After-Mud Maintenance - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
T0ADMAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After-Mud Maintenance

I just had a great day of wheelin' and made it home with no serious trail damage. But, since it had rained the night before, my entire Jeep is covered in mud. There is even some mud in the engine compartement since we went through some pretty deep muddy water.

So, what should I do after a muddy day of wheelin' to be sure that my Jeep doesn't suffer any ill effects?
I assume I should rinse all the mud off the underside of my Jeep. But, how do I safetly clean out the engine? Should I grease/lube anything after I'm done cleaning? What and is normal lithium grease the right stuff.

I'm totally new to this any any advice or links to proper cleanup techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
T0ADMAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is the kind of mud I'm talking about: a couple photos to spark interest

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1517853775

Any info for me on what cleanup is necessary?
post #3 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Little Green

1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Put an oscillating sprinkler underneath it for about an hour. As far as the engine goes go to your local auto parts store(Pep has it) and get some OOMPH cleaner(comes in a yellow spray bottle with a red squeeze handle). It is made by STP and it really works. Spray the entire engine bay down with this stuff and let it sit for 5 minutes and then just rinse it off. DON'T take your high preassure hose and spray it down as you can harm electrics.

91 Grand Wagoneer(Winter vehicle/project)
Prior 08 Wrangler JK Lifted-Miss her

post #4 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

i would change the front and rear diff fluids.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM
flexsaharatj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

make sure you clean everything very well.
power wash if you can that's what I do... I power wash the jeep underneath all over, and scrub down as much as I can... mud is some bad stuff if you leave it sitting so make sure you get in the not so easy places like don't forget under the fenders... the entire under body... etc.

just make sure you clean it... it's the most important thing you can do
post #6 of 17 Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexsaharatj View Post
make sure you clean everything very well.
power wash if you can that's what I do... I power wash the jeep underneath all over, and scrub down as much as I can... mud is some bad stuff if you leave it sitting so make sure you get in the not so easy places like don't forget under the fenders... the entire under body... etc.

just make sure you clean it... it's the most important thing you can do
X2. Be prepared to get yourself dirty as hell, and just pressure wash the living daylights out of it. I NEVER go through mud, but when I do (or come back from playing in the snow) I always blast the hell out of everything. I jsut wear old clothes and goggles and go to town

92 YJ. Lifted, rubbered, geared, and more
post #7 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Little Green

1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Don't preassure wash your engine. You can do some nasty damage to your electrics.

91 Grand Wagoneer(Winter vehicle/project)
Prior 08 Wrangler JK Lifted-Miss her
post #8 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
yjjustforme

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green View Post
Don't preassure wash your engine. You can do some nasty damage to your electrics.
I gotta disagree with you on that one to a point. First spray some de-greaser on it then spray it with the lower setting and try to avoid any important areas like fuse boxes and stuff. I spray my engine bay all the time.

And for the OP i know your gonna leave your jeep dirty for at least a couple days (we all do) to show it off, just make sure when you go to pressure wash it you get in there deep. I mean get into the tranny skid plate, brake calipers, engine bay, and other stuff you would not think of. A rule of thumb is for every minute of mud playing there is a another 15 minutes of washing. So one full day of wheeling means maybe like 4 to 5 hours of cleaning.

Just let me get my hands on the guys that decided to install torx bolts on JEEPS!
post #9 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Rockpile

1994 ZJ 

pressure wash everything from top to bottom. wash the engine off and get some cleaner (i use simple green+water mix) and spray that on, let it sit for 5 or so minutes, then wash that off. for the underside, i heard that the FOAMING tire cleaner works great. pressure wash everything off you can, then spray the foam everywhere and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes then rinse it off. i havent tried that yet but people said it works great. dont forget to pull your carpet up and see if any water or mud got in somehow. after i took mine through mud (never again) i somehow got water under my drivers side carpet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
T0ADMAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
And you're right. I have enjoyed letting everyone see how dirty it got. But I should get a chance to clean it soon. And will have plenty of time to clean it real good this weekend, if not before then.
Sounds like I should get some cleansers as well. And just plan to really get in there.

Anything I should grease/lube/oil? And fluids I should change besides the diff?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
yjjustforme

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its always good to grease the d. shafts every now and then.

Just let me get my hands on the guys that decided to install torx bolts on JEEPS!
post #12 of 17 Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Take your wheels off and completely clean your brakes. Especially the rear drums. Make sure to relube the backing plates.

Scott

"life is good at 2 MPH"
post #13 of 17 Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I immediately wash the underside of the jeep when I get back from a trail. My brakes, ALL my bushings, EVERYTHING underneath the jeep...Then I leave the outside all dirty for the world to see for a day or two

Silver 02 TJ Apex Edition. SOLD

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is completely unneccesary to change diff fluid after a day of muddy water. Dunno about anyone else, but MY diffs have vent tubes well above any possible water level. (3 speed auto trans is a different story... if you are gonna play in deepr water, like above the centers of the wheels, with a 3 speed auto, make the effort to relocate the vent. Behind and above the torque converter inside the pumpkin is nowhere near high enough.)

Good maintenence is assumed; your axle seals and diff covers must seal well and not leak, and your vent must not be plugged. Hot diff hitting cold water can suck water in as they cool rapidly if seals are bad.

Another thing no one else mentioned: if you have a distributor, wash the engine bay and then dry out the inside of the cap. Applies to all pre-2000.

I'd advise tyring to avoid getting the alternator soaked... but you gotta get the mud out somehow. Anyone with really good ideas on how to manage the alternator, post up; these can be stupid expensive depending on model and year, and contamination can short the field, causing full alternator output (pegging the gauge over 19) and over time damaging electronics in the vehicle.

97 TJ Sport - 4.0/HP D30 w ARB/8.8 w LS/4.88s; 35s and flat fenders on 2.5 lift

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
T0ADMAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I spent 3 hours hosing and pulling handfuls of mud out from under my Jeep and people driving by were still telling me how my Jeep looked like a commercial. This is going to take a lot of cleaning.

I guess mud isn't for the faint-hearted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in