In which I purchase my first Jeep - '05 LJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
gallamine
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In which I purchase my first Jeep - '05 LJ

Just a friendly post to announce my entrance into the jeep family. Got a 2005 manual LJ with 110,000 miles recently. I'm quite happy with my purchase and looking forward to trouble shooting all of my wowes.

Speaking of, the first thing I need to figure out is why it has a "whine" during acceleration. The whine is:
  • Tied to acceleration.
  • Happens at lower speed < 45 mph
  • Isn't more obvious when hanging head out the window
  • Isn't obvious when sitting on the hood and listening
  • Dies down when I put in the clutch
  • As soon as I put my foot on the accelerator it starts

Here's a link to a video showing the sound and the RPMs.

I shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd in this video and put in the clutch several times.
My current theory is that it's either a) clutch or b) pinion related. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 08:44 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't watch your video here. Just understand that these rigs are noisier than your typical passenger car. There is less sound insulation and the transmission and transfer case aren't built with as much concern about mechanical noise as your typical passenger car. The transmission and transfer case are sitting right next to your legs and both of them contribute a lot of noise to the mix, to include gear/bearing whine.

Welcome to the forum and the world of Jeeps!

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
gallamine
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks MDM. The video is marked as public. Not sure why it doesn't play. I've never driven a Jeep with this particular sound and my brother-in-law, with a '06 Rubicon LJ, thought it sounded odd. Just wanted to stay on top of the maintenance and keep small things from becoming big things. Still getting used to the idea of "anything is fixable."

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 09:12 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallamine View Post
...The video is marked as public. Not sure why it doesn't play...
Where I am some things don't get through.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-2015, 02:46 PM
digitalcox

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the Jeep purchase. There have been times that I wish I went with a LJ. Have fun with it!

It might not hurt to change out the fluids (diff, transmission, transfer case) when you get a chance to go under the Jeep to rule out one issue with the whine that is coming from the video.

Also, some additional reading from Superior's website:

What is this whirring noise?

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.
A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.
Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.
Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.
Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.
Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.
A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.
Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.

Justin
2004 Jeep Wrangler l 1946 Willys CJ2A l 1988 BMW 325 l 2009 Triumph Thruxton
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

first thing I would do is check the air system. If it was upgraded to an aftermarket cold air intake, this can cause a loud suction whine during acceleration. If this is the case, it is a sought after 'desired' whining noise.

It somehow sounds like a super charger though. Presumably it is not...

I would definitely be checking out the state of the fluids in the engine, transmission, diffs, and transfer case though. Doesn't take much time, and could save you a ton of money.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM
JeepJeffW

2004 WJ 

That reminds me of the sound my buddies stock car (Barracuda) made when driving it normally. That was many years ago. Like the drive train is really "tight." He never did anything to it except the one time he blew out the rear drive shaft and the shaft flew into the tranny rendering it useless. But yeah, check all the fluids - and the drive train for play while your under it.

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1984
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
gallamine
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As an update to this thread, I removed my rear-driveshaft and drove the vehicle around. The whine was still present, so whatever it is, it is not the rear-end.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM
329892 - Deactivated
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallamine View Post

Just a friendly post to announce my entrance into the jeep family. Got a 2005 manual LJ with 110,000 miles recently. I'm quite happy with my purchase and looking forward to trouble shooting all of my wowes.

Speaking of, the first thing I need to figure out is why it has a "whine" during acceleration. The whine is:
  • Tied to acceleration.
  • Happens at lower speed < 45 mph
  • Isn't more obvious when hanging head out the window
  • Isn't obvious when sitting on the hood and listening
  • Dies down when I put in the clutch
  • As soon as I put my foot on the accelerator it starts

My current theory is that it's either a) clutch or b) pinion related. Any thoughts?
I want video of the "sitting on hood at 45mph" !!

But I think I hear it change pitch when you shift / change rpm indicating the sound is engine, not driveline related. And it is tough to tell but it sounds mechanical. Could be transmission since the front half of the transmission changes speed when you shift too.

Old trucks with straight cut gears made that sound too.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
gallamine
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I want video of the "sitting on hood at 45mph" !!
Yeah, hood up, brother-in-law perched on the bumper, driving around a parking lot. Thankfully it was a lot slower than 45 mph!

The sound is related to acceleration - at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear I can gently put my foot on the accelerator and the sound starts, when I lift my foot off it stops. The pitch changes with RPM. It definitely sounds mechanical to me - e.g. not coming through radio or CB. I've driven an '06 LJ Rubicon that didn't make that sound. Someone suggested a clutch bearing.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 AM
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's not the radio? If I am playing music from my phone and charging it at the same time there is a noticeable whine that increases with the engine rpms. If the radio is hooked up poorly it could possibly be your problem. You could try pulling the fuse for the radio and see of it goes away

Tags
lj , new buyer , unlimited , whine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in