Longest trip in YJ/CJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

Longest trip in YJ/CJ

What’s your longest trip in your YJ or CJ?
What was your point A to point B?
What was the first thing to give you problems?
What would you do differently give the chance? Something to take/leave home?

Planning a big trip. I want to hear your experiences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-23-2019, 03:57 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Not a YJ or CJ but a wrangler none the less.. We drove through rain, snow and summer heat in a Doorless Wrangler from Maryland to Colorado. Took us 10 days avoiding the "typical" or fastest route. tempos while driving without doors, 49 atop the rockies. Then 103 crossing into Texas from New Mexico. The worse road was Lincoln highway. For 3 hours it was like bump, bump, bump, bump, at a constant speed of 45mph. Was it worth it? It sure was and we're going to do it again. But this time we're going in a new direction. Gas cost for the MD to CO was about $1,800
jeep63 likes this.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #3 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 AM
bearfilm
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used to drive a 95YJ from NYC to MN - made that trip 4 times about 1800 miles each way. Only problem I had was when I drove from NYC to MN the very first time I had the jeep, I did not realize that there was no antifreeze in it. (bought used from a dealer, who knew?) had to replace the engine block cause apparently water does not play well in -10 temps in MN.
I also visited my sister in OKC with my first 89 YJ. That was 750 each way. I used to care about how much gas I used and tried to see if I could break 330 miles on a tank, but that was hard to do cause I like to drive fast.
These were all 20 - 30 years ago now... Now I have an 88 YJ that looks EXACTLY like my 89 and i wonder about even driving it 2 hours to our off road parks!

--
88' Wrangler Laredo with 4.2L/Automatic

post #4 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

I understand back when new vs 25 years later. There probably is not a part on my yj older than 2.5 years old though. Planning a drive out to the Grand Canyon. I’m concerned about driving in those temps in the sw
post #5 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Brassnadz

2008 JK Wrangler 

In high school, took my then brand new CJ7 from Houston to Montreal Canada. No problems. I even found a newish back seat in a wrecking yard in Arkansas on the way home. Did it with my dad. Good times.

2008 JKU
2015 Grand Cherokee
post #6 of 17 Old 06-02-2019, 12:40 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Understood that the YJ/Cj is a different type of puppy when it comes to long trips. you have a whole set of different issues to address. ideally it's best to have the jeep run through a psi test on the radiator etc. Then carry you're own fluids. I mean even with a newer wrangler I was constantly watching the oil level and we did end up needing 1/3 quart once we reached Oklahoma. But $10.00 bucks for a quart of oil from O'reilly.. was a rip off.. thats why I say carry your own stuff. If you worry about the trip the whole time, you'll never enjoy it. Just be prepared carry you're own tools or sub to Triple A for roadside assistance. If it gets too hot during the day, drive early morning or late evening. Timing is everything, make frequent stops if the jeep is uncomfortable.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #7 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 02:07 PM
J33pVirgin

I just had my first trip in my first YJ last Friday night. I just bought it & finally drove it home. About 250 miles. I was pretty sure it would make it home but it was unproven, had no spare tire, no tools, no spares, and support vehicle. It was hot out, & hot air was cooking my right foot. I worried while driving to the interstate. I was in rural south GA headed north of Atlanta. The Jeep is a 90 YJ, bone stock with the exception of aftermarket wheels and over sized mud tires. It seemed under powered. The water temp gauge didn’t work. I stoped for gas at the highway. Fretting.
I fueled up and headed north. Eventually I relaxed and picked up my speed to an indicated 70mph. I double checked it on my gps to discover I was closer to 80mph! I drove to Macon, stopped for Mexican food and a cervesa. I made it home after almost running out of gas about 15 miles from my house! This thing gets abysmal mpg. I made it home without my new YJ missing a beat. I was happy to get out of it after 250 highway miles...
I spent the next day cleaning it and teaching my wife to drive a stick.
Now I’m back at work and she’s out practicing taking off on hills and running errands in it. She loves it. She was sure this was a(another) stupid idea of mine and now has embraced her new Jeep... now I know why people drive wranglers.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

Rubicon I hear you. I found out the hard way. I carry enough fluids to change everything 24/7 I rotate them out when I do my maintenance. 99% of the time I’m using them for other less fortunate motorists. And virgin I know what you mean! I found my ideal yj 8hrs away. Me and my girlfriend drive up and the moment I saw it I knew. Ended up having to take the highway going 70/75 most of the way back due to time. That’s my longest trip. That’s why I was asking other folks. 8 hours and didn’t skip a beat. The started did go out the fallowing day though haha!
post #9 of 17 Old 06-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I use to live in San Diego for many years. I drove it loaded with wife & two kids and all our junk from San Diego CA to Madison WI & back. It was ~2,100 miles each way. I've also driven it from SD to Moab and back a few times, which is ~800 miles each way.

