Newbie questions for a CJ7 purchase? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
wannacj7

Newbie questions for a CJ7 purchase?

I've been browsing for a late 70's CJ7 for a long time, and have found one within an hour drive that seems to be pretty good. I've never worked on cars, but want to use this as a light introduction as well as be a fun 2nd car with younger kids and dogs on weekend. No plans to go rock crawling or hardcore offroad, but might do some light trail/beach in nicer weather.

I'll be bringing it to a trusted mechanic for a check-up before purchase, but I wanted to know what kinds of questions I should be asking to verify that the car is worth further investigation. If I go to inspect and test drive I'll look for major rust spots underneath, but didn't know what I should be asking ahead of time.

Description is: 78 CJ7, 304 V8 quadra-trac automatic with 4 inch lift kit. New exterior paint, new interior, fuel tank, exhaust, alternator and radiator. It's a little on the high side of pricing for the area for private sale, but if it doesn't require major work then it might be worth it. I won't be looking to resell it any time soon, so making profit or being "true original" isn't my goal.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Having to rely on a mechanic to keep a 40 year old carbed Jeep running properly is going to be expensive. Have you considered a fuel injected YJ with the 4.0 instead?

Make sure and inspect the entire undercarriage for rust. You should spend at least an hour probing the frame for weak spots.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
wannacj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Having to rely on a mechanic to keep a 40 year old carbed Jeep running properly is going to be expensive. Have you considered a fuel injected YJ with the 4.0 instead?

Make sure and inspect the entire undercarriage for rust. You should spend at least an hour probing the frame for weak spots.
Not a fan of the YJ look. I've been wanting the old CJ for a very long time.

I'm using the mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection to go deeper than I'll be able to (or understand how to yet). I'm expecting to learn how to do the maint myself. My father-in-law has rebuilt lots of old cars, and will help teach me. It won't be my daily driver so I'm not worried if it's out of commission for periods of time.

Just poke at the frame/undercarriage with a screwdriver and see if I can poke through? New interior/exterior in black has me concerned just from what I've been reading, but it could be nothing to worry about.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Lunakyra

Something I never thought to look for before I purchased my CJ7 is signs it has been rolled. Sounds obvious/silly but I had no clue and took me over a year of trying to diagnose why the thing drives..off. Not straight and not in the normal jeep steering way. But if you look at mine dead on from the front you can see that it is tweaked ever so slightly. As people posted above me the frame is just as important as the other parts that tend to get more attention and is not as easy to fix as just putting in a new alternator or what have you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in