Need info and help on unlimited as looking to buy - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
firefighterhoke

Looking to buy an unlimited need some help

Like title says looming to buy an u limited 4x4 manual trans but need help with figuring what years are better then other as used to be a Toyota guy new to Jeep world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
firefighterhoke

Need info and help on unlimited as looking to buy

Looking to buy an unlimited that’s manual and 4x4 need help for rest as which year is better and what engine is better as never been a Jeep guy wanna buy one soon so any help and info greatly appreciated
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2020, 09:24 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

My recommendation is to focus on a 12+. The 3.6L is a better motor than the 3.8L in most peoples opinion.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
firefighterhoke

Any other words of wisdom on this subject
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 06:39 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
you will want at minimum 3.73 gear if larger tire are ever a thought. stock all base models will be 3.21. You want max tow option. If you were buying a Rubicon they come 4.1 gears in manual. The manual has less ability to hold torque then the w580 auto, by far. Rubicon autos have 3.73 stock as the trans wont need 4.1 to turn 32s well. Rubicon autos its an option to go 4.1< you want that for 35s as it is min. gear to work ok.

Jeep is another world compared to a Toyota. especially any new Toyota. since a JKs have a solid axles. they are not AWD. part time 4x4. They will be more to maintain as well. There is a reason they say j.e.e.p. just empty every pocket.

3.8s 2007-20011 horrible 4 speed auto from the older jeeps its all about the gear splits was an era thing they all did back then. they put the name slush box in use, they suck....same 6 speed under engineered for the application.
3.6s 2012 to end of the JK line. W580 auto with tap shift very good splits, hard to believe its in a jeep, but its from Mercedes and its a old design that has been around a long time, just not in a jeep time . same 6 speed as older jeeps. 3.6 is not as trouble free as one might hope. long list of odd issues. but its a complicated engine compared to the 3.8 push rod. 3.6 has power and it comes in down low rather well.

I would guess if you put a gun to my head and made me buy another. Jkr is rather good off road. But the 3.6 left a bad taste in my mouth, so im jaded. I would have to get the LJR in a diesel. Maybe its better? My wifes diesel 2003 Excursion 4x4 7.3 has 260,000 miles on the block. runs like a clock still and tows thousand of miles. will dust a Jk easy and it is on 35s gets same mpg at 18 but the Ex has a 44gallon tank and weighs in at over 4tons has 1 ton axles. But If had to buy another 4x4 it would be a Buggy and that would be used too since a well built turn key is like 100k but we are talking a real off road buggy here.

my 2 cents, worthless as it is today. packing up the heep this week and towing with Ex. heading to Kyburz and Rubicon/Fordyce for the spring. 30 days of wheeling hooya

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in