3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kev M
  • 1 Post By Vicbro
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Vicbro

Would love your opinion

What are your thoughts of 2020 Rubicon with a V4 turbo vs the V6? Which would you prefer? I’m asking because I’m buying a new 2020 and the V4 Turbo is more money. As a long time Jeep owner and lover I feel V6 is what majority want, but dealership is saying the last two years the V4 is the most popular. Your thoughts would be so appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 10:02 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This link may help,

https://www.motor1.com/news/276660/2...no-test-video/

Also check rental car companies and see if can rent one for a weekend.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 10:10 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
If use off road is any real consideration. I would avoid the Hybrid 4 banger. The design and placement of the Lithium battery is a REAL REAL bad idea. For a street jeep its a Fiat and your money........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Vicbro

Hey! Thanks for your comment. It’s not a hybrid. It’s a V4 Turbo. Does that change your thoughts? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
If use off road is any real consideration. I would avoid the Hybrid 4 banger. The design and placement of the Lithium battery is a REAL REAL bad idea. For a street jeep its a Fiat and your money........
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Vicbro

Thanks! I’ve done my homework with this part. I guess I’m trying to see what the TRUE Jeep enthusiast would choose to protect my resale. I get the feeling this V4 Turbo is the choice of a different Jeep lover. More like coastal surf board buyer then old school Jeep lovers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
This link may help,

http://www.motor1.com/news/276660/20...no-test-video/

Also check rental car companies and see if can rent one for a weekend.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicbro View Post
Hey! Thanks for your comment. Itís not a hybrid. Itís a V4 Turbo. Does that change your thoughts? Thanks!
The 2020 might not be the eTorque but the 2018/2019's were so, yes, they were somewhat a hybrid.

The 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo has (not sure about the 2020's) a 48V lithium battery and it's own cooling system under the Jeep in a place that it could be damaged going off road.

The other issue is the power band is all wrong for off road activities. It's high end torque where you really need low end torque. It also requires Premium gas to make advertised specifications.

For me, there is a lot not to like about the 2.0L turbo. If I was in the resale market, the 2.0L would not be on my short list.

To the dealers comments, the reason they appear to be more popular is thats what the dealers are stocking. 99% of people buying a Jeep buy off the lot. Dealers in my area are sitting on the V4's, the V6 units are the ones moving.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 11 Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Vicbro

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this! Super helpful and exactly what I thought about the dealer and their thoughts. This engine has only been on the market for 2 years so I was really struggling with having no historical stats on its performance. I’m going with the V6. Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicbro View Post
Hey! Thanks for your comment. It’s not a hybrid. It’s a V4 Turbo. Does that change your thoughts? Thanks!
The 2020 might not be the eTorque but the 2018/2019's were so, yes, they were somewhat a hybrid.

The 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo has (not sure about the 2020's) a 48V lithium battery and it's own cooling system under the Jeep in a place that it could be damaged going off road.

The other issue is the power band is all wrong for off road activities. It's high end torque where you really need low end torque. It also requires Premium gas to make advertised specifications.

For me, there is a lot not to like about the 2.0L turbo. If I was in the resale market, the 2.0L would not be on my short list.

To the dealers comments, the reason they appear to be more popular is thats what the dealers are stocking. 99% of people buying a Jeep buy off the lot. Dealers in my area are sitting on the V4's, the V6 units are the ones moving.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'm glad to see you're leaning towards the V6. That's what I would have suggested for a couple of reasons.

* I'm not sure the turbo provides any real advantages for the additional costs of higher octane requirements and quite likely higher long term maintenance costs with the turbo and moreso if it's got the "hybrid" starter motor/alternator/ESS system.

* I'm not sold that DI motors won't suffer coking problems on intake valves long term.

* Turbo motors tend to struggle to match the mpg rating numbers where NA motors tend to match or beat them much more easily. Edit- though they may offer an advantage at altitude.

* If you look at the torque curve on that L4 (point of order, it's NOT a V4, IT'S INLINE), it seems to come on at higher rpms which I probably wouldn't like as much on or off-road.

But mostly our 2012 V6 Pentastar has been so mechanically reliable that it helped me to decide to get a second one in 2016.
furnmed1 likes this.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Vicbro

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for this extra information! I ended up buying the V6 Rubicon in sting gray. I have no regrets and everyone here helped me so much stick with what I felt in my gut. I really appreciate all the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I'm glad to see you're leaning towards the V6. That's what I would have suggested for a couple of reasons.

* I'm not sure the turbo provides any real advantages for the additional costs of higher octane requirements and quite likely higher long term maintenance costs when the turbo and moreso if it's got the "hybrid" starter motor/alternator/ESS system.

* I'm not sold that DI motors won't suffer coking problems on intake valves long term.

* Turbo motors tend to struggle to match the mpg rating numbers where NA motors tend to match or beat them much more easily.

* If you look at the torque curve on that L4 (point of order, it's NOT a V4, IT'S INLINE), it seems to come on at higher rpms which I probably wouldn't like as much on or off-road.

But mostly our 2012 V6 Pentastar has been so mechanically reliable that it helped me to decide to get a second one in 2016.
Kev M likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I think you will be really happy with it and the V6. The Pentastar on my 2012 has been so good, I had no problems getting a 2017 Grand Cherokee with the same motor.
Kev M likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Vicbro

I ended up buying the V6 Rubicon and LOVE it. I really appreciate everyone’s advice and support! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I think you will be really happy with it and the V6. The Pentastar on my 2012 has been so good, I had no problems getting a 2017 Grand Cherokee with the same motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in