New here, anything will help! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-02-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
creepinjeeps

New here, anything will help!

I don't know much about Jeeps but I know I would like to buy one. I looked on Facebook and saw a yellow 2004 Wrangler SE for $5,495 from a dealership about an hour away. I will insert pictures and the description.

"Runs and drives great clean title only 165k miles. 4x4. 5 speed manual. Newer oversized off road tires. Comes with bikini top and all four factory rims and tires. Also have its fender flares. They were taken off because of the tires. Many after market led lights/bars."

I love the look of it but I'm not so sure about it being a 4-cyl and the price. I currently have a car (I plan to keep) but want something I can take off roads (nothing too crazy) and just have fun in until I'm ready to upgrade to a four door (years down the road). Since I don't really know about them, I came here in hopes of some help. Is it being a 4-cyl vs. 6-cyl a big deal? I've only ever driven 6-cyl and 8-cyl so when I found out it was 4-cyl it kind of made me question if I should get it or not.

Also, what are some things I should check for while I'm there looking at it. This is going to be the first actual vehicle I'm buying and although my dad is going with me and is good at working on vehicles, he isn't really Jeep savvy.

I'm new, don't hate on me 😅
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-06-2019, 03:49 PM
bharris68
Daily Driver
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would start with Consumer Reports and check the reliability of a full-on Chrysler/Diamler/Fiat product.

I have an '89 2.5L 4-cyl with over 230K miles on it, and it's a little dream to drive around in.

Keep the car - always a good idea to have more than one around and NEVER give up a titled vehicle that you OWN and have maintained yourself.

The devil you know always has to be balanced with the devil you don't when it comes to buying cars

So - how BIG are these tires on our little 4 cylinder? Did it have a lot of off road use or was it a mall crawler? If there are 4 big tires and not 5, chances are pretty good it was a mall-crawler - at least in my experience.

What to look for?

1. take a good code reader with you that can capture live data and read engine codes. Make sure to test drive it.
2. look at the tires - inconsistent wear on any one of them?
3. look under the hood and crawl around under it with a flashlight - look for oil and leaks that the dealer was too lazy to clean up.
4. run the VIN through this page: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html and see if there are ANY open recalls that have not been completed.
5. I would recommend that you schedule a "Buyers Inspection" with a private mechanic that you TRUST if you're not comfortable going over the car with a fine-toothed comb on your own.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-07-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
creepinjeeps

I ended up buying it. I took my dad with me and he inspected the exterior things and I the interior. We decided that it had a few minor problems but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Like the throwout bearing needs replaced and sometimes when it starts the aftermarket radio won't come on and the windshield wipers have a funky problem but still work. It doesn't have a spare for the 33s it's currently sitting on but it also doesn't have 5 stock tires either. I can tell its been mudded a little bit from finding dried mud in the interior but I'm okay with it since I wanted it partially for that (not wanting to off road too drastically). It has a sticker on the side of the jeep so I know it belonged to someone who was in a pretty known jeep group thats known for having nice jeeps. with that being said, I shouldn't just completely base it off of that lol but it doesn't seem like it was beat up. The last owner has put some money into her just by repainting (used to be hunter green), adding the front brush guard,adding lights, and LED lights with halos. I test drove it and I didn't find any big issues with it other than with the tires being 33s, it really struggles to speed up to 60mph in 5th gear so 4th gear (even though it takes a minute for it to build momentum to gain speed) has become my friend lol. For the most part I live in a rural area so highways aren't a huge issue. So far I really enjoy driving it around and watching everyone turn around and look at it. I've had it for 3 days and I've already gotten a lot of compliments on it.

I'm new, don't hate on me 😅

post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM
bharris68
Daily Driver
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! You'll want to pick up the 5th. wheel and tire before you go do anything serious. If you NEED a spare, it has to be the same size or you're just screwed.

you may want to consider re-gearing to accommodate the bigger tires so you can use 5th. again - not critical but may be nice to have.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on your new jeep.

Visit the TJ tech forum for help and can learn a lot just by reading.
bharris68 likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in