JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   Pre shopping questions (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/pre-shopping-questions-4393071/)

JohnW63 04-05-2020 07:57 PM

Pre shopping questions

My wife bought her Wrangler, just after we were married. It's a 1992 with the 4.0 straight 6. It's been dependable. Due to time and weather and failed soft top issues, the interior really needs to be all replaced. I feel bad for letting it get that way. I think we have 80K miles on it.

Back to the point of the thread. I have been looking to replace the dead family Honda mini van, and I have gotten used to having extra room in the back for luggage or runs to the home improvement stores. So, I've been looking at the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. I like the look of the GC better. Not as fond of the MSRP, however, but if there are significant improvements between the two, I would spend the extra.

It's had to really compare on the Jeep web site, because they don't tell how about the things that are better made or that the suspension is stronger or part may be more durable. I guess those are things you learn when you work on them or upgrade them and just flat USE them a lot.

So, if I could get the forum insights on the two lines of Cherokees, that would be a good place to start my learning.

Kruzin 04-05-2020 08:53 PM

The Cherokee is based on a mid-sized Alfa Romeo platform.
The Grand Cherokee is full-sized and shares the Dodge Durango platform.
They're 2 completely different classes with a ton of differences. The vehicles don't share any major components. The only thing similar about them is some styling cues and the Jeep nameplates. You really need to just go and drive them.

cranbiz 04-06-2020 12:04 PM

To add, the Grand Cherokee is based off of the Mercedes ML350 class..

Both are capable but the Grand Cherokee is a much better ride.

I have a Grand, a close friend has both a 15 Cherokee and a 18 Grand Cherokee. When he bought the Cherokee, he was commuting 200 miles a day, he bought it for economy and some limited off road ability. The Grand, he got from his son to help his son out of a bind. I much prefer to ride in his Grand over his Cherokee.

JohnW63 04-06-2020 10:00 PM

Are there any known issues I should know about. Over the last decade, I have not heard great things about Chrysler drive trains and stuff. I tend to keep cars a long time. The newest car we have is a 2009. Can I expect lots of years of good service, if I maintain it properly ?

cranbiz 04-07-2020 08:26 AM

The first Cherokee's had programming issues with the 9 speed transmission. The newer ones (17 and up) appear to be fixed.

Grand Cherokee's with the air suspension can be problematic ( again mostly 12-14). My 17 GC has 65K on it and not a single problem at this point.

JohnW63 04-08-2020 07:39 PM

OK, I'm a bit confused. Is the Grand based off the ML350 or the Durango ?

Kruzin 04-08-2020 07:58 PM

Both the Grand and the Durango are based off the ML350. These models are carry overs from when Mercedes owned Chrysler.
Now that Fiat owns them, all the models are shifting to Fiat and Alfa based models. The next Grand revamp is rumored to also be on an Alfa platform.

JohnW63 04-09-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

The next Grand revamp is rumored to also be on an Alfa platform.

So buy before the change !

Rhanks11 04-10-2020 02:02 AM

Wow, I don`t know that Durango are based off the ML350.

JohnW63 04-10-2020 05:02 PM

What sort of discounts off of MSRP should I expect, if I were to end up on a lot ?

The time now is 08:58 PM.