Need HELP/PIC

SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
JeepChic
Join: Aug 2011
Minnesota

1 minute ago ∑ #1
Need favor/help!!!
I am seeking someone to send me a pic of the inside of their rear driver side break light compartment for Wrangler 2013 or around that. And also the outside of it from wheel well angle. Why you ask?
Brake light/turn signal out on that side. Did the break light compartment switch to check wiring. Unfortunately,it is a deeper wire issue. So I looked deeper inside and boom....compacted w snow/slush. Compared that w passenger side: which has a huge foam sealant to protect from outside elements. Driver side does not have. So I'm curious if it's a manufacturer fopa or there shouldn't be one since that's the ground wire side. Either way, its missing something to seal compartment. The bottom of it is like a thick felt that is open to the outside. Before I go to dealership w a hey....Jeep effed up....I want proof. Already had a recall for a glitch in the seal of side mirror which would allow water in, causing shortage thus leading to possible fire.
Long and winded post, but cannot find pics of it online

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepChic View Post
SEARCH IN THE CURRENT
AND SHOW ME
JeepChic
Join: Aug 2011
Minnesota

1 minute ago ∑ #1
Need favor/help!!!
I am seeking someone to send me a pic of the inside of their rear driver side break light compartment for Wrangler 2013 or around that. And also the outside of it from wheel well angle. Why you ask?
Brake light/turn signal out on that side. Did the break light compartment switch to check wiring. Unfortunately,it is a deeper wire issue. So I looked deeper inside and boom....compacted w snow/slush. Compared that w passenger side: which has a huge foam sealant to protect from outside elements. Driver side does not have. So I'm curious if it's a manufacturer fopa or there shouldn't be one since that's the ground wire side. Either way, its missing something to seal compartment. The bottom of it is like a thick felt that is open to the outside. Before I go to dealership w a hey....Jeep effed up....I want proof. Already had a recall for a glitch in the seal of side mirror which would allow water in, causing shortage thus leading to possible fire.
Long and winded post, but cannot find pics of it online
Not an expert on JKs, but here's my 2 cents. If one side has foam sealant and the other side does not, and if the side without has electrical issues caused by snow/water intrusion, then one can assume it should have been sealed in some way.

ALl that said, if it's a 2013 JK, I assume the MFG warranty is over. If it's over, I suggest finding a way to seal the rear taillight from water/snow intrusion. I would not use spray foam as it will hold moisture, but some self-adhesive rubber weather stripping may help of pinched between the light assy and the body from the rear. Again, I'm no expert on JKs. You may also want to take it to the stealership and get their professional opinion as to how to stop this from occurring again.

Hope this helps.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 06:45 AM
rsurran
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I went out just now and looked at the wifeís 2013 JK. On the driverís side I felt around from under the body. The whole area seemed to be sealed by the wheel well liner, bumper assembly and body corner components. The only opening I could feel was a possible drain hole opening the size of my pinky. I went around to the passenger side and it is different. I felt a grill work under the tail light behind the wheel well liner. I tried to get my fingers into the grill work and there does seem to be something in there. Iím wondering if it has something to do with sub-woofer box. The tail light assembly is high on the body, it seems any snow/slush around would be from the tire slinging up there. Is the fender liner in place? Itís probably worth a few minutes at the dealer, maybe in the express lane to get someone to look at it.

2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.
2013 JK Sport Black, Auto Trans, Bone Stock

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."

post #4 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank you. I'm guessing it's a manufacturer screw up but since it's been 6yrs I'm guessing they won't do anything about it.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not at all what I was asking. I know it's to have a seal. Asking if the same type of seal is to be on both sides. If so, it's a manufacturer screw up. Sounds like from others who took the time to look, rather than give an opinion, did see that there is to be a ball of foam sealant. So mine is gone
post #6 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 06:13 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nope, the drivers side does not have the foam from the factory, but the pass side does.

Drivers side just has the liner.

Some guys have cut plastic panels and sealed both sidesm

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #7 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 06:07 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not at all what I was asking. I know it's to have a seal. Asking if the same type of seal is to be on both sides. If so, it's a manufacturer screw up. Sounds like from others who took the time to look, rather than give an opinion, did see that there is to be a ball of foam sealant. So mine is gone
Doesn't play well with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #8 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Me? Sorry if you feel that way. I was looking for solid 'evidence' to my research. Someones opinion does not aid in me going to the dealership to ask for help.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is that just on yours or you've seen it not there on many? Another gentleman said his wife's Wrangler did have it. Now I wonder if it's only on specific years whether it has it or not.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thank for your insight. Maybe the spray stuff you see on TV. I mean if he can make a boat w it. 🤣🤣 its just more of a hassle since it's the rear. I plan my travels on if there is/not an actual left turn lane. If not, hazards go on (drivers side doesn't work) and I've got me arm out the window for my signal. It blows. It's cold here. Garage isn't insulated. I'm not a mechanic, but rather a stubborn chic who doesn't like to over pay for services
post #11 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 12:33 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
this thread duplicates. Like i said my 2012 does have the foam on both sides to fill that gape in the back. its just foam 3/4" thick and cut a bit over size and stuffed in there. I can see where in snow or ice start to get behind this the weight of that could push it out. Its typical jeep type Fopar/Fiat engineering. As long as the Foam dont cost an arm and a leg i would just get one if available. If not one could make this rather easy as well. I would not use flex seal on this.

when i made my custom rear quarter armor. i had to R&r the foam to do all the cutting up of the rear to fit the new lights and such. Its just shoved in there.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

My 12 is just like Doc's. Foam pressed in on both sides. I have moved it to run wires in that area and then stuffed it back.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #13 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

To clear up my response, the cut foam piece stuffed in on he drivers side, the spray expandable foam on the passenger side could absolutely be that way from the factory, as I have seen it, and there are many other threads (not on JF) pointing out the same

I don't believe anything was missed from the factory, and your Jeep is 'normal'

Now then, that said, there are also many threads on the Interwebs by people who have sealed both side with expandable foam.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Let me be blunt, since you seem to favor that approach with strangers.

Its a 6 year old jeep. If you are the type of person to drive a used, out ow warraty jeep to a dealership and spend a few hours aggravating the service writers, service manager, and staff in general about a manufacturer defect of a missing foam piece, then you deserve what you get.

If you want to take ownership of the issue, find a material and seal it yourself and move on. Every other jeep in the world could have both sides insulated and it wont matter one damn bit to the dealership. You have a used car. Its up to you to fix it, or pay them to fix it.

Hope this helps

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #15 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
JeepChic
2013 JK Wrangler 

All of the above is my intent. But wanted info on what it should be. I mean if it was a build screw up, why not figure that out first & see if I can get help from the dealership/manufacturer? Nothing wrong w that being a first step, @ all! Plus need that info to fix it properly, with the best type of sealant so I'm not dealing w this in a yr. Thanks for your helpful opinion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in