New to Jeep - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 92XJT
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Ballistic17

New to Jeep

Hello everyone. New to Jeeps and looking at getting a Jku here in the next few weeks. Here are a few I am looking at. Any things I should watch out for, pros or cons? Thanks

First one is a 09 manual Rubicon with 132k miles. Here's what the seller said...
Upgraded parts with some of the top brands on the market like TeraFlex, Falcon Shocks, Factor 55, Poison Spyder, Smittybilt, Wilco Offroad, and more. Complete upgraded parts list below. I am also tossing in some extra items like a Cobra CB radio, Traction Mats, Snatch Pulley, Superchip Flash Cal (since it is programmed to the VIN), and more to have you ready for the trails. Super smooth ride with no issues, I put my time into this build. Exterior is in great shape with some scrapes and scratches, but that is expected with a Jeep.

Future JKU owner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Ballistic17

Here's the second one. A 2013 Unlimited Sport with 59k miles. This one is at a dealer and not much listed. Just the normal dealer listed stuff. Looks like a few nice upgrades.

Future JKU owner...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Ballistic17

And the third. A 2014 Rubicon with 105k miles. Here's what the seller listed... 2.5 iron rock lift 35" tires 9500lb new winch and winch bumper, water tank in rear bumper & k&n filter. Everything works perfectly.

Future JKU owner...

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

How are you going to use it?

For off road use, I would probably be looking at the Rubicon. It has most of whats important from the factory and the gearing is going to be at minimum, 3.73's.

Without knowing the gear ratios of the first 2 Jeeps, I would be hesitant to be buying either. Larger tires need different gears than the stock 3.21's. The 09 wouldn't be on my short list simply due to the 3.8L motor. The 3.6L motor in the other 2 is a better motor.

I wouldn't want to a pay a premium for the mods others have done either. You don't know if they were done right.

What are the prices? If we know that, we can advise if they are overpriced.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

With the three you've selected, you've already got a leg up because all of these have some modification to them. Then the question would be which one had the correct modifications you're looking for or which of these three are you going to re-mod with your own options. I'd search the vin to find out which has the best options, but even then, a couple of these aren't going to list if a re-gearing has taken place. Because we've went through this twice on two different JK's we just didn't like how someone else modified them. So we ended up special ordering a bare bone stock so we could mod ourselves. Knowing this, how much would you save if you located a barebone as compared to purchasing one of these. The money you save would be used to install all those items you wanted in the first place.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Ballistic17

I will be using it more for a daily driver during the week and a weekend trail rig here in MN. The 09 is priced at $20.5k. The orange 13 is 27.9k and the 14 Rubi is 27.5k. I'll look more at the 3.6 motor models now. 2012 and newer. And I am liking the 14 Rubi the most right now.

Future JKU owner...
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 AM
92XJT

2016 JK Wrangler 

The '13 price seems high, at least it would be in this area. I picked up my '16 JKU with 20k on it for $30k. It was already lifted 2.5", 35" BFGs, LED light upgrade front and rear and more.
As mentioned the 12s and newer had the 3.6 which netted more hp and fuel economy, well in conjunction with different trans. 35s and stock 3.21 gears are doable for a bit. The previous owner of mine drove from WI to Colorado and wheeled for a few days with that setup. Said hills not as fun, but again doable.
Ballistic17 likes this.

'14 Ram 2500
'16 WK2 75th addition
'16 JKU 2.5" lift, 35s, 4.56 gears, lockers
CJ6, 47 willys cj2a
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Ballistic17

I am leaning more towards the 14 Rubi. It's owned by my close friends brother in law and he said it has been well taken care of. Trying to get more info on what has been done to it.

Future JKU owner...
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 11:25 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
If i was getting a used Rubi for this kind of money. In auto. #1 4.1 gears option, could careless if it had a radio heated seats etc...... That combo will do 35s/ min gear. wont tow well though. Off road it will do well. Not like you want to pay this much and pay another 2k in a gear shop. It was an option or it will be 3.73 on any JKR auto. dont sound like much but for this auto it is. especially if had 32s like stock. made it rather quick in the 2 door for a heep. its a hit on mpg but not much and 35s mine was 18mpg but a 2 door. 32s was 19 best on 4.1.

much of the lifts is hype at 2.5 and less since that can be done lowest cost. If say now it had all JJs on the ends quality parts. maybe the lifts worth something still not what those cost new and they tend to be a lot more. reason why people build 2.5 is cost . Most NEVER think about what gears they have, only how cool it looks. the ones with 3.21<<<<< on 35+ might be reason they got tired of it. 4 door is pig its heavy, really helps to have it geared well. and really should be 4.56 on 35s to tow still.
RubiconFreedom likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in