New to Jeeps.... Need Advice :) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2jhanna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
PeteZ06

New to Jeeps.... Need Advice :)

Hi all.. I joined to get some advice from the experts.

The wife is looking to purchase a Jeep to tool around in on the weekend with the top off... looking to spend up to $8K.. must be automatic. What should we be leaning towards or staying away from?
I'm a total Jeep ignoramus... so please be gentle

I have a lifted/armored 4Runner that I use mostly as a winter ride... but in the past it has seen its fair share of off-roading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2019, 06:27 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So your wife is wanting to drive around with her top off, neat. What city do you guys live in.

For $8k you should be able to get a early TJ, 97-99. If you aren't going to heavy mod or off road it, a 4 cyl shoukd be fine. Most guys don't care for the 4 cyl as it can be underpowered, but in stock form for top of tooling around, is a good platform.

Starting checking Craigslist in your area, and go look at/test drive as many as you can. Take your wife along also. Modded, stock, even those that are over/under your price. All of this effort will educate you guys. Test drives are still free.

Be aware that in many areas of the country, wranglers can suffer from rust. Other issues can be fixed, but major rust is like a cancer.
bharris68 and kiton1 like this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 3 Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
bharris68
Unsupervised Adult
1989 YJ Wrangler 

agreed - my wife and I found her 97 TJ many years ago with the MPI 4 cylinder and it's been a honey of a little ride. we paid 7K cash then and other than a 2" lift and 4 new rims/tires, it was bone stock with a hardtop and hard doors. Closer to stock is good, only because it will be easier to understand and make changes to: Fewer things have been molested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in