CV or will I get the death wobble?
You want to go with a 3" bds? You might be able to get away without a SYE/CV or a tcase drop, but if you get drive line vibrations and don't have a lot of cash you can use a small tcase drop.
ItsJustD is offline  
 
post #19 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
kennyboobear
Registered User
 
kennyboobear's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colfax
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by czebley24 View Post
I am in high school, so I don't have a ton of money. Is it absolutely necessary when I get the lift? Or can I drvie the car around with the lift and not go off roading, and then save up again for the SYE and CV or will I get the death wobble?
Well there enlies the problem. Some people lift their TJs 3 1/2" and don't get any driveline vibes at all. Some lift their rigs 2 1/2" and vibe like a porn star.

My suggestion to you would be to save money by getting a normal size tire setup (have them mounted to the stock rims, ie. like I have, or hunt craigslist for a nice set of 15"x8" wheels somewhere.) a 33x12.50R15 tire will save you 50-100$ per TIRE. That translates to 200-500 (assuming anything between 4 - 5 tires if you do a full size spare) dollars that you've saved, not to mention the cost you've saved by getting a different set of wheels, all of which can go towards an SYE/DC Shaft combo.

As was stated prior, an SYE basically changes the dynamics of the output shaft on the NP231 Transfer cases in our Jeeps. It turns it from a rear slip shaft output, to having a 1310 style output yoke. This allows a double cardan driveshaft to be attached to the rear, a shaft that cuts down on binding by having a 3rd joint for it to bend at. The bit that slips is than transferred to the center of the shaft, allowing it to function the same, but with more potential for movement in the driveline (thus no vibes.)

A worthy investment at a later date would also be adjustable control arms but shouldn't be a necessity at 3" of lift.

A TCase drop would work temporarily and over the long term, but it sort of defeats the purpose of a lift. You lift, ideally to raise the underside of your rig. Why lift it if you're simply going to lower your high point back down to counter vibration? As a temporary fix while you save for the SYE/DC shaft combo, go right ahead. For the long term though, it's takes away drastically from your breakover and basically turns the belly of your rig into a giant shovel.

Using SJones as an example (no offense intended, brother. Just so he knows what we're discussing here), look at the profile shot of his rig. It's hard to tell since the photo was taken at a downward angle but notice that his belly pan hangs down a good 2".

Now the kicker is that both he and I have the same amount of lift (all lifts sit a bit differently, based on the rig in question, and I'm willing to bet mine is heavier so I might actually have a bit less lift than he does. That said I have some fairly incredible springs that hold up to the weight amazingly), yet my belly, at it's lowest point, is a good 2" higher. 2" doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're climbing a staircase on a trail, or simply going over a steep hump of nothing but dirt, you'll be glad when you don't high center on it.

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kennyboobear is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM
sjones26573
Registered User
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
No offense taken in that example, because it's true. That 2"+ gets snagged and bashed every time I wheel. But that's why I am picking up a Savvy skid and x-member as soon as they release the Modular kits. Which is why I just ordered a JB Conversions SYE. I have a ton of parts at my house and on order waiting for a college break to get to work.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM
kennyboobear
Registered User
 
kennyboobear's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colfax
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
No offense taken in that example, because it's true. That 2"+ gets snagged and bashed every time I wheel. But that's why I am picking up a Savvy skid and x-member as soon as they release the Modular kits. Which is why I just ordered a JB Conversions SYE. I have a ton of parts at my house and on order waiting for a college break to get to work.
Good on ya there, and apologies for the hugely delayed reply lol

I've admittedly been scarce on JF as of late. With having recently relocated in full to California, I've had some slightly bigger concerns.

That said, I DO think your rig is tastefully modified for what it is. You're certainly no crazyquadder

Did you get around to getting the Savvy TT?


SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kennyboobear is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Jason845
Registered User
 
Jason845's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ulster Park Ny
Posts: 362
Drive it stock until you have more driving experience. Every one will see your t-case drop when you roll it and laugh at you.

Edit: Ask me why I recommend this

2003 tj "x"
2002 vw golf DD
Jason845 is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
sjones26573
Registered User
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
Good on ya there, and apologies for the hugely delayed reply lol

I've admittedly been scarce on JF as of late. With having recently relocated in full to California, I've had some slightly bigger concerns.

That said, I DO think your rig is tastefully modified for what it is. You're certainly no crazyquadder

Did you get around to getting the Savvy TT?

Woa! That was a while. And lol at the guy above me replying to a 4 month old thread. Anyways, I'm doing better. I'll be building a transmission crossmember and a seperate flat n flush 1/4" steel skid. Haven't had time or money for it yet since all my time home is being used to get the 8.8 ready and all my money is funding bracketry, 3-link arms and steering for the Waggy 44.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
sjones26573 is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
kennyboobear
Registered User
 
kennyboobear's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colfax
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Woa! That was a while. And lol at the guy above me replying to a 4 month old thread. Anyways, I'm doing better. I'll be building a transmission crossmember and a seperate flat n flush 1/4" steel skid. Haven't had time or money for it yet since all my time home is being used to get the 8.8 ready and all my money is funding bracketry, 3-link arms and steering for the Waggy 44.
Very nifty! Looking forward to seeing the progress, as I'm sure you are. I'm building up my 30 at the moment. Waiting till after the 1st of the year to buy my OX locker. Will throw that in with the RCVs I have sitting in the garage.... then she just needs to be trussed and possible sleeved lol

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kennyboobear is offline  
Reply

Tags
aftermarket

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Give Me Axle Ideas MosesYJ YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 10 03-26-2012 04:46 AM
Give a shout out if you love your Wrangler df04jeep Wrangler General Discussion 13 12-07-2011 04:26 AM
Please give me ideas for my crazy wirring problems to find and solve crazyquadder YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 13 02-25-2010 01:58 PM
$500 to spend, give me ideas willyb8 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 21 01-08-2009 11:01 PM
steering wheel 1 1/2 inch give / 93 wrangler Squall280 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 01-26-2005 04:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome