Added New OEM wheels/tires (pressure and lug nut questions?) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Added New OEM wheels/tires (pressure and lug nut questions?)

When I ordered my JKUS almost 2 1/2 years ago I wanted a very particular combination of driveline, interior, and exterior components and the closest I could come was a Sahara 6-spd, with 3.73 Trak-lok rear, along with the heated leather, NAV etc.

The one thing I couldn't get was a nice set of black 17" wheels with the OEM mud terrain tires.

Honestly the 18" and Duelers are fine for most of my use. But after driving my buddies truck in the dunes earlier this month I started thinking maybe I would enjoy more off-road biased tires too.

So I searched for a few weeks and scored a basically brand new set of take-offs from a 2017 Jeep Willys. Picked them up yesterday and got around to mounting them this morning!

I'm very happy.

One stupid question - tire pressures? The OM says see the sticker, the sticker only has data for the 18" wheels and Duelers I had on there previously.

What's the OEM recommendation on Rubis/Willys etc that come with this style wheel and tire, also 35 psi or ???

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Edited title to show there's a question here.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #3 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 05:51 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't go above 30 psi if you want them to ride good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Follow up question on the lugs.

Seller gave me a set of brand new black, spline lug nuts which I used when mounting but the contact area on the bevel seems a bit small (so there's less contact area between the taper on the nut and the taper in the wheel) and I'm having second thoughts about them. I'm thinking of going back to the OEM for durability.

From the box and part numbers it looks like it was this set off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HLZZ-SL-N021-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I know it's hard to tell from a photo, but what do you guys think? Danger or meh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I wouldn't go above 30 psi if you want them to ride good.
Really, that sounds low for the street to me, but I'm new to these tires.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Follow up question on the lugs.

Seller gave me a set of brand new black, spline lug nuts which I used when mounting but the contact area on the bevel seems a bit small (so there's less contact area between the taper on the nut and the taper in the wheel) and I'm having second thoughts about them. I'm thinking of going back to the OEM for durability.

From the box and part numbers it looks like it was this set off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HLZZ-SL-N021-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I know it's hard to tell from a photo, but what do you guys think? Danger or meh?

Really, that sounds low for the street to me, but I'm new to these tires.
They're basically 32s. I run 28 psi in 33s and 32 psi in 31s. I ran those exact tires and wheels on my TJ for a while before going to 35s. You could run them at 35 psi with your heavier Jeep. My brother gave them to me off his Willys JK.

p.s. Those lugs are fine.
Kev M likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
post #6 of 17 Old 05-02-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'm still thinking of switching back to the OEM lugs. I dunno... I guess I should try and find someone who has used them for a while in this application. I just don't think I feel comfortable with halfing the contact area, especially on an aluminum wheel. < shrugs >

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #7 of 17 Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just make sure you torque them to spec.
Yes there is a torque spec for wheels, also torque them in a star pattern.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Just make sure you torque them to spec.
Yes there is a torque spec for wheels, also torque them in a star pattern.
I ran them on with my old Snap-on air gun set to low pressure, then finished with a torque wrench set to 100 ft. lbs. per the manual. Always use a star pattern and go through it twice in case the wheel wasn't fully seated by the gun. If so the first one or two in the pattern might tighten more on the second pass.

I lowered the setting in the spare as I didn't trust the door carrier as much, but still set to 70 ft. lbs. Is there a spec on the carrier lugs?

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #9 of 17 Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 AM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

I've always used "SPLINE" locknuts and they ALL are significantly NARROWER than OEM lug nuts--

They all should have a 60 degree taper and my advice is--

Always run the splines up to finger tight SEAT--all five and then hand ratchet/then torque in 5 pattern--

That way uou will insure that ALL LUGS ARE SEATED IN A BALANCED FORMATION--

A lotta work, YUP, but you don't doit very often and you can rest easy about the wheel mounting--

You're probably having a STUD/WHEEL variance because of using a wheel/w 12mm clearance lug holes--on a hub/w 14mm studs--it'll fit, but you have to be careful/w the spline taper--

I'm doing the same if my JL ever comes in !

Good luck

JIMBO
Kev M likes this.

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #10 of 17 Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I'm still thinking of switching back to the OEM lugs. I dunno... I guess I should try and find someone who has used them for a while in this application. I just don't think I feel comfortable with halfing the contact area, especially on an aluminum wheel. < shrugs >
I'm taking a shot in the dark that any Jeep you own will never go offroad? You sound like my "THANK GOD" EX wife. Buy a Jeep for you or take orders like a dog from the dominate one.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-04-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I'm taking a shot in the dark that any Jeep you own will never go offroad? You sound like my "THANK GOD" EX wife. Buy a Jeep for you or take orders like a dog from the dominate one.
I don't know what you define as "off-road".

I'm about 5 miles from a 100,000 acre forest whose trails it was on scratching doors at 100 miles.

It also spends weeks every year on the beach and going through the dunes to and from the OBX house.

But no, if your definition is some sort of hardcore rock crawling, no probably never.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #12 of 17 Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Update, guess it's been over a year on the new tires/wheels and spline lug nuts. No problems or worries.

I've been running the Willy's tires at 37 psi (I forget where I was told that was OEM rec).

That tire and wheel combo has continued to make short work of the sugar sand.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #13 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 05:34 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

@Kev M We're currently running the DPA wheel lugs on reproduction Hardrock wheels. These lugs are about the size and have the same pitch as shown in your image. No issues to report after months of driving. Though your image seems to show more room arounf the lugs than ours. Look into the DPA lugs. In fact I can send you an extra lug (Have to check) to see if these are identical to yours.
Attached Thumbnails
D2vqLxAWwAAhDT9.jpg  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
@Kev M We're currently running the DPA wheel lugs on reproduction Hardrock wheels. These lugs are about the size and have the same pitch as shown in your image. No issues to report after months of driving. Though your image seems to show more room arounf the lugs than ours. Look into the DPA lugs. In fact I can send you an extra lug (Have to check) to see if these are identical to yours.
Yeah it's been a year and maybe 10k miles now so I'm not worried anymore they've certainly proven themselves. But I appreciate the report. I'll look into DPA out of curiosity.

Recently added a new softop in a color less often seen these days. I continue to l really enjoy this Jeep. Kids were howling with joy in the back seat last night, wind blowing in their hair. What more could I want.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #15 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 05:49 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Here's a the wheel lock beside the 2 extra DPA wheel lugs. Does you're have the same expanded pitch as shown here?.

BTW hows the tires holding up? we ran these on another jeep a few years back got about 28k from them. Just have to remember that mud tires are for mud and they are a softer compound. You'll need to rotate these often even include the spare.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0098.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in