Should I buy a 2015 Unlimited Sahara or 2017 Unlimited Sport? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
itscyran

Should I buy a 2015 Unlimited Sahara or 2017 Unlimited Sport?

Okay, I really need help with making this smart decision. I'm stuck between either purchasing a 2015 Jeep Unlimited Sahara ($29,000) with 48,000 miles fully loaded with all upgrades such as touch display, leather seats, alpine speakers and of course the hard top and fenders are painted. Now, there's the 2017 Jeep Unlimited Sport ($30,000) with 15,000 miles and doesn't have leather seats, no touch display and none of the features that the Sahara has. My budget is $30,000 I'm trying to figure out which one makes more sense purchasing (value wise). I really like the Saharas because they have leather seats, but I know I can get upholstery done to the Unlimited Sport. Also, if I purchase either or i'm still going to make changes to it such as, putting a higher lift, bigger tires, nicer wheels and probably a few little accessories (nothing too major)

In your opinion which one makes more sense purchasing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, the 15 Sahara is out of factory warranty. The 2017 has a year left in time and 21K miles left on the factory warranty. If you want a warranty on the Sahara, that's extra added onto the cost. The Sahara is a 4 year old vehicle, the Sport a 2 year old vehicle. The Sahara was driven 12K miles a year, the Sport 7500 miles a year. Both are considered low mileage but the Sport is really low.

That, to me is worth a couple thousand dollars. The Sahara has the goodies but they all are creature comforts, not much of that adds to it's trail ability.

What it comes down to is this. What are your intended uses for it? Trails or mall crawling? DD or second vehicle? If you are going to build your Jeep out, I would go with the Sport. If it's a soccer mom kid transport/mall crawler I would lean to the Sahara but I still am going to think long and hard about the lack of factory warranty. It is, after all, a FCA vehicle.

It will cost around $3k to buy a hard top, leather skins, power locks and windows and a good aftermarket radio to outfit the Sport to the level of creature comforts of the Sahara and you can do that stuff over time. If the Sahara doesn't have the soft top, add a grand to the cost of the Sahara to get one if you want a soft top. In my opinion, the 430N is an overpriced piece of junk, a good aftermarket unit is so much better. I also think the painted fenders look like crap on most of the Sahara's but thats me.

So, eventually, to get the Sport to the Sahara level it will be $33K. To get the Sahara to the Sport level of soft top and warranty, it's going to be close to $33K and you got to pay for that warranty up front to have full coverage.

It's just my opinion, based on how I use a Jeep, I would be buying the Sport. For you, you may be better off with the Sahara if the bells and whistles are that important.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
IF larger tires is in the Plan. Be sure to get a Jeep with 3.73 gears. Other wise its 3.21 in them all its an option, you need that more then the leather, stickers.... Or plan to regear it and that will add another 1500/2000+. at least the 3.73 will roll the 33s well and can push 35s just wont tow or be peppy.

or find a Rubi with 4.1 now you are closer to 35s and you get lockers lower low range. might be worth the cost used just for the gears and the Tcase.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in