Badge of Honor trails I can do on a stock JTRD - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By jocww

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-26-2021, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
jocww

Badge of Honor trails I can do on a stock JTRD

So I have more than a few weeks to plan my trip, but when I fly out to TN to pick up my JTRD from Gupton I want to do as many trails as I can on the way back to here in CA. I am planning on doing Rubicon on the way home. I use to live in Tahoe, but live in the bay area now. But I have done the trail enough times that I think I can do it stock with the go arounds. I was in Moab in Aug doing bike riding and hiking and saw some amazing trails by slick rock so I figure I would maybe try and hit that as well on the way back. But thats the farthest East that I have gone with 4 wheeling. So with that said. Does anybody know what I can straight off the show room floor. Since Im flying out I am not going to have any recovery equipment with me. I might pack a strap or 2 in my carry on. I am going to be on the stock 33 MTs. While I dont mind some scrapes on my skids or rock rails I DO NOT REALLY WANT TO HAVE ANY TRAIL DAMAGE to the paint or anything like that. If its to hairy I will just back it down, but I also dont want to spend hours going out of my way just to find out that I cant make it up the trail. I am planning on taking 4-7 days maybe a bit more for the trip home. But if theres some fantastic trails that I can hit on the way that would be awesome. I will probably be going up to Ohio/Michigan to drop off my dad and friend who lives out that way. I am trying to get some friends to drive out and meet up with me in UT and so we can have a train and drive back. In which case they will be slightly modified Tacoma and Silverado. Once I get to the Rubicon I can have alot of my friends meet me up there since many are just a few miles away.

red 86 xj 3.5 superflex with packs, deutush shocks hella 500 fog lights cb radio 31 dayton mud terrains on 15x8 ion wheels custom front bumper with winch and rear tow point
for you myspacers girlscuddlebug69

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bay Area wheelers click this link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-26-2021, 02:18 PM
Mess262

I recommend making the trip to Rausch Creek in PA. I am in PA and did the 3 trails there in my stock JLURD. If I had 35”s it would have been a bit more effortless BUT I ran them with a buddy who has a JLUR with lift and 35s and he didn’t scrape as much as I did. I only scraped a little bit on the OEM armor and I didn’t even scratch a wheel which I was surprised about honestly. Not even a knick on a wheel. Hit me up if you want to meet up. I am a cautious off-roader as I drive my Jeep there and will rely on it to get home as my primary ride so I don’t try to abuse my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
image_1632687507536.jpg  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-26-2021, 02:22 PM
Mess262

Another nice thing about Rausch is they usually have bypass lines on the more technical trails and they have them rated like a ski slope. Green, blue black etc. many have multiple skill level lines so depending on your rig you can choose the difficulty on a trail or rock field etc. I watched a stock new grand Cherokee take some lines that I was shocked it ran.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-27-2021, 08:24 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Windrock park in Oliver Springs, TN has a couple of BOH trails. Trail 26 is stock friendly.Trail 16 has one spot where a JT may have trouble (4' ledge) but the rest of it's doable if you are going down from Trail 1. Haven't done Trail 51 yet so I don't know what it's like. May do it this weekend when I'm there.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 14 Old 09-28-2021, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
jocww

PA is a bit far 12 hours in the wrong direction unfortunately. Oliver springs while going East is only 3 hours. So that may be doable. 4 ft im gonna go with NO lol.

red 86 xj 3.5 superflex with packs, deutush shocks hella 500 fog lights cb radio 31 dayton mud terrains on 15x8 ion wheels custom front bumper with winch and rear tow point

Quote:
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
PA is a bit far 12 hours in the wrong direction unfortunately. Oliver springs while going East is only 3 hours. So that may be doable. 4 ft im gonna go with NO lol.
The 4' ledge on #16 is a drop if you approach it from the top (from G1)

I suspect you would scrape the belly pretty good going over it. I wouldn't blame you for not doing it in a new JTR. While not a BOH trail, the trail, I believe it's G5, goes off property to an abandoned train. Nice place for lunch and that trail is also stock friendly. Look up Windrock train.
jocww likes this.

