Used Jeep Compass - Need Help! :) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
floki84

Used Jeep Compass - Need Help! :)

Hello,

First, I live in Canada, Vancouver BC.
I'm about to buy a Jeep Compass within the next 2 months. The problem is I do not have any clue about what good deals are, and every time I walk in to a garage and let the salesmen help me out, I feel like they are trying to screw me. Hence I always walk out without a car .

I'm hoping to find some help here regarding pricing and what to watch out for.

My budget is capped at 20k, though I'd prefer not to spend more than 18k (the less the better).
I'd rather buy a 1-2 year old Compass for a bit less and maybe with a bit more installed options, than buying a new one with minimal outfitting.

And because I'd rather buy a used one (or one that was used as display car), I'm having lots of difficulties to buy one as I'd prefer not to be screwed but always feel like being screwed. Who knows, perhaps the offers I found on the "honest" internet are indeed good,and the salesmen are all very honest and nice, but I doubt it.

The offers below, for example, are they decent? If not, would you mind telling me why they're bad offers, so I can spot good offers in the future and grab it and avoid being screwed .

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/searc...toMinYear=2012

The only option I'd really like to have installed is 4WD. Everything else is nice to have only.

To sum it up: I want to buy a Jeep Compass, not older than year 2012 and preferable with 4WD for no more than 18k, if possible. Oh and the car should hold for 7-10 years

Any other help appreciated.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, slow down and do some research.

Start here:

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ems-questions/
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/compass/...scussions.html
http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Je...UV/ratings.htm

After some research you will find that the Jeep Compass is not highly thought of by
owners nor the automotive press. It is not really a Jeep but uses the Dodge Caliper.
Here is the report from Kelley Blue Book review:

The 2012 Jeep Compass and its corporate sibling, the Patriot, are anomalies for the Jeep brand. Born not of hunting, fishing or the Great Escape, they were based on the Dodge Caliber, which resulted in two small crossover utility vehicles that are neither fish nor fowl. As a Jeep, the 2012 Compass falls woefully short in terms of off-road capability (although it's not bad on slippery surfaces), while as a small 5-door it's only mediocre in its efficiency, utility and fun-to-drive factors. Even with the significant improvements thrown at the model in 2011 and the availability of 4-wheel-drive (4WD) models as well front-wheel drive (FWD), the 2012 Jeep Compass is a product of the old Chrysler Corporation and not really up to being categorized as a true Jeep.

You'll Like This Car If...
The 2012 Compass is an accessory for those whose idea of "off-road" extends no farther than a dirt parking lot at the football stadium. Just don't expect it to be a genuine Jeep.

You May Not Like This Car If...
If you are a true Jeep enthusiast looking for an entry-level price point and a modicum of economy, you'll ultimately be disappointed by the car-based credentials of the Jeep Compass; a base Grand Cherokee would provide you with a far more capable choice. If your needs and tastes lean toward a car-based crossover, we'd suggest a Subaru Forester if you want something more expansive, or a Nissan Juke if you'd like something more expressive.

Make sure that your really, really want one of these before you start visiting sellers. Get all your information together on this vehicle. Knowledge will keep you from being taken for a ride.

Hey guys, there is NO SUCH THING as RPMS. There is NO "S" in RPM.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but not nearly as much as ignorance.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
floki84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
First of all, slow down and do some research.

Start here:

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ems-questions/
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/compass/...scussions.html
http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Je...UV/ratings.htm

After some research you will find that the Jeep Compass is not highly thought of by
owners nor the automotive press. It is not really a Jeep but uses the Dodge Caliper.
Here is the report from Kelley Blue Book review:

The 2012 Jeep Compass and its corporate sibling, the Patriot, are anomalies for the Jeep brand. Born not of hunting, fishing or the Great Escape, they were based on the Dodge Caliber, which resulted in two small crossover utility vehicles that are neither fish nor fowl. As a Jeep, the 2012 Compass falls woefully short in terms of off-road capability (although it's not bad on slippery surfaces), while as a small 5-door it's only mediocre in its efficiency, utility and fun-to-drive factors. Even with the significant improvements thrown at the model in 2011 and the availability of 4-wheel-drive (4WD) models as well front-wheel drive (FWD), the 2012 Jeep Compass is a product of the old Chrysler Corporation and not really up to being categorized as a true Jeep.

You'll Like This Car If...
The 2012 Compass is an accessory for those whose idea of "off-road" extends no farther than a dirt parking lot at the football stadium. Just don't expect it to be a genuine Jeep.

You May Not Like This Car If...
If you are a true Jeep enthusiast looking for an entry-level price point and a modicum of economy, you'll ultimately be disappointed by the car-based credentials of the Jeep Compass; a base Grand Cherokee would provide you with a far more capable choice. If your needs and tastes lean toward a car-based crossover, we'd suggest a Subaru Forester if you want something more expansive, or a Nissan Juke if you'd like something more expressive.

Make sure that your really, really want one of these before you start visiting sellers. Get all your information together on this vehicle. Knowledge will keep you from being taken for a ride.
Hi WDNewman!

Thanks for the reply!

I should have wrote why we're looking at a Jeep Compass and what we need it for:

- relatively new models (max 3 years old) available for less than 20k (The Subaru Forester is just not in our price class)
- has enough space for 2 kids and 1 dog
- we love camping (public camping grounds only) and it would also fit camping equipment besides the 2 kids and the dog

What we don't need it for:
- heavy off-road activities. We are big campers, but we only visit camping grounds (public camping grounds only). Perhaps the one or other fishing spot. But I believe when you Jeep guys talk about off-road, you're talking about the hardcore off-road activities.

Having said that, we are still considering the Jeep Cherokee, though it again is a bit out of our budget.

Even though this is a Jeep forum, which SUV would you suggest that fits our needs and is in our price class?

Cheers!

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2015, 03:23 PM
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Cherokee base model
Honda CR-V (Very highly rated) And available in 4WD if you really, really need it.

Tags
compass , help needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in