HID seems too bright? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
tracenine
2011 JK Wrangler 

HID seems too bright?

I've just installed a set of Xenon 8000 series HID lamps in my 2011 Wrangler. I'm getting flashed all the time. The bulbs seem to be working correctly (hi and Lo). The Wrangler is a base 2D model. The only upgrade was the taller P255/70R18 tires. I'm thinking I need to either adjust the verticle beam or move to the 6000 series? Any help or input would be great!..thx.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Flash em back...show em what "bright" really is. I keep a fog light facing a little to the left just for that. *evil grin*
post #3 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Mantis212

2010 JK Wrangler 

Hell they are bright! apparently that is a common thing with HID, you really cant tell because low beam on them babies is like high beam in a traditional bulb (so to speak)...

-Mantis

post #4 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
fmfa0801
2009 JK Wrangler 

Adjust the headlights down. I had 55w HIDs in a 97 tj 6" lift and never got flashed
post #5 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

x2 Adjust them, the lights for the JKs come from the factory too high to begin with.
post #6 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
mark8201

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have HID in my car as it came with them from the factory. When I first got the car I would get flashed by others almost everyday. However it seems as though there are more cars out there that have these, so I don't get flashed to often anymore. That being said, I used to just flash the high beams to let the other drives know I was not using the high beams.
post #7 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Adjust them down. There is a proper way to adjust the lights:

Park it on an even surface, measure from the ground to the center line of the light. Now measure 25ft. out from the lights. Take your previous measurement (from the ground to the lights center line) and measure 5" down- you should probably get a big piece of cardboard or a 2x4 or something you can use. Make a mark on the object 5" down from the lights center line. On low beams, the top of the beam should not cross this mark.

Your lights should be able to illuminate an object 200ft. out but not blindingly light it up.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #8 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
...you should probably get a big piece of cardboard or a 2x4 or something you can use...
A garage door works great.
post #9 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
tracenine
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Guys...I'll try to adjust them tonight.
post #10 of 51 Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
A garage door works great.
That too, but I don't have one of them fancy things

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #11 of 51 Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

If they aren't in projectors you can't aim them correctly.

Only jerks use hids in reflector housings.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Many of the after market HID kits with just a interchangeable bulb replacement are not street legal precisely BECAUSE they do not focus correctly (the sellers forget to tell you that).

The standard headlight bulb has a very specifically shaped filament which is precisely designed to work with the optics. The HID light source is larger and differently shaped and does not focus correctly in a housing designed for incandescent bulbs.
post #13 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM
ruthole

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They will dim after time. Mine was super bright now there just a clearer light than the old ones

94 yj, 4" RC lift 1" shackles, 33's interco M/T's, SRC front bumper, custom built rear bumper, cb, Hi-lift, D30 OX locker, 8.8 LSD,

Lone jeep club member #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSquy View Post
If parts aint flyin you aint tryin!
post #14 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Here comes the "HID's don't work in reflectors" mantra...

First of all.. Don't talk about it unless you know specifically what you are talking about. I personally have first hand experience and i know exactly what is required to allow HIDs and reflectors to work.

First of all, HID's would not be sold period if people couldn't use them in their vehicles. Since it's such a foggy area, it really takes one to know how to set them up since there are not specific laws that limit their use, almost no laws preventing their use on the streets. If they were illegal to use them on the streets, then at least 60% of Californians would not have them, and manufacturers would not put them in cars (a good example is the Toyota Prius, some models came with HID's in reflector variety- the same exact model also uses Halogen bulbs).

Secondly, you have to use an appropriate style lens for the reflectors. If your lenses are fogged up, the entire lens will be illuminated causing some issues. However, regardless of bulb style, an oxidized lens will be distracting and obnoxious to oncoming drivers. You need a crystal clear lens up front, so if they have molding in them then they will be a bit brighter than some drivers are comfortable with. Will they work? Absolutely, but not the ideal situation. The molding marks on lenses are to help spread the halogen bulb beams out, as the reflector is a bit of a spot light style reflector.