17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 14 Old 10-01-2021, 07:17 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
If you do the old sluice on rubicon might take body damage, most people take Indian trail down to Buck. new jeep tail lights and plate stick out to much. I never under stand why people start at Loon lake too. Back in the old days that was escape trail. To day the start really is at airport flats first dirt to Wentworth springs start. The wheeling WAY better from wentworth to where you see the cut off to Loon. I have ran rubicon many times. going back to the 70s

Utah. For me its Sand Hollow by far over Moab, for best wheeling but it is a State Park. Rocks and Dunes all in one place and about anywhere goes. The state park camp ground is top end for Rv and under 40 a night full hook ups. Moab that would be 100+ and packed like sardines. Park each spot is very far apart. very nice separation from each spot pull through too.

Az last jeep truck tried a easy az4 if there is such a thing. was not a happy camper. to long got belled more times then i could count. lost fenders and such as they are narrow and turns, truck is just to long. Out Club has adopted trails here in AZ and i know of some that JT should not even consider to he being to long. would love to see one make it through Jacka$$ without destroying the left side sheet metal.

Badges....we don't need no....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 14 Old 10-01-2021, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
jocww

I might just go from the tahoe side to soup bowl or caddy hill and turn back.

Quote:
post #9 of 14 Old 10-01-2021, 11:26 AM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
We don't need no stinking badges!

post #10 of 14 Old 10-02-2021, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
jocww

Ok I came up with plan. So far... TN I will hit up Windrock park for #56, 26 and maybe 16. Then in Indiana I will hit Red Bird for #5 #3x? #3 #2?. From there I will head north to Michigan and do Holly Oaks, and South Marblehead. Heading East if my friends come I will do UT and those associated ones if not Im going to Glacier NP since I havent gone there and then head south through Idaho and then Reno to my parents place in Tahoe to do Rubicon and then home. The ?s are ones that I dont know if a stock JTRD can make. If anybody could clarify them more that would be awesome.
cranbiz likes this.

Quote:
post #11 of 14 Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
jocww

has anybody done bearwallow?

Quote:
post #12 of 14 Old 10-12-2021, 09:32 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have not but I know people who have.

From what I heard, it used to be mostly ATV trails but now that it's part of the Hatfield-McCoy system it's got better. It was logged a few years ago and for some, it made things worse there.

They require helmets for all, just so you know.

17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #13 of 14 Old 10-12-2021, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
jocww

Even in a jeep? Thats a little off setting Im not gonna fly with helmet just to do a trail. I wonder how enforced that is.

Quote:
post #14 of 14 Old 10-13-2021, 08:10 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
Even in a jeep? Thats a little off setting Im not gonna fly with helmet just to do a trail. I wonder how enforced that is.
Even in a Jeep according to the published info. Snippet here:
Hatfield-McCoy Trail Rules and Regulations set forth by the West Virginia State Legislature.
HB 4488, 20-14-8.

General Rules
User permit required for all drivers and passengers
Everyone must wear a DOT or Snell approved helmet and eye protection
All operators and passengers must meet manufacturer’s minimum age and size requirements
No one under the age of 6 is allowed on the trails under any circumstances
Any operator or passenger under the age of 16 must be under the direct supervision and within eyesight of their parent or guardian at all times
Obey all signs, gates and barriers, stay on marked trails
Trails only open during daylight hours
No littering, No camping, No fires
No alcohol may be consumed or possessed
No glass containers of any kind
Be aware of oncoming traffic, particularly in blind curves and hills
No competitions of speed, endurance or climbing ability allowed at any time without a special use permit
Operate at reasonable speeds and under control at all times
All machines must be equipped with a properly functioning muffler and USFS approved spark arrestor
ORV-Specific Rules
ORVs are ONLY permitted on the Bearwallow, Cabwaylingo and Ivy Branch trail systems.
Driver and passengers are required to wear helmets.
Driver and passengers must have valid trail permits.
A valid driver’s license is required to operate an ORV.
All passengers must be 8 years of age or older OR at least 6 years of age and 4 feet tall. No booster or car seats are allowed.
Seat belts must be worn at all times. the number of passengers is limited to the number of factory installed seat belts.
ORVs are required to have a roll cage on all most difficult (black and black/red) trails.

17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in