All Electric Wrangler - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

All Electric Wrangler

Just read where Jeep (Fiat/Chrysler) will have an all electric Jeep by 2022, along with a hybrid and a gas powered one. Anyone consider buying one? I think it would be very heavy, but tons of torque. Mall Crawler?

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 10:41 AM
jkbrereton

I'd consider it for a mall crawler if I was looking

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Where did you read this? Link? Did it say Wrangler specifically, or just "Jeep"?
I don't see them doing an all-electric Wrangler. It's too old-school with it's box frame and solid axles. Electrifying it would mean a major re-design, which they just did with the JL.
I expect it would be either an all new model, or an existing smaller model like the Cherokee or more likely the Renegade
The Renegade is already available in all-electric in it's Fiat 500e variant, so this would seem to be the most likely candidate for an electric Jeep.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

post #5 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, it'll be interesting to see how they handle this. AFAIK, there are no other dual solid axle, conventional frame, all-electric vehicles.

But hey, Ford announced the new platform all-electric 4-door hatchback Mustang Mach-E, so it's not that surprising I guess.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 12:27 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

No guarantees all of the full electric and hybrids will be available in all markets -- think of the diesel Wrangler that has been sold for years in Europe but not yet still here in North America.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 12:58 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
they all ready have a Fopar-hybrid Jl. battery Lipo under the jeep. with skid plate made of tin. that can not support the weight of the jeep. Lipo gets damaged, lipo catches on fire. Gets caked in mud, over heats< see latter. what can go wrong? Off road just about anything last thing i want is a damaged Lipo pack say halfway through the Dusy Ershim trail, then it catches fire spreads to the fuel tank. well at least we will be warm.......
diverscale likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 01:25 PM
jkbrereton

It's just a matter of time. Honestly, my commute is 8 miles each way so an electric vehicle is very doable. But that is something you DON'T want to be the first to jump into because who knows where the technology is going? I definitely think it's going to happen and become a mainstay. But will it be batteries, fuel cells, hybrids...?

post #9 of 22 Old 12-15-2019, 07:42 PM
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd love to have an all electric Wrangler. Being out in the woods with only the sound of your tires and a little bit of electric hum, you'd probably see a lot more wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
here you go. all electric jeep......

post #11 of 22 Old 12-16-2019, 11:18 PM
chevymad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Couple years ago at the Rubicon jamboree there was a Korean team with an all electric wrangler. Ran the rubicon just fine. They did have a couple of gas powered 5k generators to recharge it at rubicon springs however. A guy could put a gm electric crate under the hood and do his own conversion pretty easily too. I'd think the factory would have an even easier time of building one. https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...in-your-garage
post #12 of 22 Old 12-17-2019, 04:27 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
I'd love to have an all electric Wrangler. Being out in the woods with only the sound of your tires and a little bit of electric hum, you'd probably see a lot more wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
3.6 is rather quiet. Have had many people say they did not even know it was running. The only time it was loud was when the Valve issues that these had back when new. It sounded like an old VW that no one ever set the lash on.

On the Dusy ershem this year i was heading down the trail to Ershem lake about 20 miles in of the 33 total miles the trail is. few guys at the lake never heard us go by and its rough trail. Much harder then the Con is since 2013 when the removed all the hard stuff. Cons only last bit of trail good is the Wentworth to the Y and then the "Old sluice" that is after little sluice and the turn off to Indian trail that the Jams take to Buck island.

anyway at the end those guys caught up and asked how the heck i drove by them. The said they have never had a jeep go by and not be heard or seen..... Must the 12% Indian in me and the fact a stock Jk engine and exhaust 12+ is rather quite. I was in my recon mode too, slow and silent. I have ran the Con in snow too, wonder how the old Koreans would have fared? with out a pair of 5k genies...........

post #13 of 22 Old 12-18-2019, 04:23 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing more appealing than being out in the wilderness when the battery dies and no way to charge it. Another yuppie concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-18-2019, 04:34 AM
jkbrereton

Similar to being out in the middle of nowhere and running out of gas.

post #15 of 22 Old 12-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrereton View Post
Similar to being out in the middle of nowhere and running out of gas.
No, not really.
If in the middle of nowhere and you run out of gas, you can easily dump more in from a can. Can't quite do that with electricity. If you run out of juice, you're boned, plain and simple.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in