Emergency! Please Help! :' ( - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
AssassinZodiac

Emergency! Please Help! :' (

Hello friends, this will be a long story, but I want you to understand my problem so please bear with me.I have been a happy owner of a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ with automatic transmission since I bought it used in 2007. Extremely happy with it until about 2 years ago.
So, my problems began around 2 years ago with it hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. After saving my money for about 6 months, I finally took it to a reputable transmission shop in my area in hopes of fixing it. $4000 and a fully rebuilt trans later, I pick it up from the shop and as soon as I take off down the road it just comes out of gear randomly for 10-15 seconds at a time, then may run again normally for another hour or so before happening again. I go back to the trans shop where the owner said that it's a damaged pcm that is causing that issue. He said that a new pcm would cost $1200. I didn't have that much money at the time after paying him the $4000. So I just drove it like that while I saved more money up.
Now finally a few months ago I saved up $2000 to hopefully get a new pcm and get it programmed and installed by a different reputable mechanic in my area. He went to our local Chevy dealership and they said that Chevy does not support that model anymore and cannot get the pcm. That I would have to send the PCM off to get it repaired. We sent it to the PCM repair shop that our local Chevy dealership recommended. After 1 month at said shop, they mailed the PCM bach with a big red sticker on it saying "Cannot be repaired". Without being repaired, or able to buy a new one, I told my mechanic to just put the old pcm back on it and I would drive it the way it was before, losing gears every now and again. To our dismay, evidently the failed repair on the pcm damaged it further to where it wont start or anything. Its just a $10,000 brick at this point, just parked in my driveway. I want to just break down and cry over the whole situation. It's broke my heart, I love my Jeep, but it's dead now. I have searched online for a total of at least 40 hours to buy a new or used pcm to no avail. Apparently the pcm on that 2005 model was only in service for one year model. So pcm's off earlier or later jeeps will not work on it.

What do I do guys? I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Please help, I will be eternally grateful if someone could help me with this issue. By the way, the part number on the pcm is P56044529AC.
Thanks for your time on reading my book, but I truly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 10:56 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

These folks claim to have them in stock:
https://www.fs1inc.com/oem-engine-co...29ac-2-4l.html

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 01:07 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why the Chevy dealership?

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
AssassinZodiac

I've already ordered from that website. After completing the purchase, a few days later they refunded the money and apologized that they were actually out of stock on that part number. With no time frame on if they would ever get another.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
AssassinZodiac

Chevy dealership is our area's jeep dealership. Not an actual jeep only dealership near me.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
seems this issue has come up in this forum a few times. the last few years of the Tj autos pcm is close to impossible to find any more. there is thread on this must be in the Tj section on how the guy did or did not find one. I forget the details.

since they are getting to a point in age that i wonder if its even economically viable to make them. with attrition of the vehicles. even newer vehicles it seems parts are hard to get or out of stock. They dont just make a few thousand any more they just fill an order.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Try car-part.com, it's a salvage yard search site. There's a few that might have a used one...

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #8 of 14 Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You are not the only one with this issue. I never found a replacement for my 42RLE equipped 06 and a rebuild didn’t fix the associated CEL codes. Rig is basically a $30k paper weight. Gave up and built a YJ over the winter. I’d suggest parting out the rig or transferring the quality components to anything other than a 05-06 TJ with the 42RLE:
post #9 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 02:39 PM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ugh. Wish you had researched “hard shift between 1st and 2nd” before you spent $4000 to rebuild your tranny and whatever you spent to get your PCM repaired. This is a well known issue. Your transmission wasn’t the problem. It was your PCM. There is a new player on the scene who has developed a replacement PCM. Go to WranglerFix.com. It’s a lousy website, but the phone number is there somewhere. They charge $499 for their product. Early reports are positive. Good luck.

EDIT: Wrangler Fix phone number is (866) 888-7710. Ask for Mark Cantrell.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 10:02 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #11 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 02:07 AM
StrippedTorx

Just wondering, but wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper to do a tranny swap at that point? Rather than having a 10,000$ Lawn ornament.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 AM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrippedTorx View Post
Just wondering, but wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper to do a tranny swap at that point? Rather than having a 10,000$ Lawn ornament.
That doesn’t fix the PCM issue.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 03:52 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought.
Since the computer has to be programmed, why could you not buy one that did not have the right part number?

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-16-2019, 04:45 PM
StrippedTorx

@rcroane you’re right for some reason I was thinking manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in