Gas filling problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
sdaou
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gas filling problem

Anybody who can explain to me, why when I put in gas at the gas station, the hose keep stopping. It is just like the tank is full but even when it is empty. Is there a filter which may be clogged up or something ?
I have a Wrangler 2008 4 doors....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Peace
2008 WK 

Pull the filler hose out some. Don't stick it in so deep...
post #3 of 14 Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can try that, but I have found that some pumps either don't work right or are incompatible with my jeep. I don't go to those gas stations anymore or in some cases, I just go to a different pump at the same gas station.

Greg

(Soft top info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 14 Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 PM
dahreno

I also have a 2008 and I can tell you that the above people don't have a clue what they are talking about. You should know that Chrysler/Jeep has issued a TSB on replacing the filler neck, or complete gas tank. I just had mine done 2 weeks ago. Just call your dealer and tell them the gas spits out of the filler neck when you put in gas.They'll fix it free right now but, it really won't solve the problem. They replaced my upper filler neck. They did replace it because I looked at it. To bad it didn't resolve the issue. My favorite thing to do, return to the dealer for another problem not resolved. I have had my Jeep since 2007 and I can say, I have never been to the dealer and have them fix my Jeep the very first time.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 AM
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No offense meant, but gas overflowing is not the issue according to the original post. The pump is clicking off as if the tank is full.

Greg

(Soft top info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint77 View Post
No offense meant, but gas overflowing is not the issue according to the original post. The pump is clicking off as if the tank is full.
Agreed that OP's problem is not spitting gas, but I believe they can be related problems. It is the flapper valve down at the tank that gets stuck. In most cases it gets stuck open and thus the gas spits. I think the valve can get stuck closed/partially closed and that's what causes OP's problem.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
sdaou
2008 JK Wrangler 

@dahreno that is exactly the problem. So basically it didn't solve the problem ? Uff it takes me sometimes about 15 minutes to fill the tank, which is way to long. I just have to go very slow so it won't stop the gas from flowing. I really tought it was just a blockage or a bleeder problem. Anyway if anyone else know what else We could do just let us know. Tnx for your time....
post #8 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
sdaou
2008 JK Wrangler 

Greg the problem is with the Jeep. The gas does not flow easy into the tank and it keeps on stopping the gas from flowing in the gas hose, it kinds of mimics a full tank but it isn't. I just have to pump the gas very slowly into the tank so it won't stop all the time. I hope I explained it better this time. Regards....
post #9 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaou View Post
Greg the problem is with the Jeep. The gas does not flow easy into the tank and it keeps on stopping the gas from flowing in the gas hose, it kinds of mimics a full tank but it isn't. I just have to pump the gas very slowly into the tank so it won't stop all the time. I hope I explained it better this time. Regards....
He understands exactly. The gas spitting problem that dahreno mentioned is a very different problem. The gas flows freely and doesn't stop when full and so spits out the top. But as I posted they are probably both related to the flapper valve at the tank entrance.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does it happen with every gas pump you use or just some?

Greg

(Soft top info:
)
post #11 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am very aware of the overfill problem that was mentioned above since I had to replace the factory valve/hose to fix that problem on mine but that didn't fix the problem with the pump cutting off at certain stations without putting in the gas very slowly. Perhaps it would fix yours if the dealership has a TSB and already has a fix for that year as mentioned above. Otherwise, you may just have to pick the right pump like I do. I would say it happens at about 1/3 of the pumps I encounter. Somehow, they are just not compatible with my Jeep filler hose. I don't honestly know if there is not enough pressure to open the flap or if it is the angle that the gas is coming out, but I just live with it. Hope it works out for you.

Greg

(Soft top info:
)
post #12 of 14 Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Biohazard294
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't know that this was a problem with the newer jeeps too, I though that it was just a problem with the yj's or something. Anyway, I always roll the nossel to the left and then tilt it down in the front to get the nossel down as far as I can, seems to have worked for me ever since I started doing that. Also, I always pump it myself rather than just letting it auto pump ever since the nossel feel out after the tank was full and the gas didn't stop flowing that one time.

Wranglers are a very special breed of modern and semi-modern vehicles, they require extra care and attention, which is the main reason that I find them to be so awesome!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM
RockyClymer
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the new gas filler hose, but before and after I noted that certain gas pumps are set soooooo sensitive that they prematurely shut off...I just avoid those pumps in my area.

08 JK 23S - Colorado Jeep Club No. 204
Too much to list - see my profile for details on build
16 JK Rubi with all the trimmings
NRA Life member
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-10-2015, 11:33 PM
dahreno

I only said to tell the dealer the gas is spitting out, I didn't say that is what is happening to me. What happens to me is that when filling, the pump will shut off repeatedly. It's because the gas is coming up the filler neck, hitting the shut off coil on the nozzle. If it wasn't there, the gas would spill over. It's just if you tell the dealer the gas is spilling out, they will be in a bigger rush to fix it, and locate the TSB faster with that description. I have read else where that it is thought, and I believe the same thing, that it is a clogged vent line. My Jeep got worse and worse through out the years, and I wheel a lot in dusty places.

Tags
bleeder , fuel , gasoline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in