Do I need therapy? Or is this a common issue? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2020, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
TheOtherMe

Do I need therapy? Or is this a common issue?

A quick background. I owned two CJ5's in my younger years. More recently I've had three TJ's and one JKUR. I was equally excited about them all, but they have all moved on for various reasons. Now I'm in the market for another one. This one is intended to be a toy and not a primary vehicle.

I just got back from test driving one and it left me thinking. Why am I addicted to these things? It was slow, didn't handle that well, the brakes were under powered, it was loud and not especially comfortable. After the test drive I got back into my Jetta and immediately felt the opposite. Everything about my GLI makes it a better car. However, every Wrangler that passes by catches my attention. It's like a sickness.

Am I alone on this one? Does everyone who owns these things love driving them? Or do people put up with the quirks because there is that special something about them? I'd love to hear your perspective.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2020, 10:43 AM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, I have a YJ and love driving it. It is not my DD, just a toy.
I have a couple newer more comfortable vehicles, but I enjoy the open cab
manual trans, and love the way it works on the trail. we use it off road quite a bit.

When I went looking for a Jeep, I looked at all the versions and chose a YJ to built to my liking.
It has the features I want and not those I don't. That's why I chose a YJ.

I drove Datsun trucks for years, 521 620 720 so the YJ feels more comfortable than those.
I guess I like the pure driving experience new vehicles don't offer.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 AM
GTS225

I suggest it's also a thing to do with styling ques.
Today's vehicles, if you remove the branding badges, you're hard pressed to figure out who built what, because none of the manufacturers are willing to take a chance with individual styling. A Jeep is readily identifiable, and almost nothing else looks like it.

Just look at how successful the resurrected Challenger and Charger was for Mopar.

So, you go ahead and drive your Jeep, no matter how old..........be an individual, just like the rest of us Jeepers.

(You might still need therapy, though.)

Roger

post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2020, 08:43 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's called garage therapy. i understand how it works, how to fix it, how to make it better, and I enjoy the time spent on the project.

A already suggested, anybody can hold the steering wheel of a jelly bean shaped car or an SUV that is actually just a tall station wagon, and turn their brains to mush with electronic gimmick features. I can engage 4wheel drive, read a map, check my blind spot, and parallel park, all by myself.

Wrangler and CJ owners have a streak of individuality, and their vehicles have both a simple rugged durability, and a rough charm, that brings a smile to everyone's face.
TheBoogieman and 4Low2G0 like this.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
TheOtherMe

Thanks for the responses. Some good info here. I think the biggest struggle for me is that I'm a pretty practical, minimalist kind of guy. I have everything I NEED in life. The Jeep represents something I WANT. It would serve no purpose other than to put a smile on my face. Trust me, I've looked at length for a vehicle that would serve as both practical daily driver and still give me that feeling I get when I see a Jeep. It's the most impractical thing I can think of, but it's also the thing I want the most. I guess I need some garage therapy, but there's nothing there to work on.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2020, 04:11 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You have our permission to buy it, go get one to work on and enjoy!!

Like I posted above, What I like about mine is is doesn't have all the
electronic nannies, I have a sports car that is the same. because I
enjoy the drive in both, very different from each other, but that's the point.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2020, 03:31 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's simple.
Attached Thumbnails
JEEP PROBLEM (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg   JEEP FUN.jpg  
4Low2G0 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in