• 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 2 Post By rikity
  • 1 Post By Kev M
  • 1 Post By Kev M
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-26-2021, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
smokeythecat

Wrangler Manual Transmission No Longer Available?

Yesterday I tried to order a Willys Sport from the factory but was told that Jeep isn't building any with manual transmissions. I'm assuming this has something to do with the recall earlier in the year. The dealer had no idea when the manual transmission option might be available again.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this? It's pretty irritating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
considering the fix for a clutch was software....when its a hardware issue.......hey lets just make it go into limp mode<fixed.........
smokeythecat likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-05-2021, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
smokeythecat

As a follow-up, I found a dealer who said they could order one with a manual for me, but after considering the problems they were having I just decided to go with auto. I revamped my order, and they tell me it will take 8-12 weeks. Ugh.
Kev M likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2021, 03:22 PM
rikity

You'll like the auto better. This isnt coming from a guy that doesnt love manual trans either. They've basically ruined all of them with poor gearing. I drove a JT with a manual trans and it was horrible and sluggish. I didnt look into it any further but I'd assume the JL would have the same transmission, even aside from the issues.
Kev M and smokeythecat like this.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Kev M
2016 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I still love my 6-spd JKU with the 3.73 gearing but I've driven various JKU and JLU auto versions and they were better.
smokeythecat likes this.

Current Jeep: 2016 JKUS - My Mall/Beach/Dunes/Forest crawler - lightly modded
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2021, 01:04 PM
2022rubi2doors

You can order the 6 speed with 4.88 gears. (I just did) That should even things out as far as torque goes with the manual compared to an auto. Manuals have been sluggish compared to all automatics in all cars because of gearing and emissions. It’s some CAFE bs that’s been messing up manuals. Not because automatics are any stronger or faster than they were in the 70’s. Simple engineering tactics.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-12-2021, 08:11 AM
Kev M
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022rubi2doors View Post
You can order the 6 speed with 4.88 gears. (I just did) That should even things out as far as torque goes with the manual compared to an auto. Manuals have been sluggish compared to all automatics in all cars because of gearing and emissions. Itís some CAFE bs thatís been messing up manuals. Not because automatics are any stronger or faster than they were in the 70ís. Simple engineering tactics.
I don't know if you remember, but manuals used to get the highest fuel ratings over autos. For decades autos were less efficient and had fewer gears. But they eventually caught up to and then surpassed manuals in terms of function and efficiency. There is a reason that manuals are disappearing even from sports cars and even super/hypercars these days.
smokeythecat likes this.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2021, 11:16 AM
2022rubi2doors

I do remember manuals getting better gas mileage. Autos haven’t caught up, manual cars have been dumbed down. Meaning an adaptive automatic transmission is computer controlled an can fake out emissions. Take this a step further into “right to repair”, and a manufacturer can lock you out of repairs with an automatic because of software licensing, Not something you can do with a stick so regearing for mileage is the only way. Honestly the amount of force needed to pushing a clutch for a 1000rwh vehicle is dumb, hence the automatics.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:24 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The real fake out emission is the this Xe jeep with 20 miles of E power. Try fixing that system, right to repair. like most anyone hear can even touch a new jeep with a wrench.... hell most dont read codes they clear them thinking that is the fix.
smokeythecat likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #10 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:33 AM
Kev M
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I do remember manuals getting better gas mileage. Autos havenít caught up, manual cars have been dumbed down. Meaning an adaptive automatic transmission is computer controlled an can fake out emissions..
I don't think that means what you think that means.

post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 PM
2022rubi2doors

I’m not sure you get what I’m saying. Automatics are no faster now than 40 years ago. In order for manual cars to be produced with comparable gas mileage and meet cafe standards (for the vehicle to exist) they have softer gearing than the same power plant driven automatic. Automatics have taller gearing and now everything from 5-10 speeds to CVT, but most importantly they are computer controlling the shift points. To meet standards that can not be meet with an equally geared manual. Again this has nothing to do Lamborghini never running a clutch again. If an automatic (hydraulic torque transfer) was faster, stronger, more efficient they would be used in racing platforms and they are not.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
smokeythecat

Quote:
You can order the 6 speed with 4.88 gears. (I just did)
Wow. There were zero other options listed when ordering my Willys Sport 2 door. I'm getting 3.45.

Tags
manual transmission , willys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in