Using the appropriate bulb type as well is important. Most people buy the following style of bulb:

It's basically a bulb that's a flood light. It does not have a reflector plate on it to aim the beams at the road. This will work for cars that use a flood style beam as the low beam lights (those particular cars use a separate bulb for high beams), and those generally have clear lenses as well. But for applications where the headlamp requires one bulb for high and low beams, they will not. You will have high and low beams on all the time, so it will be blinding to oncoming drivers. I have experienced this type of poorly retrofitted swap first hand, about a dozen times last night. If I had a way to disable the lights I would have in a heartbeat, that's just blatantly arrogant and illegal.

The appropriate type of HID bulb to use is ones with a reflector plate, like the following:

With the bulb in the middle of course. This cuts off half of the beam so that it is reflected at the road. Now that we are all edumacated, we can stop posting blatantly wrong answers about HID bulbs.

To sum it all up:

You need a high/low style HID, or a low beam only bulb. You need reflectors with clear lenses (fortunately there are sealed beam conversion kits for our Jeeps with clear lenses). You need to aim your lights properly.

So to the OP, did you do a proper retrofit, or did you just stick HID bulbs into standard style lights? As an example, this type of lens will not work as intended:

Whereas this type of lens works very well:

post #15 of 51 Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This information is wrong.

HID OEM lighting DOES NOT use the same reflectors and lenses as H4 or 9003. The focus is wrong and cannot be made right. Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps (except motorcycles) are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users. In North America, ECE R48 does not apply and while lens cleaners and beam levellers are permitted, they are not required;

The large number of HID equipped vehicles you see on the road are OEM which are perfectly legal but have substantially different equipment to meet the standards. Just because aftermarket kits are sold does not make them legal, they are likely imported as 'off road lighting' despite what the web pages imply. Even the DOT marking is meaningless if it is not enclosed in a DOT approved housing for that product. An H4 headlight housing is NOT approved (with damn good reason) for these hacked up kits. (BTW technically I've recently learned, an H4 is technically not street legal, though a 9003 is ... very slightly different specs). High wattage 'H4 replacements' are definitely not legal either.

From Wikipedia: (along with a lot of other information)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlights

For that reason, HID-specific optics are used to collect and distribute the light. HID burners cannot effectively or safely be installed in optics designed to take filament bulbs; doing so results in improperly-focused beam patterns and excessive glare, and is therefore illegal in almost all countries.

Also this
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

PS

here is a quote from a company that sells these kits:

NO XENON H.I.D. lighting system available from any source is DOT / E approved if installed outside of the factory. These kits are not street legal for use on public roads as they are. As a result, we officially endorse the kit for exhibition and off-road use and will only sell the kit to be used for these purposes. We are not responsible for customers who violate the terms of sale in which they will assume all responsibilities for any unauthorized or unintended use other than exhibition or off-road use.

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID_faq.asp

PS 2 from US DOT

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli....html#specific

Another disturbing trend in this look-a-like phenomenon is the substitution of OEM filament headlamp bulbs with aftermarket HID conversion bulbs. The desire is to achieve the look and achieve the more robust performance of HIDs. While not designed to be interchangeable, some aftermarket companies are substantially altering the HID bulb bases or providing adapters so that the HID bulbs can be inserted in headlamps designed for filament bulbs. The consequence of making these substitutions is to adversely affect safety. Filament headlamps are optically designed for the volume of light and filament placement and other critical dimensions and performance that OEM filament bulbs have. The HID conversions result in two to three times the volume of light and potentially imprecise arc placement. Such conversions often result in beam patterns that behave nothing like the original filament beam pattern, cannot be reliably aimed, and have many times the permitted glare intensity. In informal conversations with persons who have tested such conversions, the light intensity on one at a point aimed toward oncoming drivers was 22 times the allowable intensity limit. Another lamp was more than 7 times too intense

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in