Want to buy Warngler - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
kenabbott60

Want to buy Warngler

Hey, folks. I've been a longtime BMW guy who is moving to Vermont. I've always wanted a Jeep, so now's the time. A few questions:

1) I hear rumors of unreliability. What's up with that? Are Jeeps any less reliable than other cars?

2) Is there a simple table showing the difference between Wranglers? The websites make them all seem more or less the same except for screen size and a few other things?

3) I want a 2-door with a) a manual transmission, and b) really good clearance. What do you recommend?

4) WRT clearance, is this achieved with larger wheels? I don't want a monster truck, but I do want to be able to get through a foot of snow.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 05:41 AM
myjeep3701

You must build it up to get it to what you want.
Jeeps are very reliable, at least my TJ is. In my opinion,newer ones are just ugly plastic junks..

You put a lift kit on it depending on how high you want to be, plus some larger tires (mind your gear ratio)
Manual trans is super fun to drive. Canít buy auto Jeep.. eww

Where in Vermont. Grew up in Burlington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 05:44 AM
myjeep3701

For height reference , Here is mine with a 3Ē suspension lift and 285/70r17 tires.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
kenabbott60

Wallingford.
Gotta have a stick shift. I see many are still available in new Jeeps. I'm just confused by all the different Wrangler versions.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 05:57 AM
myjeep3701

Whatís confusing about them, and are you looking for a older or newer one?

post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
kenabbott60

• new
  • 2-door
  • manual transmission

I don't much care about screen size, sound system, smooth ride, or even engine size, assuming that all models have reasonably powerful engines. My current car has 414HP and a very rough ride (M3) and I feel like the power is wasted. I'm not sure how to go about this process without getting ripped off.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 06:24 AM
myjeep3701

Why you want too much HP on a Jeep?
After all, itís a Jeep not a sport car.

The models arenít confusing. Here are the basic

1st gen is YJ ó very solid
2nd gen is TJ ó very solid
3rd gen is JK ó plastic junk
4th gen JL ó more plastic more junk

You pick one, find it, go out there look at it and buy it. What the frame. Watch the engine if you looking at newer ones. Engines go bad.
The old inline 6 is bullet proof

Can you work on them?

post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
kenabbott60

I have no experience as a mechanic. I have no problems changing tires, etc., but the workings of the interior combustion engine are essentially magic as far as I'm concerned.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjeep3701 View Post
1st gen is YJ — very solid
2nd gen is TJ — very solid
3rd gen is JK — plastic junk
4th gen JL — more plastic more junk
Not what he was asking about. What he wants to know about is trim levels

Sport - Base model. Basic steel wheels and trim.
Sport S - 1/2 step above basic Sport. Available with nicer wheels/trim and optional 2.0 diesel.
Sahara - More comfortable, nicer wheels, trim and interior.
Rubicon - Most off-road capable with lower geared t-case for crawling, full locking diffs for traction and electronic disconnect sway bar for articulation.
Moab - Nicer Sahara.

As far as clearance, any one of the models will do what you need without modifying. If you decide you want larger tires, there's much more to it than just throwing on larger tires. Depending on how large you wan to go, you'd need to modify the suspension and should re-gear the axles. The larger the tires, the more you need to modify and obviously the more expensive it gets. You can easily exceed the cost of the Jeep itself if you go nuts on it.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #10 of 13 Old 07-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Ken,

Here's a story you won't hear from a lot of Jeep guys.

IF you don't plan on running rock crawling trails at idle while feathering the clutch, then the Rubicon is not the right choice.

IF you want average off-road use and on-road foul weather use then a full time 4wd or AWD system is superior. That's not normally available in a Wrangler, but as of the JL (2018 1/2+) it is available in a 4-door (JLU) Sahara.

I have a 2016 JKU Sahara that I ordered from the factory in a very specific configuration, including a 6-spd. Truthfully I don't regret it, but it's a barbaric gear box with a fatally flawed throw out bearing assembly that I only I will have to replace eventually. And it's more difficult to drive in my mind off-road usage (beach, dunes, deep sand).

The shorter wheelbase of a 2-door can be tricky (or a ball depending on your attitude) in deep snow and ice. That rear end will dance on you easily. I've got a Trac-Lok limited slip rear because it's the closest I could get to a more "full-time" system that would also deal well with the sand/beach. But that means I have to use caution in snow/ice cause that rear will jump and slide if I don't.

Anyway I'm quite familiar with BMW and M3's and they are the polar opposite of my Jeep. As a matter of fact before we moved where we did for my wife's job 6 years ago I thought we would wind up in the mountains and I was looking at things more like a WRX STI or 3-series X-drive or ... But then we wound up in flat, straight, Pinelands and I instead ordered a Jeep.

The Wrangler is a Tonka truck I keep the top off or open for months at a time, roll the whole family to the OBX for vacations and generally take life at a much slower pace than I would in an M3.

Anyway, so clarify or decide on your functional needs and go from there. Stripped, well equipped, luxurious, hardcore rock crawler (Sport --- Sahara -- Rubicon) and go from there.

Just remember it corners at like 1/4 the speed of an M.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
kenabbott60

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I can't seem to find a 2-door manual within 100 miles. Am I being unreasonable? Or am I just unlucky? I've been driving M3s for 22 years and I love my E-92, but it's not much good in the snow. I've always wanted a jeep, but I really want a 6-speed.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabbott60 View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I can't seem to find a 2-door manual within 100 miles. Am I being unreasonable? Or am I just unlucky? I've been driving M3s for 22 years and I love my E-92, but it's not much good in the snow. I've always wanted a jeep, but I really want a 6-speed.
I'm sure you can get one if you want.

But as we both probably know the manual transmission is on the way out.

Many manufacturers of high end sport cars don't even offer them anymore right.

So I'm not surprised they aren't easy to find.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2020, 07:13 AM
jcarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabbott60 View Post
Iíve had a TJ 2 door manual in the snow in Amarillo and it was a blast and had no issues with handling. Now have a 2 door JK with a manual and love it over my automatic 4 door JKU. And Jeeps are reliable, just like other vehicles if you maintain them youíll have no issues. Youíre not crazy theyíre out there or you may have to order it.

I would recommend renting one for a week to see if you even like it. As was said earlier the polar opposite of a BMW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in