I stopped driving it on the road when it had 50K miles. It's been a trailer queen since.

It now has ~136K miles - that's 86K off road miles, not counting the off road miles I put on it before it became a trailer queen.

The first thing to ever give me problems was my own fault. I was still running a D35C at the time. I was climbing Surprise Canyon in the Panamint Mts (near Death Valley) and snapped off the rear driveshaft at the rear yoke while going up waterfall #5 when I banged real bad on a BIG rock.

I pulled the shaft, capped off the tcase slip yoke, filled tcase with fluid, and drove home 7 hours in front wheel drive ~55-60mph. I was stranded for a total of ~15 minutes until I completed the "trail fix".
post #10 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 04:39 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an 89 YJ. Back in 2008 when it had about 160 K I drove from NJ to southern Nevada in a big loop. Some offroading in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah.

In the intervening years I've done a number of trips (many for Jamborees) to Michigan, Main, NC, Tenn, Vermont, WVA. It's my primary road trip car.

As noted, carry a basic set of tools, fluids, spare belts, self sealing tape (for hoses and electrical patching) pocket voltmeter and a AAA*card. I had a fuel filter clog on one trip, but didn't realize what was causing the problem (I had never had a fuel filter clog enough to affect running before). Sprung a leak in the trans cooler hose and patched that in a Walmart parking lot.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

Wow some great road trip stories forsure.
My yj has been gone though over the last few years. I’m at the point now where I think the oldest “part” is the ax15. Just about everything else has been replaced or upgraded some way. I carry extra vac lines, hoses, brake line, wire, flux, rod, belts etc. I’ve got the room and weight capacity for it. My yj is really light to begin with.

I have had numerous parts yjs over the years. And taking a trip out West I was thinking of bringing additional spares of items I don’t normally carry. Like starter, alternator, but not sure. Mine are fine now, but I would hate to be 2500 miles from home and need one.

The company I work for will be closing up shop, and I’ll be receiving some severance. So I plan on taking as much time as I need to see the sights. I do have immediate family in Texas with access to big rigs and trailers. So that’s worst case scenario.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

@StrippedTorx don't worry yourself sick thinking you'll need everything on this trip. I mean you sound like you're expecting something to fail and that may not even happen.

Speaking of which, we just renewed our passport cards.. one can expect something big from us this year seeing how it's our 25th wedding anniversary. I've been telling the wife we need to get to Washington State, but I think she wants to head in a different direction.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not a YJ or CJ, but I have done many trips in my 97. Thousands of miles at a time (out west, down south, up north) offroading along the way. Many of them throughout the 200,000 - 300,000 miles range. And I will continue to take trips with this Jeep.

You simply can't plan for or carry enough parts to deal with every possible problem. You can realistically do nothing more than check all fluids, check the belt, check all drive train joints, and check all the suspension joints. If there are no symptoms of other issues, hit the road.

I carry basic tools, zip ties, ratchet straps, tire plugs, and u joints. I carry a couple gallons of water for me to drink that obviously can be used in the cooling system. No antifreeze and no other fluid. No way would I ever carry an alternator, starter, etc. There are auto parts stores everywhere. Yes, you can get pretty far from them, but you should know if something is going to fail before you set off on a mountain pass by just paying attention to the Jeep. Most things give warning before completely failing. If doing hard offroading, use your discretion for what drivetrain parts to carry.

97 TJ sport.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
StrippedTorx

I was on the fence about carrying those items. I figure if I’ve got enough pocket cash I could get any part really needed.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-15-2019, 08:55 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know the feeling of wanting to carry extra parts. It's just that once you start making the list, you never stop. And even for a single person traveling, a CJ/YJ/TJ is small. Space is a premium.

I have had a water pump fail or start to fail twice on trips. In one case I drove 300 miles home, in the other I sourced a pump a couple hours away, replaced it in a Napa parking lot, and continued on my journey for thousands miles more. It would have been nice to have the pump in my Jeep, but then logically I would have had to have every other part in the Jeep. Having parts kicking around your Jeep on a trip really sucks.

Traveling with a high mileage vehicle is risky, but it's worth it. Just pay attention to how things sound and feel, and you will be fine.

97 TJ sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in