New to the world here...seeking advice/thoughts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
glenpod

New to the world here...seeking advice/thoughts

Hey all, pretty much since I could drive like many I've always wanted a Wrangler but was never in the position to get one, then the Unlimiteds came out and then really wanted one but again haven't been in the position for various reasons. Well, the time has come that I am in the position, this would be a weekend type ride used mostly for around town and fun weekend type trips. What are the opinions on a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It has clean Carfax and looks in solid condition. It has 102k miles on it, asking 17.9k. My questions are; what should I be looking for in terms of mechanical issues, etc, what maintenance items should have been done so I know what am I in store for if they were not done? And lastly, any thoughts on the price point/risk 100k miles are appreciated. Hoping this is the right forum!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Honestly, you should be able to get a 12+ for that kind of money. Personally I would look for a 12+ because of the better engine/transmission combination. The NAG1 with the 3.6L Pentastar is far superior to the 3.8L and the 42RFE transmission.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
glenpod

thank you, it is good to know about the 12+, believe it or not they are pretty tough to come by in the NJ area. I was considering driving over 2hrs away to see this one, maybe because I am looking for the Sahara's in the 15k-20k range (with no reported accidents). I'm not really in rush but more impatient than anything .

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 09:54 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

That price range shouldn't be an issue but as you said, you might have to travel a bit.

Patience is the key, they pop up all the time. The further south or mid west you go will yield a more rust free JKU and would be worth the trip.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
glenpod

thank you, and I am willing to travel and I am also opening up my search parameters. I found a nice 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport w/ 118k on it asking 16,995k. Is there sweet spot for mileage? For example, many times people get rid of their cars 90k-100k miles just before timing belt etc needs to be replaced, etc. Is say 110k - 130k better in that sense or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, my 12 has 103K on it now and it hasn't had any engine issues since the replacement head was put on it at 25K. The head was due to a defect that all 12's and some early 13's had and almost all of them have been replaced. The ones that haven't are under warranty until 150K miles.

As far as the timing belt life, I, myself, wouldn't be worried about it before 200K.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
glenpod

thank you!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-16-2020, 08:10 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
That price range shouldn't be an issue but as you said, you might have to travel a bit.

Patience is the key, they pop up all the time. The further south or mid west you go will yield a more rust free JKU and would be worth the trip.
X2 on this. When I bought my wrangler years ago, I looked at countless vehicles in the Dallas/ft worth area for almost 4 months. Ended up finding mine 6 states and 1100 miles away.

Continue to go look at as many as you can, best way to educate yourself.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in