View Poll Results: So... which one?
Compass 0 0%
Patriot 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Bishbosh1999

Patriot vs compass: which suits me?

Hallo all. New here so don't kill me if it's been asked before.

Been looking at what car to upgrade to next year and as I need more space and something I can realistically insure a compact SUV is looking like the way.

I will be using the car to commute everyday so obviously will steer towards the diesel options.
My question is tho would a compass of patriot be better suited?

I've read that the patriot has better room and overall practicality but It apparently suffers from fairly harsh wind noise which drives me crazy on my current car. Is it really that bad? Or just so compared to the compass?

Also the car will be used for camping, road and festival trips.
Also some light off-roading will be involved with the compass as well as at other miscellaneous times.

Personally I prefer th rugged off-road, well "jeep" look of the patriot but I'm really not sure as it all comes down to which would actually suit me.

Thanks for reading and my advice you give.

-Bish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

I don't know why Jeep even makes both, they're nearly identical with slightly different styling. There isn't a lot of traffic here for either car, and even less for people in not america (i'm guessing you're from the UK?) I'd give them both a drive and see what you think
post #3 of 16 Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Bishbosh1999

Ah gotcha, just wondered in general terms if there were in fact many major differences. Thanks for your help matey

post #4 of 16 Old 11-19-2017, 01:33 PM
kyjeepster41
2015 KL Cherokee 

Have you considered a Cherokee? Especially since you're interested in some light off-roading. The Patriot and Compass aren't necessarily a Jeep's Jeep. The Cherokee would provide the smaller size of crossover and ease of use as a commuting vehicle, with some decent 4 x 4 chops.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Stay away from anything with the CVT transmission. They are a nightmare.

One of the guys in my club has a Patriot for his wife and can't wait to get rid of it. The CVT transmission has a fault when it gets too hot and goes into limp mode. This unfortunately occurs on days when the temps are in their 90's here in NC. This is just using it for standard highway driving. The dealers can't seem to find anything wrong and keep saying it's normal.

Normal for a transmission to overheat and shut down on a 60 mile drive on an interstate? I don't think so and neither does he.

I would seriously look at the Cherokee, which has a "normal" 8 speed transmission.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Bishbosh1999

I agree, but will the Cherokee be possible?

I agree with what your saying about the CVT, in fact I've already promised myself I won't get one just because they are so boring to drive and can face so many problems.

The Cherokee would actually be awesome, but my main focus on the patriot was getting the diesel with the 42mpg figure on it. Would a Cherokee have a diesel model at all? Also the Cherokee wasn't a crossover until 2014 so would I be able to realistically get one at a decent price second hand? Bear in mind I don't have a huge amount of money to spend here.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 10:51 AM
kyjeepster41
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I would seriously look at the Cherokee, which has a "normal" 8 speed transmission.
Well, technically the Cherokee has the 9-speed although I've yet to meet anyone who has made it to that elusive 9th speed haha.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM
kyjeepster41
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishbosh1999 View Post
The Cherokee would actually be awesome, but my main focus on the patriot was getting the diesel with the 42mpg figure on it. Would a Cherokee have a diesel model at all? Also the Cherokee wasn't a crossover until 2014 so would I be able to realistically get one at a decent price second hand? Bear in mind I don't have a huge amount of money to spend here.
A Cherokee is made with a 2.0 L diesel is available, but currently only in the European market.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 AM
03LL
2003 KJ Liberty 

From what I know about the Patriot and the Compass is that they are cheap cars meant for entry-level buyers. They are clearly "Car-SUVs" and not "Truck-SUVs". They're meant to stick on paved roads.

Jeep is still trying to find that right balance at a good price point. I thought the Liberty was pretty close, and it's too bad it was discontinued. It could have benefited from a boost in MPG like the modern Jeeps have obtained, and could still be a solid vehicle today in Jeep's lineup with some refreshed styling, but keeping its character as a "truck" and not to turn it into a boring crossover like everything else. A Jeep Liberty that can do 20/25 MPG w/ a V6 I think would sell pretty well in today's market.

I think it's weird for Jeep to have both the Patriot and the Compass. Arent' they built on the same chassis? They likely have very similar interior room, cargo, and towing compacity. I'm not sure what the difference really is other than styling. I tend to remember that the Patriot was Liberty's replacement, and it was a pretty poor replacement. Congrats, here's a smaller car, cheaper car, less towing capacity, and way less soul! But hey, you gain a few MPG

The Cherokee is definitely the better vehicle compared to the Patriot and the Compass. The gas mileage is pretty darn good. Personally though, the styling doesn't fit my personality. It looks like every other cross-over SUV to my eyes. It feels like something more for a family, and less for a single person, or a couple.

I was given a Compass to borrow for a few days during a repair. It's a very boring car. Nothing was particularly nice about it. This was back in 2013. It's so bland that I have nothing else to say about it.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Bishbosh1999

Hang on!

Im in the UK so unless you were excluding us from the european market that 2L might be an option! time for a quick gumtree and confused.com search.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LL View Post
I tend to remember that the Patriot was Liberty's replacement, and it was a pretty poor replacement. Congrats, here's a smaller car, cheaper car, less towing capacity, and way less soul! But hey, you gain a few MPG
Same could be said when they went from the XJ Cherokee to the Liberty... except you didn't gain any MPG...
post #12 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM
03LL
2003 KJ Liberty 

The Liberty -> Patriot was such a weird replacement that it didn't even answer to the same user needs.

Curious what user needs were left out with the Cherokee XJ to the Liberty. Both have the same (or near it) MPG, towing capacity, and interior room. Infact, the Liberty has the XJ beat on more interior areas for roominess. Both are trucks. Infact, the Liberty has more HP and TQ than the XJ....
post #13 of 16 Old 11-20-2017, 08:31 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LL View Post
The Liberty -> Patriot was such a weird replacement that it didn't even answer to the same user needs.

Curious what user needs were left out with the Cherokee XJ to the Liberty. Both have the same (or near it) MPG, towing capacity, and interior room. Infact, the Liberty has the XJ beat on more interior areas for roominess. Both are trucks. Infact, the Liberty has more HP and TQ than the XJ....
A bit of a derail, but I've spent a LOT of time in both. I think numerically the numbers are similar for cargo room, but practically it's not even close. The liberty may have more HP and torque, but it's also 800 lbs heavier. The Liberty does ride and handle nicer, but once you go off road (the reason you own one?!?) it's not a remotely fair fight. The Patriot was as blasphemous to the liberty as the liberty was to the xj, but was the point in which the off roading genes died out.

The one concession I will give you, is that it is impossible for a liberty to death wobble...
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Bishbosh1999

Death wobble isn’t a massive concern as I’d be driving it like a jeep as opposed to a gtr. However having just checked the insurance for the old 2.5 diesel Cherokee there isn’t much chance of this being viable. Lowest I could get without a blackbox was about 2200 which I don’t have!

The patriot was about 1200 with no blackbox for the diesel option.

Any ideas how I might be able to get my hands on the newere 2L diesel Cherokee for peanuts?

Much prefer the Cherokee overall but I’m sure I could live with the patriot.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Death wobble only happens on solid front axle vehicles, and it doesn't matter how you drive it if you start getting them.

Anyways, the Patriot or Compass would probably be just fine for your uses. Plus, in the UK I'd want the narrowest, smallest car I could possibly have. Especially if you might end up driving anywhere in Wales.

Tags
compass , patriot , wind noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in