Wrangler VS Liberty - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
tvandmoviecars

Wrangler VS Liberty

I will soon be in the market for a JEEP and trying to decide which is better MATCH for me. Majority of my driving is on paved roads and highways, but on some weekends I want to hit the 2 tracks/trails up north. I like the convertible option of the wranglers, but also like the comfort of the Liberty. I want to get the 6 banger with whichever I get, for the extra ponies. I would like the option of adding a winch for when I trail ride, and for winters... is that a option with a liberty? I like the $$$ of the libertys a lot more then the wranglers, as outwardly, at least... it appears you get more for the $$$. What are your opinions? Whatever I get will be pretty stock, with only maybe a few minor upgrades (like a winch, and maybe slightly bigger tires, if posible.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM
98TJSE

comparing the 2 is apples to bananas.... :O lol
ARB does make a winch bumper for the front, or did when i had my 2005 Liberty 3 years ago, its was pricy but what full good solid front bumper isnt(paid 1300 shipped CND)

liberty is a small SUV and adding a few skidplates its pretty capable.. adding it does get hella better fuel economy with the 3.7L V6 over the wrangler period..

Wranglers are far superior i found having owned the Dodge Nitro(rebranded Liberty in 2009) a Liberty, and a Patriot .. but they do have downsides..

fuel economy sucks, i freeze in northern ontario canada, road noise(in general)

upside, i go doorless, topless, drop windshield and have fun in summer, cant do that with any other vehicle...

Wranglers for the most part are like having a street legal side by side, were the Liberty is a small SUV that il be honest with is alot more comfortable on long hauls but i would take my base model 4 banger TJ over any liberty ANYDAY
post #3 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Jeepsr4me

Get you a hard top JK and carry on..

post #4 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Liberty3
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandmoviecars View Post
I will soon be in the market for a JEEP and trying to decide which is better MATCH for me. Majority of my driving is on paved roads and highways, but on some weekends I want to hit the 2 tracks/trails up north. I like the convertible option of the wranglers, but also like the comfort of the Liberty. I want to get the 6 banger with whichever I get, for the extra ponies. I would like the option of adding a winch for when I trail ride, and for winters... is that a option with a liberty? I like the $$$ of the libertys a lot more then the wranglers, as outwardly, at least... it appears you get more for the $$$. What are your opinions? Whatever I get will be pretty stock, with only maybe a few minor upgrades (like a winch, and maybe slightly bigger tires, if posible.)
Post this in the KK section, that's the Liberty home they will answer your question.

Bush guard, KC lights, Tail light Cover's
Stock for now, 225-75-16 Yokohama M/T.
post #5 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 04:46 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
If you aint gonna do a bunch of upgrades, and just minor off road stuff, the liberty will b way more comfortable.
If I was in your position, I think a crd liberty would b perfect. More power, better fuel economy.

The wrangler is way cooler, but comfort is not its strong suit.
Liberty is plenty strong enough to hit most trails.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #6 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 05:17 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Liberty's get terrible gas mileage. My GF's V6 gets 17 mpg highway stock with puny tires. Here's one on 37's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 PM
TJDaveX
Motorized toy collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandmoviecars View Post
I will soon be in the market for a JEEP, or something made by Jeep that just has the logo on it.
^

If you really want a JEEP, and all the off road benefits that come with it, and don't need 4 doors, get a TJ or LJ.

If you want a quiet 4wd SUV with lots of creature comforts for exploring forest roads only, get the Liberty. Although, there are so many better choices out there.

If you want it all, get a JKU.

post #8 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:15 PM
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For light duty trails, I'd recommend just getting a Liberty. My dad has a 2005 KJ Liberty, and even though it's a 2wd 2.4L 6 speed, it's very comfortable, has 4 doors for passengers, a nice trunk space, it's easy to mount a roof rack to, there was a recall where you can go to the dealer and get a free trailer hitch, gets decent gas mileage, it's quieter, and it'll get you anywhere you plan on going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeep Liberty's get terrible gas mileage. My GF's gets 17 mpg highway stock with puny tires.
LOL 20-21 MPG easy on mine

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
05 KJ
post #10 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:19 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Mine 32s, 4.10s, used to run ARB bumper now another aftermarket and a lot of other parts

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
05 KJ
post #11 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 PM
postal719
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are crazy. The Liberty is an abomination to Jeep. It is a dressed up car. Get a Wrangler or buy a different brand of vehicle. There truly is no way to compare the two...... By the way, I sank a Liberty in the Pacific Ocean once. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sorry. Someone has to be straight up.
post #12 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:34 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal719 View Post
You guys are crazy. The Liberty is an abomination to Jeep. It is a dressed up car. Get a Wrangler or buy a different brand of vehicle. There truly is no way to compare the two...... By the way, I sank a Liberty in the Pacific Ocean once. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sorry. Someone has to be straight up.

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
05 KJ
post #13 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 PM
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal719
Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Wrangler to death and will only ever buy Wranglers. However would you buy a Jeep if you knew you were going to travel across the country twice a month, only driving on freeways? Of course not. You have a Wrangler because it fits the wants and needs of what you want to do with your vehicle. Same with me. And same with this gentleman. Why pay twice as much for a vehicle that is way more offroad capable than what he needs, and less onroad capable than the Liberty?

Furthermore, I can tell you're a Jeep purist. I get that, that's cool. But for a company as a whole to succeed, you must appeal to the buyers. The people on this forum are only a small percentage of people who own Wranglers, or Jeeps at all for that matter. 95% of Jeeps in my area are bone stock. It may be different for your area, but that's how it is here. Basing an entire car company, one of the largest in the world, over the wants of a few guys saying, "we want the old Jeeps back" is a car company that will fail.

TL;DL: Times change, get with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 104 Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

We just donated our 03 KJ to charity and got a 2014 JKU to replace it. If I had the room I would have kept it. It was getting a bit long in the tooth for any serious trips around but was still good enough that I would have kept it as a winter beater. Guy in our Offroad club has one and is not afraid to take it out. He just put 31's and a lift on it.
It was our first "Jeep" as we needed something more practical than a Wrangler.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #15 of 104 Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Liberty3
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal719 View Post
You should have sank with it

Bush guard, KC lights, Tail light Cover's
Stock for now, 225-75-16 Yokohama M/T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in