New To Jeeps - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RubiconFreedom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Dakotam95

New To Jeeps

I am looking to purchase a new jeep! Looking in the nashville TN area. I would like get some opinions on which model i should be looking to purchase. I have been looking at the wrangler sport and the sport s. I am looking to start slowly upgrading the jeep and keep it in the family for some time. Minor off roading in the future. Any suggestions or things to look for? Ive been looking at 2015 - 2019 jeeps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 01:53 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Premature welcome to #WranglerLife I can't verify a particular dealership if that's the route you're taking. But as for the Jeep wrangler sport of S both of these would be a base daily driver as they have street gears of 3.21 unless otherwise stated within the ads. If You're looking to mod the wrangler yourself or have shops do the work for you, the sport is the lesser model. and would come with either smaller tires and 16'' wheels as the S would have 17'' wheels and better tires.

If you're searching for something that's already been modified, try to get as much info as you can on who did these upgrades. If the Wrangler is a sport or S and has been lifted with larger tires than stock. chances are someone simply threw this jeep together without re-gearing. I would say an average price for a used 2017 is running around 25K - 28K depending on miles. Remember modifications to preexisting wrangler should not be added within the end price.

Right now is a buyers market because old wranglers are showing up at dealership in preparation for the New JL or new Gladiator. Ideally, 2015 - 2018 JK/JKU would be you best option. However, if you're adventurous and wanting in on the JL or Jt just be prepared for new things which aren't on the JK/JKU models. Things like ESS drives a few new Wrangler owners crazy. if you're not familiar with ESS or other terms used for the JL/JT models.. do your homework first and if you're unsure of what to look for, search out a friend who already has a wrangler and they can walk your through possible issues or concerns with the Wrangler you're searching for.
Dakotam95 likes this.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Dakotam95

thanks so much for the insight!
In your opinion would it be better buy a stock jeep and then mod myself? I like the fact that the Wrangler sport s has automatic locks and windows etc. Like I said prior I would like the ability to do some light off roading, not trying to rock crawl or anything hard core.
-
To your point about changing the gears; is that something that is time consuming and expensive? because I think most of the fun would be to buy a stock jeep and slowly mod it to my preferences. my first mod would likely be to put some bigger tires on the jeep so what could I reasonable expect to pay to have this done vs do it myself? I would want to make sure it is done correctly, not just throw some bigger tires on. I also don't like the idea of buying someone else modded jeep as I don't trust them to have done a proper job.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

I wanted to follow this up with you yesterday, but life calls, so I wasnt able to return in time to complete my suggestions. However, this morning, I've had a chance to view some jeeps in your area. Although I've never used carvana this would be a great place to start to view a long list of jeeps in your area (TN). Using the carvana site, you can scroll though and get an idea of what you're looking for. Again I've never used this service, but would like to try it one day while searching for a second car. The point of using carvana is just to get an idea.

You seem to be wanting to do the mods yourself, and I would hope that your mechanical skills are better than some shade tree mechanics. Theres a couple of main reasons to re-gear. One being that you may or may not want to haul trailers etc. the other would be if and when you lift the jeep and mount larger tires your fuel economy will go out the window. granted the jeep isn't or doesn't drive like a chevy or ford truck.

In this we thought ahead and had the factory re-gear our jeep for future hauling. But knowing this we've also lifted the jeep 2.5 and larger wheels & tires are on the way. So if you're handy enough to do the mods yourself, by all means. But just a word of warning, if you tamper with the engine drive train while there is still a powertain warranty, the dealership could void the warranty. so leave the major installs to a trained professional.

I think in your case, an older Rubicon (which has the 4.10 gears) or a willys wheeler (which has the 3.73 gears) would be best suited for you. use the carvana site to get an idea, but be warned, the % of those wranglers could have been tampered with by the previous owners which is common place unless you special ordered in new like we did. Used Jeep wrangler will come with a set of head aches or even failed installations. 90% of this is due to having a shimmy or wobble which would need to be address soon after purchase.

I was going to say if one could have waited till July or later, we could met up with you in TN and go over a few of those wranglers you've selected. Key areas would be worn bushing, worn steering components, worn shocks, radiator issues, crankshaft sensor issues etc.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Dakotam95

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the insight! I have found a 2018 Sahara with 10k miles for 30k. I think it is a good deal and it is stock. I don't think I have to worry about anyone wheeling in it. I also found a 2017 rubicon with 18k miles for 34k. but they may have wheeled in it some. so we will see. I just wanted to update you! thanks so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in