WTB 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Jeff Hofmann

WTB 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

What should I look for other than rust? From Detroit but want to buy in KY.

$3750 OBO 168,000 mi Automatic 4-speed.

Owner's comments to my questions below:

Surface rust on this one. Some vehicles here have rust and some don’t. It really depends on if a person washed them in the winter or not. I also have a wj with no rust.I will send you pictures if you like.

Leaks a little oil as all inline six cylinder do. Transmission is four speed blows hot air for heat replaced ac compressor last year and never got ac recharged. Engine light on for transmission sensor that could be replaced. Not a big deal. Eventually may need to replace oxygen sensor. Also not a big deal. Definitely not a new Jeep but it’s a decent one. I have put probably 25k miles on it in the last three years. Has almost new mud tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

If it's got a check engine light that's "no big deal" to fix, why hasn't he fixed it? Surely it would make it easier to sell if fixed.
Why would you believe him that it's no big deal? What will your recourse be when you find out it's really a $2k repair?
Kinda sounds like he's trying to dump his problems on someone else, states away.
Around here, any CEL will cause it to fail it's emissions inspection, meaning no license plates until it's fixed. I wouldn't touch it unless he fixes that CEL first.

And why would he go through the time and expense to replace the costly a/c compressor, then not finish the job with a simple charge? What else is really wrong with the a/c system? Smells fishy.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Jeff Hofmann

I can't agree more with those two points. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck. It's a duck. In this case dumping problems. I could bring an ODBII code scanner with me. I like the ads when the sellers list all the parts they replaced. Those vehicles tend to sell pretty quick. I listed the parts I replaced in my ad for a 2004 Ford Expedition with the rockers rusted out and other than my wishful thinking about the price $4750 I wanted. It sold fast. Within a couple days of me lowering the price $750 and when it came down to it, I took $900 less than that. My motivation for selling it was that it was just going to rust away or something catastrophic could happen and it wouldn't be worth anything.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM
ExJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bad Head

Didn't the 2000 models also have the heads that are prone to cracking. Personally I am hunting for a 1997 or 1998 model. Have obdII and good heads.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJ View Post
Didn't the 2000 models also have the heads that are prone to cracking. Personally I am hunting for a 1997 or 1998 model. Have obdII and good heads.
2000 model year has the cylinder head prone to cracking and the weaker low pinion Dana 30 axle. You want a 97-99 XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in