Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tips when buying

785 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
So I am looking at buying a 1997 Cherokee and it has 170,000 miles and the owner says she bought it from another owner that replaced the suspension and steering components. I am going to look at it this Saturday and I my biggest concern is the motor really but I will obviously check the rest of the vehicle, I want tips on what to look for when looking at the motor and ways I can diagnose it without any tools just so I can get a good idea of the condition of the engine.

#2 ·
If it's a 4.0L look for leaks from the rear main seal and from the valve cover. Both are common, neither are particularly difficult to fix.

Water pump could be an issue if it's still original and the alternator can take out the battery if it fails so check that out as well. Look at the oil to make sure there are no head issues. Should not be a milky color.

If it was maintained, the 4.0L is a solid motor and will go another 100K easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.