Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Questions? What Jeep Year to avoid, what to get ? Lots of questions!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  waitito 
#1 ·
I'm looking at Jeeps. What I want to use it for is mainly street driving, in the snow. Where I live in the mountains its not unusual to see 4 foot or more of snow at a time. Of course, the roads get plowed , but a low 2 wheel drive wont cut it. So , I was thinking of a Jeep. I just dont like the idea of a boring AWD SUV. So, I have heard great things adn horrible things about Jeeps. Mainly reliability. But if you are offroading a lot it stands to reason things are going to need to be fixed. So, whats the real deal? Are they unreliable? I have heard there are years to avoid. Which years? What should a new Jeep buyer, who is going to buy used be looking for?

#4 ·
I like my 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ but I don't think I would buy another one. My big issue, actually my only issue but its a big one, is that it has surging power problems. I am not sure of the long and short of it but in layman's terms it feels like the computer sometimes has no idea how much fuel it is supposed to be feeding into the engine. I am not in a hurry to sell it right now but I will definitely sell it one day and I wont buy another of that series (1986-1995).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.