Clutch recall??? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc
  • 2 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
jeepnyer

Clutch recall???

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler with a manual transmission...clutch blew out while we were driving on I95 with no previous issues...just a burned smell then a cloud of smoke and stopped working. It was towed to a dealer in Virginia who had to replace clutch, and flywheel. We only had 33k miles on the jeep. We had an extended warranty for 100K miles and they are saying it is not covered because it is a wear and tear item or factory defect. Noticed that 2018-2021 jeeps were recalled (42K of them) for the same issue yet no one will help me with this and see that it is the same issue. They just keep telling me my VIN was not recalled. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go with this? I am so frustrated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
clutch is a wear item. Unless you give the specifics of that recall. It may be like apples and oranges. Off hand i recall one for the shift boot issue that was causing POG. pops out of gear. not the same. newer one in the JLs have caught fire that was recalled i believe. do to a clutch issue i heard.

There has it seems early failures of the throw out bearings. No of this this tends to be recalled. Its like the 3.6 issues, no recalls for the most part as its just a quality issue not safety really. But a clutch tends to a operator issue too. some can make them last 100k some far less.
jtec likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2021, 04:19 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

there is no recall for the 2017, it was a limited issue with 2018s.
Obviously you will need a new clutch etc, might want to find out cause of your clutch failure*. BUT as mentioned clutches are wear items and rarely will dealer cover these items, some people will go +200k on a disc others will go thru them regularly.

* is your jeep STOCK?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2021, 10:18 AM
StacyRecalla

Hello all

I just purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport (unltd)...within 30 km my clutch burned out. Feeling it was due to the issue with the recall where the clutch plate overheats. Had to tow it back to the dealership...they want to replace the clutch and hose to the clutch but I fear that will not resolve the overheating problem. Apparently another dealership had installed the new software a year ago, but the clutch still overheated.

I am in the position to make a decision to purchase a new one and give this one back to dealership or take the fix and cross my fingers that this issue will be resolved with the new clutch.

Anyone have any advice, will the clutch replacement fix the overheating issue?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2021, 11:01 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
what i would like to know is how a software change fixes a clutch? Is this clutch fly by wire? If its not then this sounds like total BS
acabtp and jtec like this.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2021, 04:03 PM
StacyRecalla

Thanks for reply...apparently the software will reduce the torque (reducing performance) when the clutch plate overheats to prevent fracture and possible fire risk. Its the FCA's remedy that is a cheap and not sure of effectiveness given my experience.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2021, 04:35 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
This why i will NEVER buy a legacy ICE or E vehicle EVER again. My jeep like all since when i started back in the 70's is for off road and i am hard on it not a DD.

Tesla will be our next vehicle. I like the M-3L and the S-P or SL is unreal but at 90-140k might be more then i can swallow. I say in less then two years these cars will be well over 600 miles a charge. right now the S-L can do 400. Now if my Tesla stocks go up enough maybe i can do a Paid.
lol.......

but what do they want for a red eye or super stock dodge? 100k? the Tesla will eat them for lunch at the 1/4 mile, eat. I have seen way to many videos of 1/4 mile races against this S-P and it makes them all look silly. and no fumes, no oil changes no drooped valve seats and never ending over head cam issues.......

anyone remember they old saying, " First on race day, makes sales on monday". Tesla has never had a add, they dont need to run adds. word of mouth and SHOW me at the track. Hard to believe i think like this as i am a total gear head, love the smell of top fuel and gear oil...times change we are seeing thend of the horse and buggy days of old when the wipe makers said ICE will never replace the horse......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in