What model Jeep to buy? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
finsfree

What model Jeep to buy?

I am looking to buy my first Jeep and I am a little confused about the models.

I have narrowed my search down to the TJ model (97-06).

I'll be using this jeep for my every day driver getting to work and back with the occasional weekend off road adventure. Nothing too crazy though. I don't really want to be working on the thing after every woods adventure.

So Basically, I want comfort as my first priority.

What model in the year bracket (97-06) would do the trick?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2019, 09:43 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Lj would be my pick of that era. If it was my money might as well find a LJR. you may not need that much jeep but they have a value. No d35 issues. better gearing. no d30 front as well. down from that a regular LJ. Down from that is the Tj. as for Sahara etc. mostly about interior , stickers.. bla bla. The autos in these years are the typical slush box 4 speed . or no overdrive three.

no rust would be the main thing and i would be sure of that or pass.

these are at the youngest what 13 years old. How long is your DD? Jeep and its mpg ok for the commute? Jeep speed in a six banger is not life in the fast lane. i just spent about 5 months looking for a 4x4. not a heep but a 2000-2003 Excursion with a 7.3. They are expensive still as well. Rust is deal breaker of any kind to me when people get into the 10k plus for anything. Found one in Utah. Well cared for 12k. Drove it back to Az. thing with 35s gets 19mpg. 375hp swamp injectors long list of upgrades. i bet at 65 it would get 21mpg. my 2012 jeep stock at BEST got 19. An excursion is like a ship compared to a even a 4 door jeep. tows more. better mpg? weighs in at near 8k pounds. still bets better mpg then a brand new jeep? anyway i found one of the last 7.3 Ex's, for the wife. can not wait to take this wheeling, rolling coal.......I would love to try one of the BIg trails in this thing BUT its to nice to seeif it fits through say the Rubicon........

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfree View Post

I have narrowed my search down to the TJ model (97-06).

So Basically, I want comfort as my first priority.

What model in the year bracket (97-06) would do the trick?

Thanks,

Oxymoron, (Wrangler/comfort)

None.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM
TheWorldWideWeb

Agree on LJR. If not, any year TJ Rubicon.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 PM
CJ7FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Oxymoron, (Wrangler/comfort)

None.
I reckon it's in the beholder... those things are like cadillacs. I would even call them "squishy."

E: to OP, they are all good. I'd look for clean, no rust, 5-speed. After that, it's just options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in